1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

No bent valves!!!

Posted by GSTurbo1, Sep 21, 2012

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. GSTurbo1

GSTurbo1 Proven Member

Joined May 2, 2012
    Pickens, SC, South Carolina
    Pulled the head on the eclipse for no reason :/ pressure test showed perfect seals by the valves. Guess my timing was so far out compression suffered big time and of course, no start. Anybody close to me want to make some money helping me get my car timed dead on?

Oh... and my timing belt slipped, thought I had bent valves on account of no/low compression and no start.

637  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  2. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    Very lucky. If you want to go above and beyond and have absolute accurate timing, you want adjustable cam gears and to degree them by measuring the degrees at which certain lift amounts occur. However, I don't know if these numbers are provided for stock cams... I always thought it would be cool to do away with the timing belt and build some sort of right angle gear and shaft system. Then you could truly eliminate all jitter without going to a timing chain.

3. BogusSVO

BogusSVO Proven Member

Joined Jul 1, 2009
    Pensacola, Florida
  4. isantop

isantop Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    That, and a gear drive would be nearly trouble free!

5. GSTurbo1

GSTurbo1 Proven Member

Joined May 2, 2012
    Pickens, SC, South Carolina
    Well let's brainstorm and make it happen... haha. The guys at that machine shop are on the money man, I asked the guys at the shop and they said they vacuum test. They serviced the head about a week before I did all this.

637  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  6. LOLVTEC

LOLVTEC Proven Member

Joined Dec 1, 2011
    Los Angeles, California
    Cam gears to absolutely nothing!!! Just read up on vfaq about timing. Proper tension for the auto tensioner is when you can slid the grenade pin in and out once you have set the timing.

7. ramsack

ramsack Proven Member

Joined Dec 27, 2007
    West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    There are tolerances. Not every block and head is the same. Timing is approximate. If you mill the head or the block, timing will be off. When did I say anything about tension?