The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G No CEL, ECU unreadable help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian C

Probationary Member
Sep 12, 2020
Wind Gap, Pennsylvania
Ok so I'll go long story short. My 2g GSX caught on fire. Pulled everything, replaced harness and burnt/compromised components but now when car does it system/light check the CEL never lights up, EVER.

Hooked up scanner but it cannot connect to ECU. OBD2 has power, I swapped ECUs, so it does not appear to be the ECU. Check grounds, I believe everything is plugged in as I double and triple check everything. (Not saying it's impossible that I missed something so I'm open to suggestions obviously)

I also get no cranking from starter or fuel from the fuel pump unless I jump the relays, and no spark. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, now tell us all what was up. That's the only obligation you have when posting on the site.
I had a blown fuse for the ECU. It appears good but it was actually broken on the bottom. Although it still won't crank unless starter relay is jumped. So gonna keep looking into that before I post another thread.

I had a blown fuse for the ECU. It appears good but it was actually broken on the bottom. Although it still won't crank unless starter relay is jumped. So gonna keep looking into that before I post another thread.

Thank you. Was the blown fuse the pink 30A MFI fusible Link #4?

WRT the starter you need to know if you have the factory theft alarm or any aftermarket alarm installed and we would also need to know MTX or ATX.

Thank you. Was the blown fuse the pink 30A MFI fusible Link #4?

WRT the starter you need to know if you have the factory theft alarm or any aftermarket alarm installed and we would also need to know MTX or ATX.
Yes it was

20a Motor Fuse was blown. I don't believe there's an aftermarket alarm. I will check that lighter fuse mentioned above.

Maybe its similar problem, but my starter is also having problems and my obd2 power port went out.

The 2g manual starters can be found on ebay for around $45-$65 shipped brand new. You will want to be sure to make sure they specifically list for manual transmission

At the parts stores they are $118 reman, I got one new one ebay for $65

Lighter fuse was good. Its a manual trans. It was starting with the starter relay jumped but now it's not. I got fuel pump, I checked signal wire connection to starter. I guess I just gotta see if the starter is getting power or not. It was working earlier last week but not now. Just gonna keep on looking.

How did you check the signal wire connection to starter?
Were you seeing battery voltage at the S terminal when the ignition switch was in the START position?
Are all the starter bolts tight? (They are the ground connection)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does you car have the factory theft alarm or any aftermarket alarm?
Turbo Timer?

How did you check the signal wire connection to starter?
Were you seeing battery voltage at the S terminal when the ignition switch was in the START position?
Are all the starter bolts tight? (They are the ground connection)

Does you car have the factory theft alarm or any aftermarket alarm?
Turbo Timer?
Yeah I'm gonna check that next. Should be stock alarm system and it does have a turbo timer

Should be stock alarm system and it does have a turbo timer

Both of those are going to be involved. The timer usually get put in between the ignition switch and the car and the factory alarm interrupts the start circuit to do it's job.

I've seen capacitors go bad in the ETACS ECU before.

Turns out I killed 2 starters. I didn't reconnect the relay yet to see if it works. Will do that next now that the car starts again.

You sure the power locks fuse is good? That's what gives power to the obd2 port.

I fixed my issue, the passengers door handle had the key cylinder pushed in and the stupid sensor for auto unlock on the ignition cylinder was twisted so it kept trying to unlock my doors constantly and would blow the fuse. If you unplug the harness from inside the door the problem went away

You sure the power locks fuse is good? That's what gives power to the obd2 port.

I fixed my issue, the passengers door handle had the key cylinder pushed in and the stupid sensor for auto unlock on the ignition cylinder was twisted so it kept trying to unlock my doors constantly and would blow the fuse. If you unplug the harness from inside the door the problem went away

My OBD2 port works. ECU works. I just gotta check that relay to be sure my issues are 100% solved.

Gotcha. For what its worth on my project car second Gen's when they have starter issues I typically have problems with ignition switches

Im not sure why but the last two 98-99 model gst's I've had both experienced issues that in order for the starter to work 100% of the time I have to push the key into the column as I turn the key in order for the cars to start. If you just put the key in the ignition and turn them normally sometimes they wont engage the starter. But if you push the key in as you turn it the car will start normally.

It does sound like you are having a relay issue though, make sure you check the grounding points under the dash behind the radio to ensure they are getting a strong ground connection

I was able to get a brand new starter on ebay for $59 and it works great, just make sure its for a manual transmission. (The bendix failed on my current starter, it would spin and not pop out to engage the flywheel)

If you're still not able to read codes but you get power to the OBD, that's a grounding issue, I just dealt with exact same problem at work

If you're still not able to read codes but you get power to the OBD, that's a grounding issue, I just dealt with exact same problem at work
Everything works now except my ignition relay. I have to bypass the relays to start the car

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back