The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Newb Question! 95-99 SMIM in 2G full 6 bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iziegsx

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2007
Cayman Islands, Central_America
I recently purchased a 95-99 Magnus SMIM for my full 6 bolt swap(Head+block) My question is Will this fit on my 1G Head? If not! What would i have to do to make a 2G SMIM fit a 1G Head in a 2G car?

The ports of the 1G and 2G are alot different. The effort required to make it fit would negate the fun of installation. You may could order a 1G flange and get someone to cutoff the 2g and weld the 1g on. The only downside is the runner diameter might be off.

The ports of the 1G and 2G are alot different. The effort required to make it fit would negate the fun of installation. You may could order a 1G flange and get someone to cutoff the 2g and weld the 1g on. The only downside is the runner diameter might be off.

Hmmm ill check that out tomorrow for sure.

Looks like you figured it out but as was said the ports on the 1g head are much larger then the 2g ports. Even if you could swap your 2g flange for a 1g flange, the runners still won't be correct. I believe this mani should work for the Evo's through to the EvoIII.

Looks like you figured it out but as was said the ports on the 1g head are much larger then the 2g ports. Even if you could swap your 2g flange for a 1g flange, the runners still won't be correct. I believe this mani should work for the Evo's through to the EvoIII.

LOL damn. Sure sucks i should have just ported my 2g Head then :mad: oh well atleast it will be an easy sale or maybe i could send it back to Extremepsi what do you guys think about that? Its not even out of the package yet!!!

LOL damn. Sure sucks i should have just ported my 2g Head then :mad: oh well atleast it will be an easy sale or maybe i could send it back to Extremepsi what do you guys think about that? Its not even out of the package yet!!!

I'd check Extremepsi's return policy, thats probably your best bet, if they'll accept it as you'll probably get all your money back. I'm sure you won't have to much of a problem selling it yourself but most people aren't willing to pay the same amount as a vendor is asking when their buying it second hand (even if it is brand new), so you'll probably lose abit if you went this route. Then again, on the other hand maybe Extreme charges a restocking fee. Best bet is to give them a shout & see what they say, then go from there.

Extreme psi is a great company.. I am sure they will work with you! Give them a call.

I'd check Extremepsi's return policy, thats probably your best bet, if they'll accept it as you'll probably get all your money back. I'm sure you won't have to much of a problem selling it yourself but most people aren't willing to pay the same amount as a vendor is asking when their buying it second hand (even if it is brand new), so you'll probably lose abit if you went this route. Then again, on the other hand maybe Extreme charges a restocking fee. Best bet is to give them a shout & see what they say, then go from there.

Thats along the lines of what i had in mind. Weird thing is my buddy owns an evo3 and he was just saying to me a few days ago that he wants to get a SMIM +75mm Throttle body so ill have to ask that bum if he wants to buy it off of me like asap. Best thing is the currency used here is higher than the us dollar so i can prob make a profit off of selling it to him. Lets see what he says! Also i heard that Magnus SMIM was prone to cracks :( any idea how often this occurs. Looks like i may have to go with the JMF SMIM if thats the case.

Thats along the lines of what i had in mind. Weird thing is my buddy owns an evo3 and he was just saying to me a few days ago that he wants to get a SMIM +75mm Throttle body so ill have to ask that bum if he wants to buy it off of me like asap. Best thing is the currency used here is higher than the us dollar so i can prob make a profit off of selling it to him. Lets see what he says! Also i heard that Magnus SMIM was prone to cracks :( any idea how often this occurs. Looks like i may have to go with the JMF SMIM if thats the case.

That's just as common as 7bolt crankwalk :| Magnus does great r&d on their products as well as JMF. Out of 1,000 copies, 1 is bound to have a defect; that's just the nature of the beast. Of course, that 1 guy is going to kick and scream on the forums until his fingers fall off.

As for extremepsi, I do (what i'd like to think) pretty heavy volume for a single guy and they have never skipped a beat. Any problems I've ever had they've fixed up for me.

My friend and I bought 2 SMIM's at the same time direct from Magnus. We walked in grabbed 2 boxes and left.

His SMIM has no less then 6 cracks, mine has none. Its just luck of the draw I guess.

If you've never used it, send it back and swap if for what you need.

Just don't forget the 20% restocking fee that most places charge. Call them ahead of time and see if they can waive that for you.

^^True on the restocking fee. But, it would probabaly still be hceaper ( and better looking ) to do that instead of trying to mod teh 2g one to fit a 2g head, just my 0.02 cents

Yeah, or you could try to sell it on the classified adds a little cheaper than what you got it for. -$20 plus free shipping or something. It all depends but, I would contact the guys you got it from first to see if they will help you out.

Ok guys here is the 2G Magnus Intake manifold which ports measure in at 1.1 inches in width. My 1G Head's Intake ports are at 1.4 inches The picture below shows where we marked out what had to go. The second picture is the end result :) worked out perfectly. Fits great!! I decided to do the modifications because it didn't seem like such a big deal. The port work had to be done carefully though avoiding the pieces where the manifold was welded. I will let you guys know how it runs. Wish me luck!! Will be throwing the motor in. TODAY!! I can't wait!!!:dsm:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you took out a lot of material towards the welds, I would look into having some extra material welded on there for support, just to avoid cracking.

I guess i'm the only one that notice the r33 GTR badge in the back ground... lucky bi***!!! :thumb:

If you took out a lot of material towards the welds, I would look into having some extra material welded on there for support, just to avoid cracking.

No Weld material was taken off all the shaving was kept in the flange area. :sneaky:
I guess i'm the only one that notice the r33 GTR badge in the back ground... lucky bi***!!! :thumb:

LOL that is a RB2.7 N1 r32 twin turbo (800hp) motor in a GTS skyline. We are almost done completing that swap just removing the GTR33(1300hp+) :tease: wire harness to use into this monster swap. blah next topic cause i will be on this all day. Those cars are alot faster than what i want to be LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back