The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

no cat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inimeg6482

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2011
philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I just bought a 1990 eagle talon tsi awd and it has a 3 inch exhaust with no cat. and i need to get it inspected ASAP. Is it better to just buy a high flow cat or try to find a place to pass it. How much does the typical high flow cat system cost?:confused:

:hmm: Am I loosing a measurable amount of power by adding a high flow cat? Im in the philadelphia area and there seems to be no tuner shop that does installations near me.(could be wrong) How much has to taken apart to add a high flow cat.?

As far as your amount of power decreased by adding a high-flow cat, I do not think that you have to worry about that. There are plenty of people making very decent power with a cat.

If you were to change your cat, you just have to get it in ther air, and get the bolts to the cat loose. This may be a pain do to the fact that you car is not brand new (rust,corrosion, etc.) After you get those busted loose, remove the cat, install the new cat, bolt it up with new bolts and some locktite.

I had to remove my cat on my car. I happened to have a clogged one. It would only allow me to build 2psi on a EvoIII 16g. But this was only because it was clogged. I now just have a test pipe (cat delete) installed so I do not have to worry about it. A shop will not do that for you though. For they along with yourself can be fined for it. That, and the fact that you will probably not pass inspection. Hope this helped.

I was literally just in the same spot as you. I went to a muffler shop, ordered a 3" vibrant hi flow cat and had him fit it to replace my test pipe. He welded flanges on it so it bolts in place of the test pipe and I can switch between the two if I ever want to. He even welded the cat at an angle to give me more clearance with my driveshaft. Cat cost $110 and labor was $100.

I just got done having my emissions tested this morning and passed with flying colors. I haven't noticed a difference in the butt dyno but the smell is gone.

Get yourself any CAT regardless if it's highflow or not. When you go to the exhaust shop tell them to flange the CAT onto the pipe and the cut section of pipe is to be flanged as well for your test pipe. They cannot legally install the test pipe but they can flange one up for you.

This way when you need to get inspected you put the CAT on and any other time you can run the test pipe.

i say get a cat from junk yard put it in to pass than put the straight pipe back on LOL

im so glad we dont have to have ourcars inspected here in ohio... thank god mine would fail on the spot LOL you also could just get a stock exhaust to get it inspected than put that 3 inch straight pipe back on afterwords...

Exactly what Liquid says...I had everything cut and flanged, so when it is time for DEQ, it takes 10 min to swap it out, and it passes with no problem. I use a regular cat, not high flow, because it's coming right back off anyway.

Does your state check for noise? Even with a cat, it may not be quiet enough. OR does, so I had a simple little 'silencer' made that works well. Get an extra flange and weld in some washers to block it up, and it will quiet it right down. Due to the lack of power, the drive to the testing center will be rather uneventful, but hey, it will be a lot quieter.

Attachments

• DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 76
When I bought my 3", I was afraid for inspections too so I bought the cheapest cat I could find, this one only $63 and you can find them for even a little cheaper if you look.
Amazon.com: Magnaflow 91005 Universal Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant): Automotive
I decided against welding it on...
I've heard of people hollowing out there cats to give the allusion of having one when they put them on too, thats an idea too

http://www.amazon.com/High-Flow-Ceramic-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B002WMY0BY
Or I bought that one but it was in the $60 range from summitracing.com

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back