The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Newbie 3000gt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZillaGV6

Probationary Member
Aug 9, 2021
OCEANSIDE, California
Very new to dsm and the whole car scene, recently purchased a 97 3000gt base model, i know theres probably a forum here somewhere but what should be the first few things i should replace to get the car running pretty good? It runs pretty decent after having to replace the fuel pump, next is the fuel filter and fluids change, any tips would really help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice 3000GT. Any plans of modifying it?
Thank you. Yeah when i get all the maintenance done to get it running good, cuz right now ill try to accelerate and it starts stalling, so im trying to figure out the cause of that.

While it is a nice looking car (----and it is, a nice looking car! :thumb:) , it is the single overhead cam version which isn't the best base to try modifying. Obviously, it's your car so you can do what you want.

If you want more power, I would suggest at least switching to the double overhead cam engine or, better yet, the turbo version of that. These have much more aftermarket support compared to the SOHC engines - not saying there's a lot of aftermarket support for the 3/S in general anymore, but definitely more for the DOHC and turbo engines.

Welcome and good luck!

Very new to dsm and the whole car scene, recently purchased a 97 3000gt base model, i know theres probably a forum here somewhere but what should be the first few things i should replace to get the car running pretty good? It runs pretty decent after having to replace the fuel pump, next is the fuel filter and fluids change, any tips would really help.

I'm just a special kind of jeslous right now. Car looks awesome hope you get it lined out.

Your issue sounds like an ignition issue. Pull the plugs and inspect. If i remember right the back 3 plugs and wire are under the upper intake manifold so people tend to avoid changing the plugs and wires that often due to that inconvenience.

I'm just a special kind of jeslous right now. Car looks awesome hope you get it lined out.

Your issue sounds like an ignition issue. Pull the plugs and inspect. If i remember right the back 3 plugs and wire are under the upper intake manifold so people tend to avoid changing the plugs and wires that often due to that inconvenience.
Appreciate the tip, i just pulled out the front 3 injectors and from what i can see they are very caked with gunk so im gonna either get them cleaned or just replace em, then ill move onto the spark plugs and then so on.

While it is a nice looking car (----and it is, a nice looking car! :thumb:) , it is the single overhead cam version which isn't the best base to try modifying. Obviously, it's your car so you can do what you want.

If you want more power, I would suggest at least switching to the double overhead cam engine or, better yet, the turbo version of that. These have much more aftermarket support compared to the SOHC engines - not saying there's a lot of aftermarket support for the 3/S in general anymore, but definitely more for the DOHC and turbo engines.

Welcome and good luck!
Thank you🙂. I was thinking about switching it out for the dohc actually, because once i get the car running good i wanted to get it turbo'd. And i see what ur saying about how theirs hardly any aftermarket support for the sohc because i can barely find stuff for it, but maybe im just not looking hard enough LOL.

Thank you🙂. I was thinking about switching it out for the dohc actually, because once i get the car running good i wanted to get it turbo'd. And i see what ur saying about how theirs hardly any aftermarket support for the sohc because i can barely find stuff for it, but maybe im just not looking hard enough LOL.
Regardless of your power output your car stands out and looks better than all the new cookie cutter cars. I made the mistake of worrying about power too much and got rid of a car I loved. Burgundy 97 420a eclipse. Really slow but in my mind it was the ultimate machine because it was mine LOL and i was also 17. Wish i still had it. So my message i suppose is dont get hung up on the wrong stuff, you can't be faster than everyone.

back in the day, there was a company that made a supercharger setup for the non-turbo cars.
it was like knight superchargers or some shit like that. I doubt there still made but you might be able to find one if you look hard enough.

if you need repair info i have some 3000gt/stealth FSMs HERE

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back