The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G No lift to shift technique

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDT

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
DSM, California
I need some expert opinion from people who have mastered using NLTS. I have launch control enabled on my car and it is a lot faster/easier than balancing the clutch and throttle but my shifts in between still slow me down a lot because I don't want to be too aggressive on my drivetrain.

I heard using NLTS is actually safer for the drivetrain while being faster at the same time. The thing is, I'm nervous as hell to use it. And the few times that I have attempted, I think I let the clutch out too slowly so I ended up slipping it a bit.

So I'm wondering if the clutch needs to be dumped, or just released quickly for the best results. And also what rpm are you guys hitting before engaging NLTS?

Yeah keeping my foot down is hard but I can do it, dumping the clutch is even harder (for me). So do you release it quickly or just straight up dump it?

It takes practice. Mine is set at 6500 I shift at 9500/9000/8800. Basically I keep my foot trying to push the gas pedal through the floor, and dab the clutch. I'm pulling on the shifter as the clutch is going down. Usually the shift is complete before the clutch hits the floor. Basically the the clutch is down and up as fast as possible. Your RPM's will be much lower than mine, set your nlts at like 60% of your shift rpm. Try setting nlts at 3500 and just do it while your putting around. Take it slow and get the feel of it. You'll be ronnie sox in no time!

Interesting that you're pulling on the shifter before the clutch is fully disengaged, I might have to try that to speed up my shift time. I've been practicing on the 3-4 shift because it's the easiest to do. I tried once on the 1-2 after a launch and the exhaust backfired so loud I thought I broke something.

Thank you for the input about the clutch technique, I wasn't sure how to time it.

I have mine set to engage after I pass 5.5k RPM. To give you a idea my set up is simple which includes a small 16g on a stock 7 bolt, with proper bolts ons yellow top injectors and dsmlink lite on 22 psi with a light clutch set up. I started out by dumping the clutch. I later found I had better pulls and exchanges through gears by doing was already stated above. Cheat a little bit and when the clutch is 70% down go into the next gear quickly, and instead of dumping keep your foot in contact with the pedal and let it shoot your leg back. When your car is waiting for you to shift or the "bum bum bum" wahhhhh haha! Get it to a point you only hear one or two bums. Hope this helps
Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back