The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Newbie chic with tranny issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXgirl78

10+ Year Contributor
May 11, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
I got a 95 GSX no mods but an injen intake. Drives fine on first start up but after it warms up it won't shift into gear. Just revs and goes no where. Don't know if its tranny, clutch, or really old gear oil. I've only had it for about a month and dont drive it too often as i am trying to do all the maintenance first. Any ideas???

Does it actually go in gear or you just cant get it into gear?

She mentioned clutch so I'm assuming manual? By not shifting do you mean it grinds, binds, doesn't go in at all, or ?

It will go into gear but doesnt go anywhere. If i turn the car off and leave it in gear it will roll back without the e-brake on. If i let it cool down for an hour and start it back up it will drive fine until it heats up again...then it will shift into gear and go no where all over again..

Sounds like a worn clutch disc too me.

There is another member on here named jaxness IIRC she is in jacksonville as well.

It will occasionally grind in first gear if clutch is not fully to the floor but only first gear. All other gears shift fine while driving until it hats up..

My first thought if it is a stick shift and not an auto would be that you may have a worn out clutch.

well since, I am at work and took forever to respond, looks like I was seriously beaten to my response haha.

Last edited:
Sorry if Im not explaining it right. But that is how the car acted...

Worn clutch, normal driving heats it up and it starts to slip. Either that or a new clutch was not put in correctly and isn't making complete contact for some reason. When in gear (say third) if you floor it do the RPMs climb without the speedo?

Yes RPMs climb without the speedo right before it goes out completly

Sounds like the clutch disk must have been seriously glazed over one point in time for it to slip that bad. When you are able to get it to drive (move) have you tried to get into boost and see what it does. If it is slipping that bad then as soon as the car starts to make some power your rpms should go up quick and you hear it kinda sound like its struggling. But it pulls fine then there may be something else going on with the clutch engaging/disengaging.

Thanks guys for the confirmation and the how to. I was pretty sure that's what it was but since working on cars is a new hobby wanted to be sure. :)

Could it not be a misadjusted pedal? She mentioned that it won't go into gear unless the pedal is fully to the floor. With a worn clutch I would think it would almost be instant disengagement not the other way around. I would follow that video fist and go from there

Could it not be a misadjusted pedal? She mentioned that it won't go into gear unless the pedal is fully to the floor. With a worn clutch I would think it would almost be instant disengagement not the other way around. I would follow that video fist and go from there

IF it was an adjustment problem than she would have the opposite problem as to what she is having now. Being that it is engaging off the floor the clutch would still grab well. If the clutch was engaging at the top than it could be an adjustment problem being that the master wouldn't be releasing the slave all the way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back