The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2006 VW Passat No compression

Does it have bent valves or is it just because the timing is off

• Bent valves

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Timing wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan guzenko

Probationary Member
Mar 22, 2021
Gresham, Oregon
So I just recently did a head rebuild on my 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0t and after putting the car back together I finally decided to start it timing and everything was aligned perfectly far was running smooth but had 2 codes for cylinder misfires which I was thinking was bad spark plugs, but as the car was running I revved it up, coolant was circulating the engine was warming up and it started wanting to die out when I released the throttle. I started hearing the clicking sound coming from the head and when I released the throttle the car just slowly died and it wouldn’t turn over after that, the crankshaft was stuck and it wouldn’t move so I took off the camshaft chain housing and realized that the timing chain that goes on the camshaft the plastic guide for the chain was shattered and pieces of it all over the place there was a large piece of that plastic stuck between the sprocket and the chain. And I removed that piece and got the motor to turn over by hand. So I decided to test the compression because it was turning over way too easily and there was 0 compression on the first 2 cylinders as in the needle for the compression gauge wouldn’t budge. And later I checked the timing marks on the timing belt and noticed that the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks were way off even though I aligned them perfectly and the timing belt was still mounted. I’m wondering if it’s just the timing being off that causing no compression or if it’s bent valves again please help.

Is there some sort of forum crawler you're using to post this? I find it so strange that we get weekly questions about cars we don't cover. We are a forum for 1990s Mitsubishis/Eagle Talons, we have nothing to do with VWs and I doubt anyone here has the platform-specific experience to answer your question.

VWVortex might be more suitable to answer this. But if you have concerns about bent valves, skip the guessing. Pull the head and find out for sure.

A borescope would come in handy for this issue, just put it down into a sparkplug hole and see what you can see.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back