The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Newbie Tuning (DSMLINK)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBstar

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2004
Jackson, Michigan
Alright as soon as I get a day off ( I work two jobs and go to college) I'm giong to tear apart my ecu and figure out if its an eprom. But in the event that it is (I'm praying) I wanted to know a couple things. First off how do you know your idle rpms? Is it stock unless you've somehow messed with it? Is your redline always stock unless you change it somehow as well? I know these are really newbie questions but I want to make sure on some things. Also you have to tell them what rpm you want to launch at I was thinking probably around 4000 does that seem right? thanks for any help guys.

dont tear your ecu apart, i dont think it is an e prom however i may be wrong most of the e prom units have an e in the beginning of the serial number the easiest thing to do would be to get the serial number and call your local dealer and have him search it, your idle can be w/e you want there is an adjustment screw on the TB, when its cold it should be around 15 to 1700 when it warmed up it should be between 750 and 1000 but as i said you can adjust it, as far as your launch 4k is a bit high if your car is stock,

and as far as your redline, yes unless you run tuning software to manipulate the ecu it will remain the same, the e prom unit's are on a read only platform, thats the only way i know of to change the redline.

DSMLink says to tear apart your 1G ecu because parts get swapped around alot in 1G cars. This is why i said I need to tear apart my ecu. I did find out that mine was rebuilt in 2000 which kind of makes me worry that its almost definately not an eprom. (there are no letter on the outside of the box it just says rebuilt in 2000) But I'm probably just going to find an eprom ecu from someone. Thanks for the help with the rpm stuff. I figured those answers were right just wanted to make sure. So I'll probably drop the launch rpm to 3500 or 3000 if you say thats too high.

We launch no less than 5750 with dsmlink. On my race car, I have it set to 5500 with antilag. You will bog horribly if that is what you want.

You can tell if its eprom or not easily. There is a sticker on the outside of the case. In the lower right hand corner there will be a capital E. Like this.

http://dsmlink.com/faq-eprom.html

It is just 3 or 4 screws that hold the case together. Don't tear anything apart.

Steve

Your launch should be higher than 4000 as Steve stated. With DSMLink I believe that you can change the launch RPM to whatever you would like.

As for your idle just chose something you are comfortable with. Stock is about 750rpms.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure if my ECU has the sticker because of the rebuild. I looked at it as much as I could without removing it and I didn't see any stickers on it other then the "rebuilt in 2000" sticker. But I'll probably be able to get a better look at it tomorrow. THe car is not up and running because I need to replace the timing belt and I haven't had time lately. Also thanks for the info about launching. I'm new to tuning and I need all the input I can gather.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back