The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

new valve cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95boostedGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 7, 2011
Gering, Nebraska
Hey there i was wondering if i took my valve cover off, would there be a gasket that i would need to replace?

A few more things need to be bought to make sure there are no leaks. Valve cover gasket, 4 individual spark plug gaskets and I would buy a new "moon" gasket. You can get an aluminum moon gasket that wont warp and get hard like the factory one. I always use an extremely thin layer of rtv as well for insurance even though many people say it's not necessary.

Don't forget to replace your oil cap gasket, which leaks when is toast and makes a big mess inside your valve cover (spark plugs compartment).

If you are adding RTV, Make sure your area is so, so, But so Clean, (No oil).
Other wise it will leak, which RTV on Plastic is hard to steak.

I never use RTV on plastic and have had any leaks.

One little trick I like to use when I am in the neighborhood and putting new gaskets on is I like to take a little high temp RTV red and put a nice little coat on the side that sticks to the cover its self and none on the side that touches the head. That way if you have the cover off often playing with the valves you are not buying a new gasket every time. Just don't get crazy with the goo or you can have the excess squish out and flake off into the oil system and start plugging things you really don't want plugged.

You can get a complete Felpro VC gasket kit at any parts store for $20 or so, and they can be re-used multiple times if you install them properly.

Just use a tiny amount of RTV in each corner next to to the round "humps", and across the ends of the half moon (as per the FSM). Any more than that is unnecessary and just adds more work for the next time you pull the VC.

Last edited:
My question is sort of off topic, but when replacing the VC gasket if RTV is used, is there any chance of the extra goo putting pressure and bending the gasket one way or another when the cover is torqued back down properly?

I replaced mine and did something similar to what Deadpool mentioned, placing a bit of RTV on the top of the gasket to make it stick to the VC. Now after about a year of replacing it I've noticed a bit of an oil leak from the VC again.

...when replacing the VC gasket if RTV is used, is there any chance of the extra goo putting pressure and bending the gasket one way or another when the cover is torqued back down properly?

Yes, which is why I said:

Just use a tiny amount of RTV in each corner next to to the round "humps", and across the half moon (as per the FSM). Any more than that is unnecessary and just adds more work for the next time you pull the VC.

Old dried up RTV can also cause uneven torque and sealing, adding to the chance of cracking the VC.

You only need a tiny bit on the head in the corners of each hump and on the half moon. There isn't really any reason to "stick" the gasket to the VC...it should pretty much stay there by itself, at least long enough to get it into place.

Don't forget to replace your oil cap gasket, which leaks when is toast and makes a big mess inside your valve cover (spark plugs compartment).

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
I never knew there was a gasket there, I replaced my oil cap and it still leaked, was so pissed off! Good thing I know now so I can replace it before I put some fresh Brad Penn in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back