The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Newbie, I have a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Van

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Grand_Rapids_MI
I need some advice, facts or opinions.

I currently have a 98 Contour SVT and I thinking about getting rid of it for a 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD..with an ATX. It has 71000 miles and was kept up fairly well. The dealer wants $8995 for it.

Are there any problems or things to look out for with 95 TSI's with that many miles and a ATX. Today was the first time I ever drove a TSI AWD..so I'm not sure how the turbo and ATX should feel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Originally posted by A. Van
I need some advice, facts or opinions.

I currently have a 98 Contour SVT and I thinking about getting rid of it for a 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD..with an ATX. It has 71000 miles and was kept up fairly well. The dealer wants $8995 for it.

Are there any problems or things to look out for with 95 TSI's with that many miles and a ATX. Today was the first time I ever drove a TSI AWD..so I'm not sure how the turbo and ATX should feel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

the turbo should feel like a quick burst of power, then start to feel flat as you get close to redline. look for leaks and make sure the trans shifts smooth and easy. keep in mind you should be able to find a 5 speed for the same price and mileage

I would much rather have a 5 spd, I've been looking around for a few months now and haven't been able to find one.

I'm going to go back to the dealer tomorrow and give it another drive and bring a friend along that knows a bit more about cars than myself.

I figure that if I do get this one that I'll look for another tranny ( 5 spd ) and rebuild the motor ( while adding a few extra things..of course ) or if I could find the whole drive train out of a wrecked TSI AWD, I'll rebuild that.

Thanks jdmawd for the info.

listen to the engine...listen real good. listen to it while holding the clutch in and releasing it! listen also when she sifts gears at high rpms and low rpms. $9,000 is kinda high around here, but it has low miles and it should be able to handle you turning up the boost a little bit.

If I remember correctly the automatic has 5 less HP (205) but is supposed to generate a little more torque. Sounds odd, but the auto will probably pull quite well. The fact of the matter is a manual adds a lot to the experience. My first car was 5-speed, second was auto. I hated the auto, my DSM now is a 5 speed and I'll never own another sports car with an automatic tranny. Keep looking is my advice, plus the price is high.

Blue book wise, it's under. Around here all the DSM's are selling high. The dealers are trying to cash in on the trend. At the local Mitsu dealer they have a somewhat beat up 98 GST ATX for $17995.

Originally posted by madmax
If I remember correctly the automatic has 5 less HP (205) but is supposed to generate a little more torque. Sounds odd, but the auto will probably pull quite well. The fact of the matter is a manual adds a lot to the experience. My first car was 5-speed, second was auto. I hated the auto, my DSM now is a 5 speed and I'll never own another sports car with an automatic tranny. Keep looking is my advice, plus the price is high.

no ur absolutely right... but why get an auto when you can get a 5 speed ^^; and not like mods can't compensate for it anyways ^^;

Originally posted by EvolvingGST

no ur absolutely right... but why get an auto when you can get a 5 speed ^^; and not like mods can't compensate for it anyways ^^;

I would always recommend a 5-speed and I have to also agree that once you get to modding it, the inherent pro's and con's of each with become amplified.

For instance, a local DSMer runs 12.0's on a 2G auto. He can build plenty of boost on the line with no need for a stutter box. Pro. He has no control of his shift points. Con.

Auto or 5-speed, its a great car. Just be sure that you are willing to accept the pro's and con's before you buy one.

I've been doing some research about TSI's using the links on this site ( theres alot to read ) and Club DSM A-T. So far, from what I've read, the difference from the ATX versus the MTX is a smaller turbo and smaller injectors. I don't plan on modding it to be a 12sec car, low 14 to mid 13 would be nice, I'd even be happy with a high 14 as long as the car runs nice and I can take most of the local boys and there civics.

Thanks guys

you might wanna look at talons too, theyre little cheap and you get the same thing as with an eclipse

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back