The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

No more door handle repair kits for sale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i wouldnt really waste my time on getting a repair kit for door handles considering autozone has them for 19.99 with a 14 month warrenty.
i can understand why someone would want to repair them so you dont have to repaint them though.

I don't remember how much the kit was for but I hate bad paint and would buy a kit if another of my handles would break.

I don't remember how much the kit was for but I hate bad paint and would buy a kit if another of my handles would break.

I sold the repair kits for $14.95 delivered to any USA address.

I recently stopped making them because each run of laser-cut parts cost me over $500 up front and it took nearly two years to sell through the parts.

That's not a good investment for me when I only made about $4 per kit after all expenses. Since ebay and Autozone carry the crappy Chinese handles for dirt cheap it seems like people would rather replace (and repaint) their handles over and over instead of fixing them once (no repaint) with my kit.

I did sell over 500 kits since 2003 but the time has come to move on to other things.

Thanks azdave! I did buy one about a month ago, so you must have sold through the last of them within that time frame. Any chance of releasing your design and calling it open source? you could share a scaled pdf template for the steel pieces for those of us who are more adept at metalwork. Just a suggestion.

I just would rather fix my stock handle that's in great shape (and never worry about it) than buy some junk handle that needs to be repainted and then will eventually break. A 14 month warranty on a door handle just isn't good enough for me.

I'm interested in buying a kit or two if someone wants to fab some pieces up.

Me three, I'm on my second set of Chinese door handles this year. They're a pain in the ass to replace.

I'll request a new quote from my laser cutter (maybe work is slower now and he will give me a better deal).

If that doesn't work out I'll find my old drawings to post.

Last edited:
Me three, I'm on my second set of Chinese door handles this year. They're a pain in the ass to replace.

That is no joke! It takes a long time and a sore hand!
I'll request a new quote from my laser cutter (maybe work is slower now and he will give me a better deal).

If that doesn't work out I'll find my old drawings to post.

Thank you, good sir!

Hopefully something works out well to where you can make some decent money off them since you created the design after all.

After getting multiple emails since I announced that the repair kits were discontinued, it appears there is still enough demand so I ordered another run of parts.

I didn't get a price break from the laser cutter (but didn't expect one either since the last batch was done 3-4 years ago). I'll probably add an option to buy only the steel inserts since most people can get 8-32 screws and nuts at a local hardware store. That will save me some trouble and drop a few cents off of the mailing cost too.

I expect a 10-14 day lead time.

Please keep breaking those handles and kits will be ready soon. As thanks for sales I'll be making another site donation to dsmtuners once parts have resumed shipping.

Does 1 kit work for both handles? Or will I have to buy 2 kits? Sorry I'm on a government computer and I cant access that site to see for myself.

one kit has 4 steel inserts and works for both left and right handles. There are 2 inserts required for each handle.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After getting multiple emails since I announced that the repair kits were discontinued, it appears there is still enough demand so I ordered another run of parts.

I didn't get a price break from the laser cutter (but didn't expect one either since the last batch was done 3-4 years ago). I'll probably add an option to buy only the steel inserts since most people can get 8-32 screws and nuts at a local hardware store. That will save me some trouble and drop a few cents off of the mailing cost too.

I expect a 10-14 day lead time.

Please keep breaking those handles and kits will be ready soon. As thanks for sales I'll be making another site donation to dsmtuners once parts have resumed shipping.

Thanks a ton. Today is a good day!

Dave, thanks for making these available again.

The front hinge of my drivers door handle broke off close to where it attaches at the handle. It looks like the inserts extend past that so that it should be able to bridge the fracture and hold it together but I'm just wanting to make sure. Thoughts?

In second pic the fracture can be seen at top edge of the pic.

Attachments

• Miscellaneous 207.jpg
    Miscellaneous 207.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 551
  • Miscellaneous 208.jpg
    Miscellaneous 208.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 542
  • Miscellaneous 212.jpg
    Miscellaneous 212.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 536
Dave, thanks for making these available again.

The front hinge of my drivers door handle broke off close to where it attaches at the handle. It looks like the inserts extend past that so that it should be able to bridge the fracture and hold it together but I'm just wanting to make sure. Thoughts?

In second pic the fracture can be seen at top edge of the pic.

That's the exact thing that happened to my handle a couple years ago. I just got a used OEM handle. I'm not sure that the repair kit will fix it...

I'm not sure that the repair kit will fix it...
I am.

My repair kit will correct any hinge crack no matter where it broke. My inserts were designed to go deep into the handle and run the entire length of the hinge.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back