The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Newbie with his first DSM.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdoboi

Probationary Member
Apr 8, 2015
West Bend, Wisconsin
Hey guys, i'm new to the DSM scene and i've got my scopes on a DSM (2g Eclipse with a 420a) for extremely cheap. It has a snapped timing belt, which he already has the replacement for, and he claims it needs a new head because of the timing belt being snapped. Would that actually cause that problem? It wouldn't matter if it did, i've already found a used head to slap on it until i would start hitting the power route in my hopeful build. If I were to get that used head, wouldn't I have to get it resurfaced and same with the block? Is there anything that I should look out for when I am buying the car?

Before you go buying it, realize its the lesser option for an eclipse. You really want a 4g63 turbo eclipse. Unless you don't care about performance and you're only buying it for the looks of a 2g eclipse, then by all means go the 420a route.

If you think you'll want 300, 400, or 500 hp down the road, the 420a is NOT what you want to buy and then regret in 6-12 months.

Really? I mean my power goals with it are 425-450ish HP. I've seen it done on YouTube and treadstone claims their turbo kit is on a 600fwhp 2g. I would think with a treadstone setup, e85, ported and polished and shaved head, built bottom end, exhaust could reach it. Or is that not going to happen?

Its possible with a lot of money to get the goals you want but with a 4g63 its a lot cheaper than 420a. I once bought a 4g63 dsm but fwd and made good power but could never get traction so I then bought a awd and loved it. I recommend an AWD

The problem is the 420a engine. It just doesn't have the power to handle those kind jumps in hp. Better to start with a dsm that has a 4g63 in it.

That really sucks, my main reason for buying this one because it's $300 and the body's really clean (i live in the Midwest so it's a rarity) But if you guys wouldn't recommend it at all then tell me.

Well, it seems as the consensus is to not do it. Even though there is a GST for sale that is $3000 and needs a new throwout bearing, i mean it is 10x the price but i guess it would be worth it from what you're saying.

Like those guys said above, you going to spend more in building a 420a to get 400+ horses than a 4g63. Better to start with a stronger motor. To get a 420a to 400+ I would imagine being more than 3k, but I've never built a 420a.

If it runs clean, I'd get it for $300. Then, I'd enjoy driving while I looked for a 4g63.

It has a snapped timing belt, which he already has the replacement for, and he claims it needs a new head because of the timing belt being snapped.

Doesn't sound like its in running condition

Well, it seems as the consensus is to not do it. Even though there is a GST for sale that is $3000 and needs a new throwout bearing, i mean it is 10x the price but i guess it would be worth it from what you're saying.

Then for $3300.... buy both! then you can grab interior/exterior/misc stuff off of the 420a car.

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. But i hate to sound stubborn, but in reality, i would still rebuild any engine i were to get and it would still be like 1-2k after i'd be finished. I'm sorry i sound like a jerk but i want to make this something reliable and would love to build my bottom end way stronger than it needs to be. I would think it would be logical to do that.

Ok sooooo, the 420a really isn't by far the puss of motors everyone thinks. Yes, I looooooove rare GSX I shipped from Italy, and love my Evo 9. But, with very little work and left in sleeper form my GS 420a would give a good headache. Mods that were done are; Rods/pistons, 3 angled valve job, port/polished head, bigger valves, new springs, AEM 1st style cold air intake(not V2). Spec stage 2 Kevlar street disk clutch with upgraded stiffer flywheel. Greddy headers with downpipe to cat, from cat only I ran the turbo back discontinued 3" SMR pipe from Tanabe for GS-t (not GSX or will not work), with silencer for added back pressure as all non-turbo utilize. Now, from there I spent a rough 12-1300$, not including redoing the suspension kit. Then again, project all done with only 2500$. Now, keeping it real, these are all non ebay mess that I would never use unless last resort, so all straight from companies with well done self homework. That said, the last Evo owner with mild mods jaw fell to his driver side floor, the last moded gs-t pulled a car length till he realized ummmm...WTF, then I took lead. X, its a good starter eclipse. Agreeing with the others the GSX is veeeeery fun, and can get hella expensive...mind you, I don't run bs parts. The rpm pulls from that for what I listed is yay type of mood, and to think I didn't but wanted that HahnRaceCraft turbo kit (only kit to keep use of A/C with cancel full throttle switch :), enough said. 400 HP goes far for a 2600lbs non turbo vs 3946lbs carb GSX. I say go for it and have a ball

Last edited:
I completely understand where you guys are coming from. But i hate to sound stubborn, but in reality, i would still rebuild any engine i were to get and it would still be like 1-2k after i'd be finished. I'm sorry i sound like a jerk but i want to make this something reliable and would love to build my bottom end way stronger than it needs to be. I would think it would be logical to do that.

We're hard on you because we've all done this, or something similar. I'm a 38 year old mechanical engineer, I've probably had about 2 cars per year since I was 16, which adds up to about 44 cars in my ownership. Why? Because I'm a nutcase who is also stubborn. 15 of those were dsm's, not all running, and not all purchased with the intention to be running. But my first one, because I was stubborn and ONLY wanted a 92 black plymouth laser (because I liked the laser tails the best). I found it, but it was fwd. I was stubborn, bought it anyway even tho my friends who already had 92 awd's said "you want awd".

Sure I turned that fwd into a 20g peg-legging burnout beast and had a ton of fun with it, but it was absolutely useless at full throttle under 70mph. Turns out with a fwd, doesn't matter what year you buy, there's no advantage. Why didn't I listen to my friends and get the awd in the first place ?

So the moral is, this Eclipse GS (which doesn't matter what year you buy either, 90-current model are all non-turbo turds imo) you're looking to buy is really gonna leave you wondering why you didn't listen to the older and wiser, and just get the correct car in the first place.

If you want something cheap to go put intake and exhaust on and go flooring it around sounding like a coffee can full of bumble bees, buy a 4wheeler until the right car comes along.

+1 for tmoney on all of that, stubbornness is an ass kicker...same age and still didn't learn as well till I finally pulled my head outta my own butt. Either way, DSM's done right...clean vs retarded ugly, salvaged or garage kept...at least try for the top, from there you have the helping heads here :)

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. But i hate to sound stubborn, but in reality, i would still rebuild any engine i were to get and it would still be like 1-2k after i'd be finished. I'm sorry i sound like a jerk but i want to make this something reliable and would love to build my bottom end way stronger than it needs to be. I would think it would be logical to do that.[/QUOTE

If you stick to a 4g63t engine, you will have three things, reliability, good power, and cheaper than the 420. Its your time, its your money, and your goals. There are plenty of experienced people on this forums that wont make your life easier but for sure will point you in the right direction, all you have to do is think about what they say. Personally I think the 4g63 turbo engine is an amazing machine, but that's just me, and the whole community, I think. Do what your gut tells you, its never wrong, dont forget to post back when you hit your 450hp goal. Good luck to you. stubborn a$$$ LOL Just kidding man, trying to be friendly, don't take it personal.

Ok sooooo, the 420a really isn't by far the puss of motors everyone thinks. Yes, I looooooove rare GSX I shipped from Italy, and love my Evo 9. But, with very little work and left in sleeper form my GS 420a would give a good headache. Mods that were done are; Rods/pistons, 3 angled valve job, port/polished head, bigger valves, new springs, AEM 1st style cold air intake(not V2). Spec stage 2 Kevlar street disk clutch with upgraded stiffer flywheel. Greddy headers with downpipe to cat, from cat only I ran the turbo back discontinued 3" SMR pipe from Tanabe for GS-t (not GSX or will not work), with silencer for added back pressure as all non-turbo utilize. Now, from there I spent a rough 12-1300$, not including redoing the suspension kit. Then again, project all done with only 2500$. Now, keeping it real, these are all non ebay mess that I would never use unless last resort, so all straight from companies with well done self homework. That said, the last Evo owner with mild mods jaw fell to his driver side floor, the last moded gs-t pulled a car length till he realized ummmm...WTF, then I took lead. X, its a good starter eclipse. Agreeing with the others the GSX is veeeeery fun, and can get hella expensive...mind you, I don't run bs parts. The rpm pulls from that for what I listed is yay type of mood, and to think I didn't but wanted that HahnRaceCraft turbo kit (only kit to keep use of A/C with cancel full throttle switch :), enough said. 400 HP goes far for a 2600lbs non turbo vs 3946lbs carb GSX. I say go for it and have a ball

Project all done at $2500 with rods, pistons, clutch, flywheel and a $1300 on suspension work. I am having trouble doing the math. You might want to check with your accountant. GSX does not weigh 3946lbs. Maybe with a couple of fat boys in it like me.

It is not fair to encourage someone to buy a 420 with the thought they are going to properly build the engine and add a turbo with no ebay parts for $2500.00.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back