The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New turbo, no spool sound really

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eboy0

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 8, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
I installed my new turbo and am wondering where's the spool sound? I was expecting something monstrously loud in terms of spoolage...

I went from the T25 with rubber snorkel which sounded like a jet airplane

TO

a Bullseye 50Trim with a 4" FP intake, and it's dead silent once boost kicks in...

No boost leaks, held 22psi nicely.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm have the same issues. Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it's because im only running 10psi of boost...hehe:beatentodeath:

Ofcourse, it builds boost. Hits 15 psi but very quietly...

plus the spooling sound is the rushing of air in to the compressor housing...with that huge intake the air isn't moving as quickly so less sound...My Saab viggen sounded like an airplane taking off. The spool was so loud because it had the flexi accordian pipe to the mas then a K&N. (Obviously there are a lack of mods for a SAAB and the mods are super expensive!) The air had to get sucked through all kinds of bumps and turns so lots of sucking/spooling sound. All and all who cares...most will only hear the sound of your exhaust as you pass them anyway. :sneaky: I didn't hear my 50-trim at 10psi either but I do now at 20psi.

I have a 50 trim and the spooling sound was rather quiet untill I turned it up to 17psi then it was still quiet but you can hear it from outside the car.

Not having the loud spooling sound you wanted might suck, but it sure helps out that no one else is going to be able to here your turbo. Since it doesnt make much noise you can just tell the guy your going to race that its just stock. :sneaky:

My 50 trim at 27 psi was whisper quiet compared to the whine of a 16G. It's not an issue in the least and doesn't have anything to do with performance. Consider that moving air through a larger opening will also dull sound somewhat.

Don't worry about it.

I dont think the intake has as much to do with it as the size of the inlet on the turbo itself. My 50 trim was pretty quiet a 20 psi. Where as my 14b spools very loud. The inlet on the 14b is like 1.75 inches and the inlet on the 50 trim was 3 inch. If you want it to be loud just dump a external wastegate or run a open dp. You can really hear the turbo with a open dp.

My 50 Trim has a deep sucking noise to it, it doesnt make alot of noise while spooling until after 25psi then it makes some intense noise- coupled with my dump pipe and relativley quiet 2.5" exhaust its a pretty neat combo. Up your boost and get an extrernal gate, you'll love it.

The exhaust set up has a lot to do with spooling sounds, on open dp my turbo spools and whistles very loud, and on a regular car back it doesnt. With 3in exhaust with no cat or muffler it again spools pretty loud on a 14b or 16g. The more boost the louder it got... In my experiences.. Also putting a evo8 mas air made the intake charger louder vs the stock maf.

so it's safe to say that the spooling sound comes from air trying to squeeze through the intake(before being compressed) or possibly the exhaust. Possibly both..Never the less it seems to be a good thing to not hear it anymore because one could conclude that it means that less air is being restricted. With turbo cars this is always a good thing! So be happy that your car is faster and don't worry that something is wrong. However if you were only worried about everyone else hearing the sound then put your 14b back on, record the sound, burn it to a CD, and play it really loud while your rolling around town..LOL

so it's safe to say that the spooling sound comes from air trying to squeeze through the intake(before being compressed) or possibly the exhaust. Possibly both..Never the less it seems to be a good thing to not hear it anymore because one could conclude that it means that less air is being restricted. With turbo cars this is always a good thing! So be happy that your car is faster and don't worry that something is wrong. However if you were only worried about everyone else hearing the sound then put your 14b back on, record the sound, burn it to a CD, and play it really loud while your rolling around town..LOL

LOL!!! Well put!

Good information and the last part is funny. I personally love the sound of the turbo diesel trucks when they start spooling up. My Dad has a ram 2500 cummings edition and that thing is a beast :p

Probably something to do with pressure differential and even air speed. I think its more so that the more free flowing the exhaust side the faster the air moves thru the intake side meaning the easier it is for air to enter the intake side so more air is being pulled thru the compressor side with less effort resulting in the spooling/ whistling sounds ( hence why an open downpipe makes more turbo audiables than a closed one ) due to very little back pressure... I think backpressure is directly related to the spooling sound, the more back pressure the less spooling sounds ( Also hence, quiet stock exhaust ) If this is true though I dont know how this relates to hp or torque or anything.

To the OP if my theory is at all correct, I suppose if you had open downpipe or a 3.5, or 4in exhaust system that spooling sound would come back. At least that would make sense to me.

Probably something to do with pressure differential and even air speed. I think its more so that the more free flowing the exhaust side the faster the air moves thru the intake side meaning the easier it is for air to enter the intake side so more air is being pulled thru the compressor side with less effort resulting in the spooling/ whistling sounds ( hence why an open downpipe makes more turbo audiables than a closed one ) due to very little back pressure... I think backpressure is directly related to the spooling sound, the more back pressure the less spooling sounds ( Also hence, quiet stock exhaust ) If this is true though I dont know how this relates to hp or torque or anything.

To the OP if my theory is at all correct, I suppose if you had open downpipe or a 3.5, or 4in exhaust system that spooling sound would come back. At least that would make sense to me.

Well I did run open DP for like 5 minutes, but it sounded like a tractor after like 2000 rpm...
I'm running a straight 3" DP no cat to a magnaflow muffler, not much back pressure there.

Maybe it's the little filter I'm using... its getting a bit old and dirty so I'll grab a new one off ebay or something and see if anything helps.. if I don't get spooling sound which I love, I might as well get an O2 dump, its either I get one or do the other....:thumb:

Well I did run open DP for like 5 minutes, but it sounded like a tractor after like 2000 rpm...
I'm running a straight 3" DP no cat to a magnaflow muffler, not much back pressure there.

Maybe it's the little filter I'm using... its getting a bit old and dirty so I'll grab a new one off ebay or something and see if anything helps.. if I don't get spooling sound which I love, I might as well get an O2 dump, its either I get one or do the other....:thumb:

That would be my next guess, as I stated before that by upgrading to an evo8 mas air sensor and a new intake filter over the 1g air sensor greatly increased my spooling sounds ... Possibly a set up without restrictions that is truely free flowing will spool loud and sound like its really breathing... I dont know how cams/ intake manifolds come into play with all of this.
I know cams do change the tone of the entire exhaust though. ( More higher pitched )
( My friends 2g when we did open downpipe on his T25 it didnt hardly make a spooling noise at all until we put an intake and raised the boost... ) Strangely though my car spools a lot louder at night, or when its cold outside versus a hot day... Denser air meaning more air....?

And o2 dump doesnt make you spool any louder, it just makes you sound like your on open dp under full boost...
On some cars o2 dump sounds hard, and on some cars it sounds obnoxious. Hmm, what about intake piping, and intercooler piping... That should help increase sound...

I'm trying to imagine what my 13g is gonna sound like on my nt 4g63 =)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back