The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

nitrous for my set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madman

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
installed i have:
apex n1 3" full exhuast no cat
profec 2 boost control
intake filter (with intake pipe upgrade when instal the gm maf)
greddy type-s bov
190l fuel pump with re-wire
stock exhaust manifold and 02housing
t25 (ya ya please no flames) waiting until it blows and then upgrade

not installed:
full gm maf setup (blowthru)
1g tb
spare 2g intake manifold

goals:
build for street more than track
turbo either t28 or big16 with fmic
only want to mess with minimal tuning if possible
basicaly only a stage 1 setup w/ nitrous for that little extra

question 1. would a direct port setup be overkill?
i'm thinking about it since i have the spare mani- it would be easy for me to work on and i like the benifits of spraying 4 into the runners instead of 1 into the tb.

q 2. with either nitrous setup and with my car as is can i get away without having to get a fuel controler like an sfac? can i get away by tuning with the maf-t? i know it wouldn't be the best tune possible but whould it be enough to keep from f-n-up the car?

How much nitrous do you plan on putting in? 50 shot or 75 shot? I don't recommend anything more than 75 shot on a engine that does not have strong internals.

Answer to question 1) Yes direct port injection would be an overkill for a street setup. Most direct port systems are designed for 100-200 HP. You could get it, but since you won't be putting more than 50 or 75 shot, it doesn't make sense to get direct port, unless you want to look cool by saying you have a direct port nitrous injection!

Take a look at a Wet Zex kit, it is designed to work on stock engines and they have a 55-75 kit for 89-99 4 cyl Mitsubishi Eclipses.

2 things I like about the zex kits are that 1) the active fuel control unit changes the amount of fuel based on nitrous bottle pressure and 2) you don't need a switch to turn on nitrous when you want it. So basically, everytime you are at wide-open throttle, you have nitrous.

Here are a few links:
Zex wet nitrous systems - http://www.zex.com/Catalog/Images/4.jpg
Zex wit nitrous systems applications - http://www.zex.com/Catalog/Images/5.jpg
Check out their website, www.zex.com

Another thing you have to remember is that nitrous on a turbocharged engine acts as an additional intercooler since it lowers the temp of air going in the engine. You could inject the nitrous before your blow through setup, since you won't lose nitrous during shits since it only works at wide open throttle. Although most kits are injected a few inches from the throttle body.

If you don't have nitrous, it is possible to tune with a MAFT without the SAFC. You will need some kind of way to manipulate your air/fuel ratio with nitrous. If you run too lean with nitrous, you'll melt your pistons. I would suggest that you upgrade your turbo, before you get the nitrous. Good luck! :thumb:

if i did the direct port it would definitely only be an 80 shot, which after reading a lot seems to be the minimum. otherwise i would only want a 50 maybe 75 shot.

again the only reason i thought of doing the d.p. is cause i have an extra intake to mess with and the more evenly distributed nitrous per cylinder

would there be any down sides to shooting the nitrous before the blow thru setup?

i thought most cars you can slap nitrous in without having to tune much if at all. do you suggest the fuel controller since the car is more upgraded than a normal stock car with nitrous? also i thought that using a wet kit keeps you form going too lean, again allowing you to get away without much tuning. maybe that is just a misconception.

You are right - 80 shot on a direct port is the lowest you can get. If you decide to build up your engine, you could use the 200 shot that most kits have.

The downsides of shooting nitrous before the blow through setup depends on which type of kit you buy. If you buy a dry kit that is activated by the TPS, it will only engage at wide throttle. If you buy a dry kit that you have to switch on for nitrous and one that stays on until you shut it off, you will lose nitrous during shifts on the blow thru setup. (Don't get the dry kit). If you buy a wet kit and install it before the blow thru and before the GM MAF, you will be injecting nitrous and fuel before the GM MAF. The GM MAF is an airflow sensor so I don't know how it will react (if it does) with the fuel. If you go with the wet kit, i'd injectl it after the GM setup, before the throttle body.

Yes, in most cars you slap on nitrous without having to tune much, if at all - BUT these are stock cars with factory turbos at factory settings. You will need a fuel controller and a logger or wideband meter to see your air/fuel ratio and to be able to adjust it.

The wet kit keeps you from going lean by adding fuel with nitrous in a ratio based on how much nitrous in injected. With added boost from a turbocharged vehicle, you will be getting more air, than fuel. Without monitoring or controlling the air/fuel ratio, having increased boost and nitrous, you might have a lean condition and damage your engine. :dsm:

EDIT: Direct port will be better since it distributes nitrous evenly, but the installation is more complicated than the wet kit, but you can play around with the extra manifold, without any down time. If you get a direct port kit adjust it to around 50shot - 75shot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back