The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Newbie with Mitsubishi GTO 91 issues.... Help W4A33

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOmoss

Probationary Member
May 10, 2016
Preston, Europe
Hi All, I hope you don't mind me posting on here.

Basically I've a 91 Mitsubishi GTO with auto box.

I had a fault when I bought the car with the overdrive not engaging and just free revving, so I've since replaced the end clutch, but had no change. Then I continued to check the fault, I applied a 12v feed to the solenoids and found 3 to have an audible 'click' but the grey one didn't make a sound, so suspected the solenoid so to be faulty.

Last weekend I removed the sump and replaced the solenoids, in doing so I found the kick down band to have snapped.
I found a similar post on the forum in which a defective kick down band takes out 2/4th gear, so it's gonna need a rebuild.
But then I though if I fitted a shift box and manually selected gears would this work?
I'm guessing the TCU is not allowing the gear selection because it is seeing an issue with the kick down. Would anyone know if this is the case or is it a mechanical issue?

Any help is mucho appreciated, also my gearbox is W4A33

Hi yeah Mitsubishi gt3000, I believe the GTO is the Japanese import version. I'm in the UK.

Even with a shift box, the fact the trans has a snapped "kick down band" ( being mechanical ) band that also controls2 and 4 , then making 2 and 4 gear non existent and wont be able to engage The Shift box may tell it to go into 2 or 4 but the trans wont move / slip horribly or possibly lock up and do much more damage to other components .... I recently had a 3000gt trans on the bench and some parts here in the states or hard to get ahold of, you may want to look for another low mileage used trans and just do a swap.

Hi thanks for the reply, you've answered what I was looking for really, I was unsure if the Kick down band controls great selection (2/4) or if the TCU was seeing a fault and stopping it from selecting.
I'm guessing this can't be changed in the car?
I'll have to keep a look out for a low mileage gearbox I think.
Thanks
Mark

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back