The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Nitrous in the heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L2RTSiAWD

Honorary Moderator
20+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2002
Chandler, Arizona
Ok so I'm try to read all the nitrous faqs and searching it talks about the safety valve opening when there is too much pressure in the bottle.

My question is here in az where temps are well over a 100 outside will there be a problem with the nitrous bottle baking all day in the hot sun?

L2RTSiAWD said:
Ok so I'm try to read all the nitrous faqs and searching it talks about the safety valve opening when there is too much pressure in the bottle.

My question is here in az where temps are well over a 100 outside will there be a problem with the nitrous bottle baking all day in the hot sun?

I'd assume it would be better for it than it to be in the cold all day. Since bottle warmers are often used in nitrous setups. But I do not know for sure.

well, the bottle releases the pressure its self. only bad thing about it baking in the az heat, is that you'd have to refill the bottle constantly. that and a weird smell from the bottle pruging itself.

So then do I want to attach something to the bottle so it vents outside the car?

A nitrous bottle does not "purge" itself. It has a rupture disc which blows out and lets all the nitrous come shooting out of it. It would empty the bottle in a few seconds. The rupture disc is only to stop the bottle from blowing up once it exceeds 3000psi. If that ever happend it woudl be like 15 purges all at once and the whole bottle would drain so rapidly it would probablly be covered in frost and freeze solid whatever it was spraying on.

Your bottle would not likely get even to operating temperature in the sun all day. A bottle heater gets really hot really fast, 250+*. It gets almost too hot to touch (the pad that is) and still takes a while to heat up the bottle around 20 mins. I doubt the sun even all day sitting there would even get the bottle to pass 1000psi. My bottle sitting in the sun all day was still never hot enough. I used to heat it off my exhaust from the back of the car when I didn't have a bottle heater. Your best bet for pressure is a bottle heater.

Anyway, bottles don't purge they hold pressure, or release it all when the disc blows. You then have to replace the rupture disc because the bottle will not hold pressure anymore after it blows out. To meet NHRA spec you need a blow down tube wich attaches to the top of the bottle VIA a fitting. NX bottles must change the fitting and rupture disc to have the blow down tube attach. This is only to direct the N20 outside the car if the rupture disc blows on the bottle for some reason.

Thanks jim, just wanted to make sure it was all safe.

L2RTSiAWD said:
Thanks jim, just wanted to make sure it was all safe.

The only think you need to worry about is when your car is being shot up by a machine gun then catches fire. It has a tendency to cause the bottles to just blow up instead of the rupture valve releasing the pressure. In which case you should scream "run nawzzz..."

then how come when its hot here, the bottle hisses, and you can smell it. i was told it was the bottle releasing pressure or purging itself. thats why you dont want it so close to the cab.

DSMJim said:
The only think you need to worry about is when your car is being shot up by a machine gun then catches fire. It has a tendency to cause the bottles to just blow up instead of the rupture valve releasing the pressure. In which case you should scream "run nawzzz..."

ROFL!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

luvrandfighter said:
then how come when its hot here, the bottle hisses, and you can smell it. i was told it was the bottle releasing pressure or purging itself. thats why you dont want it so close to the cab.

well i bet you get a nice buzz off of that anyhow LOL

luvrandfighter said:

IT SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER DO THAT EVER!!!!!! Regardless of the make or model. NEVER!!!!!

If your bottle does that then your rupture valve is not seated properly and leaking. You need to have it fixed or replaced. DO not use a bottle like that. THe bottle should never hiss or leak anywhere ever. Check all your connections to make sure they are tight as well it could be leaking from the connector from the bottle valve it's self to the line. A bottle does not EVER purge or release pressure for any reason under any circumstances. If it does like yours then you have a problem somewhere. It shoudl remain under pressure with no leaking all the time.

A rupture valve is to keep the bottle from blowing up. It will only blow open when the bottle exceeds 3000psi (or so) which it should never hit. If it blows open you wil know it. The rupture valve is about a 1/4 inch wide and would be like drilling a 1/4" hole in the bottle, everything woud come flying out like crazy and empty the whole bottle completly in a matter of seconds releasing a huge cloud if nitrous inside the car (breathe deeply...)

I'm not kidding about any of that either, nor do you have a bottle that's different from what I'm talking about. Your setup has a problem and thats not exactly safe you need to take care of that. I don't know much, but nitrous is one thing I do know.

Wow...if your bottle leaks...I'd seriously have that checked. The bottles are supposed to hold a good 1200psi without any doubt of a problem what so ever. Check it out, and replace your bottle if necessary.

DSMJim said:
(breathe deeply...)

I thought nitrous used for automotive purposes had lead or some thing in it (wich would be very bad for you to enhale, correct?)

Automotive grade Nitrous (Nytrous+) has 100ppm sulfer dioxide. If you inhale automotive grade Nitrous it will make you sick it also smells like hell from the sulfer. This is added in after the fact when the gas N20 is produced. Medical grade which obviously does not have this added in just makes you high as a kite. I was on it last week getting a root canal and holy hell I was so friggin high it was pretty awsome. He wouldn't let me take a bottle home though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back