The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved Nippon racing pistons ltd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex1993tsi

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2020
Port coqutlam, BC_Canada
So im my rebuilding my first engine i was recommended NPR pistons for an oem rebuild.
I have searched and searched and can only find Nippon racing pistons. NPR are all sold out.
I am aware they are not the same but have been getting mixed results on weather they are good or not.
I don't plan on making more than 300-350hp with this motor.
So my question is if i go with Nippon racing pistons am i gonna regret it?

Nothing wrong with npr pistons, used them a few times for various builds, including a dsm. They're made well, just inspect them like you would any other.

Nothing wrong with npr pistons, used them a few times for various builds, including a dsm. They're made well, just inspect them like you would any other.
NPR "Nippon piston ring" are good but i can't find any.
Nippon racing piston. Are what i can get but idk of there any good. I get mixed results when i search if there any good. So im wondering if anyone has any fist hand experience

Nippon is the equivalent to oem i run, before my new built engine coming. You wont find mistsubishi making pistons a lot of parts are outsourced, such as asin makes a lot of parts you find on our cars. Or rebuilt items. Ive been doinig this since 94, lots of things not made anymore.

I can't recall where I read this, so take this with a BIG grain of salt, but apparently enginetech (could be thinking of ITM or Topline to be honest) re-boxes and sells NPR (NOT Nippon Racing) pistons under their own branding. When I rebuilt my engine in 2018, I bought an enginetech 0.5mm overbore piston & ring kit off Rockauto. That was for a 2G OE style rebuild and I can only imagine it's gotten more difficult to find OE style parts as this platform continues to age.. especially 1G's.

Try looking up these re-box brands on the forums and see if you can find a connection to NPR. The more sources you can find saying the same things, the better odds you actually get NPR pistons.

I can't recall where I read this, so take this with a BIG grain of salt, but apparently enginetech (could be thinking of ITM or Topline to be honest) re-boxes and sells NPR (NOT Nippon Racing) pistons under their own branding. When I rebuilt my engine in 2018, I bought an enginetech 0.5mm overbore piston & ring kit off Rockauto. That was for a 2G OE style rebuild and I can only imagine it's gotten more difficult to find OE style parts as this platform continues to age.. especially 1G's.

Try looking up these re-box brands on the forums and see if you can find a connection to NPR. The more sources you can find saying the same things, the better odds you actually get NPR pistons.
Thank you i willl definitely be looking into that.
Ya i couldn't find any pistons for a 6 bolt that were not $600+
I have opted to do a 2g piston and get the rods machined a little

Normally you can find NPR pistons on eBay, Amazon etc, it's just vendors don't say "NPR Pistons" on listing title. So you can't find many if you search with a word "NPR". It may be called NOA piston, too. ("N"pr "O"f "A"merica).
I have seen some piston kits look like NPR on eBay. I don't know if those are fake NPR pistons but those even have a yellow outer box just like NPR pistons. So if you want to make sure, ask the vendor if its a real product of NPR of America before placing the order. If it's a NPR kit, the part number should be stamped somewhere on piston top like the pic below. (Refer the catalogs below. For instance, 11-758 in the pic, which means that piston is a NPR 2G turbo piston. On its box, it should say "10"-758 which means a 2g turbo piston kit with a ring set)

NPR and Nippon Racing are two totally different manufacturers.
Please refer the links below.
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/can-i-use-these-pistons.532075/#post-153785465
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/pistons-rod-combo.523617/#post-153727466

I personally don't have any experience with Nippon Racing pistons. So I can't tell their products quality (I think they work since I have seen some Honda guys using those pistons). But I wouldn't go with those pistons. I don't trust a company that pretends a Japanese company and writing "Made in Japan" on product label to deceive buyers.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Normally you can find NPR pistons on eBay, Amazon etc, it's just vendors don't say "NPR Pistons" on listing title. So you can't find many if you search with a word "NPR". It may be called NOA piston, too. ("N"pr "O"f "A"merica).
I have seen some piston kits look like NPR on eBay. I don't know if those are fake NPR pistons but those even have a yellow outer box just like NPR pistons. So if you want to make sure, ask the vendor if its a real product of NPR of America before placing the order. If it's a NPR kit, the part number should be stamped somewhere on piston top like the pic below. (Refer the catalogs below. For instance, 11-758 in the pic, which means that piston is a NPR 2G turbo piston. On its box, it should say "10"-758 which means a 2g turbo piston kit with a ring set)

+1 on NOA, when I was looking up the specs to make sure I was getting the right parts, NPR Of America has a parts catalog which was a good resource to compare the enginetech box I purchased.

Excuse the giant photos LOL The first is the box the piston rings came in with part number, unfortunately I don't have the box the pistons came in anymore. The second is what a fresh piston looked like too, all the right markings. Castings looked identical underneath and on top except for a tiny Mitsubishi logo on the original underneath.

Im rebuilding a 6 bolt yes. I couldn't find any oe pistons so i looked for 7 bolt pistons and would just need to machine the rods a little.
I need 6 bolt 85.5mm or .020" over
What about this? It shows the part number is 10-546, so if the item description is correct, this should be the NPR piston kit w/ rings for Turbo 6 bolt. You should contact them to confirm.
85.00mm : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Pi...525565?hash=item5b1217113d:g:4-QAAOSwIGlZbTIP
85.50mm : https://www.ebay.com/itm/3911455255...store&ssPageName=STORE:HTMLBUILDER:SIMPLEITEM

@Alex1993tsi , I may have a set of NPRs that you are looking for. It will probably take a while and some digging but I will look.

Is this what you are looking for???? :sneaky: :cool:
Marty

Last edited:
@Alex1993tsi , I may have a set of NPRs that you are looking for. It will probably take a while and some digging but I will look.

Is this what you are looking for???? :sneaky: :cool:
Marty

Yes this is exactly what I am looking for

Pm sent.

In "stock" :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back