The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

No oil pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxeclipse97

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 7, 2004
Cedar Park, Texas
Ok well i searched for the anwser and i called the shop and they said thats bull shit once there is oil in there it has pressure to start. These were his words and he refused to hear what i was trying to tell him. Is there anything else that would cause no oil pressure that they would listen to.

Well I heard once to open the oil cap while the car was running and give it a little gas and if the oil spewd out and got your shit all oily then you have oil pressure haha its a little price to pay but Id rather that then run her out of oil eekss. Has anyone else heard that?

My oil pressure sensor wire keeps falling off the sendgin unit. look under the the car by your oil filter and see if thier are any loose wires down thier or even if u have an extra plug (the oil pressure sensor) thats not hooked up to anyting. odds are if your car is willing to run for more than a few mins you have oil pressure.

My oil pressure sensor wire keeps falling off the sendgin unit. look under the the car by your oil filter and see if thier are any loose wires down thier or even if u have an extra plug (the oil pressure sensor) thats not hooked up to anyting. odds are if your car is willing to run for more than a few mins you have oil pressure.

That is what I was referring to.

Well I took it to firestone and they said that there was no oil pressure going to the head and they replace the starter. But car still didn't start. Nex it was taken to a different place and they said that there is oil pressure but the timining is 180 degrees off on the exhaust side. The shop that put in the motor did the timing.. So if the timing is off that much would that have bent the valves? Please tell me no I just spent 324 bucks on having the head redone

The way i figure it is that the intake and exhaust valves would be open at the same time and there would not be any compression so it wouldn't bend the valves. If they were some teeth off then they could colide with the pistons.

You don't give a whole lot of info. Was this car worked on then something happened?

If you look into the valve cover through the oil fill hole, you can see oil squirting from the top of the rocker onto the cam lobe.

Why did Firestone replace the starter? Didn't the motor turn over at all?

If it's not starting and you think the valves are bent then pull a plug. you can feel air sucking and blowing from the plug well while cranking. Next would be to get a compression gauge.

Start over for us and step through what's going on.

No the car didn't work before it just had the motor droped in.. The car had a 6-bolt installed but it broke a ring and died. this is the third motor that has been put in the car. it is a 7-bolt but the cam timing is wrong so thats why it won't start.

If the timing was off 180 degree's, your valvetrain would be destroyed, along with your pistons. I think they are full of it

well in all honesty i had a problem with my last build with the timing being off it turned out that i put the crankshaft timing plate on backwards and it threw my timing off never bent anything just couldn't figure out why the car ran horribly till i pulled the number one plug and when my valves were closed my piston was on the way down it even had a nasty clacking sound too....i feel i got very lucky once again....170's across the board but check that plate if it backwards then everything is off even if it looks dead on....even your oil pump......and if the shop thinks that problem of yours is bs then chances are they have no idea what there doing and prabably just going off the book and a prayer.....

Was the oil pan removed for any reason during the engine install? Sometimes the oil pump will loose prime and must be manually primed. I pack vaseline in the pick-up of the oil pump then crank the engine with plugs out and injectors unplugged. Works like a charm. After pump is primed you can change the oil and be okay. There are lots of ways to check oil pressure on our cars, but a pressure gauge tool is best. The quick inaccurate way is pulling valve cover off and cranking, or oil sending unit removal.
Any shop telling you that as long as oil is in the engine, you have oil pressure is just a dangerous and terrible statement to make! I can show you picks of my 7 bolt that lost oil pressure with 5 quarts in it. Send that guy my way so I can slap him.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back