The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Nitrous with High boost, stock 6 bolt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12's

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 5, 2004
2 ahead of WATUGOT, Minnesota
I just got my car up and running. My new setup is 50 trim, FMIC, 780's, and the supporting mods. I haven't had a chance to tune yet but I plan on running ~20 psi on pump gas. My question is will I be able to safely shoot a 75 shot NX wet kit on top of it? I have a stock 6 bolt block. I am going to be installing ARPs shortly. Will a stock block be able to take the instant 75 hp shot? I am thinking about buting a nitrous controller but cannot find them for sale. Anyone know how much they go for? I am looking for some way to slowely inject N2O and gradually go up to the 75. I am worried about the instant strain on the motor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Stock block can handle 400ish HP.....question is, how much pressure can the stock bottom end handle? I haven't ever seen anybody ask or answer this question.

First off, stock internals are used to the stock boost pressure that we normally tend to run (most of us run what..14-19psi on 16G's and such). Then, you're adding the pressure on the pistons and rods of the nitrous. I'm assuming it would hold, being our 6 bolt blocks are pretty tough. However, I can't actually tell you wether it will or not. I plan on running a 150 shot on a very heavily built bottom end with 26ish psi....But, that's built. There's also the issue which people have brought to my attention about the sudden surge in exhaust gas flow into the turbo from the use of nitrous, and it can damage turbine wheels after so long....so, with this in mind, I wouldn't go with to high of a shot. Start with a 50, and work your way up after your car's gotten used to it. But, since you'll be running a decent amount of boost to begin with, I'm assuming the nitrous surge wouldn't cause as big of a flux in the flow, since you're already at a pretty good amount to begin with.

As for controllers...of course the most exspensive way to go would be the AEM EMS...it can control nitrous....I know NOS makes nitrous controllers, as they had some on display at NOPI 2003. You might wanna try calling them, asking about what models they have, their features, take some notes, and ask for prices. They're not cheap either way.

Well, I have a NX wet kit sitting in my garage. I got it used and it only came with the 75 shot jets. I would like to start with a 35 or 50 shot to begin with anyhow. Quess I will have to call around to see who can get them. I am worried about the instant cylinder pressure with the added N2O. I have read on here that people have made 500 to the wheels on a stock bottom end.

I have never heard about ruining the turbine wheels. I will have to look into that. Don't wanna have to buy another turbo unless I get tired of this one.

jagwired, do you have any pics you can send me ([email protected])? How much do you want? It will work on a NX kit right?

Thanks for the help.

stock 6 bolt internals can and have handled over 500whp on numerous occasions. As for the nitrous questions, I'm also venturing into nitrous this year. But i'm looking to put my car into the 10's on the Green + 50 shot. Word of advice, do NOT spray the car when running pump gas. If you do, turn your boost down to about 15-16psi BEFORE the spray, and retard base timing about 2 deg. On a 50 shot, with race gas, you can prolly leave base timing where it's at, but not on pump gas.

I am really quick on pump gas, but am truly afraid to try spraying the car while on pump gas. Think i'm gonna keep the lo boost setting to 24psi, and run that all day long. Set the high boost setting to 30psi, for the race gas. Then if i really need to get serious, drop boost back down to low setting (24psi), and spray it.

from experience I can say internal wastegates don't like NOS...they tend to overboost or boost creep when the nitrous is activated so watch out...on the other side a friend of mine did 500+ hp on stock internals on a 60 trim@25 psi + 75 shot = 11.02@134 on a FWD 4g63 powered mirage

Even with an external wastegate plan on at least 2psi of extra boost. With an internal it will be more like 5psi. If your going to spray, do so on race gas only and dump your boost to say 19psi and spray a 50hp shot to start and see what happens. You'll likley end up with 24psi of boost anyway with the shot.

Just to give you an example, a buddy with a 360whp miata on a 60trim running racegas picked up 103hp and 111ft/lbs at the wheels with a 50hp shot. The boost surged 2psi and he was running a Tial 35mm..

yeah that's what happens...my friend solved it with a Tial 38mm and a HKS EVC. 25 steady psi...but even like that with a 75 shot it ends up adding 105-110whp...without the shot he did 404 whp...with 75 shot he did 510.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back