The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

No bent valves!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTurbo1

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2012
Pickens, SC, South_Carolina
Pulled the head on the eclipse for no reason :/ pressure test showed perfect seals by the valves. Guess my timing was so far out compression suffered big time and of course, no start. Anybody close to me want to make some money helping me get my car timed dead on?

Oh... and my timing belt slipped, thought I had bent valves on account of no/low compression and no start.

Very lucky. If you want to go above and beyond and have absolute accurate timing, you want adjustable cam gears and to degree them by measuring the degrees at which certain lift amounts occur. However, I don't know if these numbers are provided for stock cams... I always thought it would be cool to do away with the timing belt and build some sort of right angle gear and shaft system. Then you could truly eliminate all jitter without going to a timing chain.

Very lucky. If you want to go above and beyond and have absolute accurate timing, you want adjustable cam gears and to degree them by measuring the degrees at which certain lift amounts occur. However, I don't know if these numbers are provided for stock cams... I always thought it would be cool to do away with the timing belt and build some sort of right angle gear and shaft system. Then you could truly eliminate all jitter without going to a timing chain.

That, and a gear drive would be nearly trouble free!

Well let's brainstorm and make it happen... haha. The guys at that machine shop are on the money man, I asked the guys at the shop and they said they vacuum test. They serviced the head about a week before I did all this.

Cam gears to absolutely nothing!!! Just read up on vfaq about timing. Proper tension for the auto tensioner is when you can slid the grenade pin in and out once you have set the timing.

There are tolerances. Not every block and head is the same. Timing is approximate. If you mill the head or the block, timing will be off. When did I say anything about tension?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back