The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

No oil pressure. Rebuilt motor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverspyder

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2002
Lakeville, Minnesota
Hey guys, did a search and tried what I found and still nothing.

Fully rebuilt motor, top and bottom end. New everything. Cranked the motor with fuel pump/MPI fuses pulled and no oil pressure. Manually primed the pump without taking off the timing components and tried cranking her again. STILL nothing. I can't build any oil pressure! It's not just the sending unit either, as I've looked in the oil fill oil and there's not much oil under the valve cover. What should I be doing next?

-Ryan

How did you manually prime it? I have never had luck with getting oil pressure to show on the gauge by just cranking. Prime it with again with someone else cranking the car and watch for it in the valve cover, dont just go by the amount you see in the head through the valve cover.

manually primed it by using a fluid pump and pumping oil through the pressure sending unit until I saw oil coming out from under the rockers. Put in a few more quarts and cranked the engine again. It's not building pressure on the gauge (balance shafts eliminated btw) nor is the oil light going off while cranking. I have had a friend check the valve cover while cranking...it's a fresh build so it would be VERY obvious either way.

You aren't pumping anywhere close to enough pressure to actually register on the gauge. If oil is coming out the rockers than go ahead and start it. If it is put together right than it will be fine.

How long are you cranking it for? I primed mine first by pumping oil through the oil filter housing. At first I tried cranking it for about 10 secs, but nothing. I removed all the spark plugs, the engine spun much faster, and after 10 secs my aftermarket gauge was showing that there was oil pressure.

It usually takes a little bit for the pump to generate pressure. It took me near a minute to get oil up to the head. This is using a drill tho, pump was filled with assembly lube and pan with oil. I think what took so long was the drill speed. Your situation however sounds like maybe your oil sump (pickup tube) gasket may be missing and or not tightened. I would check that if all else fails. Good luck

what kind of bs kit did you use? the ebay one which has no oil grove through it or the one they sell at rre or extreme psi...
buddy had same problem and it ended up being the bs kit he bought. it bought the one with no oil grove.

FWIW -- If I want to prime my turbo after a month park, after disconnecting the injectors, I crank for 20 seconds, pause for 20 seconds (allowing starter motor to cool), and crank for another 20 seconds.

I stated that above^^. Also i dont see how the bse kit will kill oil pressure unless he didnt block off the shaft oiling holes in the block. The stub shaft without groove is shitty but wont kill oil pressure.

You aren't pumping anywhere close to enough pressure to actually register on the gauge. If oil is coming out the rockers than go ahead and start it. If it is put together right than it will be fine.

This^ , it should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back