The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

new turbo! didn't fix problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teampruven01

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2011
slippery rock, Pennsylvania
so i bough this talon, and it smoked really bad. So i bought a new head and did ARP studs gasket all the maintainance stuff, timing belt water pump all pulleys and tensioners. the head i took off clearly showed it was pushing coolant and was burnt on two of the valves, so i ordered a new 16g. thinking the turbo was bad. the seals where shot in it anyway. Just took it out and it still smokes! i was hoping it wasn't the rings but i think thats my last option. Weirdest thing is. It ran so much better before i put all this stuff on it, and it didn't smoke as bad. it doesn't pull hard at all and its a big 16g running 15psi. guess i'll buy a boost leak tester and see if there is any. but think my little project is going to just end up being a jdm engine. i'm sick of finding one problem after the next.

so i bough this talon, and it smoked really bad. So i bought a new head and did ARP studs gasket all the maintainance stuff, timing belt water pump all pulleys and tensioners. the head i took off clearly showed it was pushing coolant and was burnt on two of the valves, so i ordered a new 16g. thinking the turbo was bad. the seals where shot in it anyway. Just took it out and it still smokes! i was hoping it wasn't the rings but i think thats my last option. Weirdest thing is. It ran so much better before i put all this stuff on it, and it didn't smoke as bad. it doesn't pull hard at all and its a big 16g running 15psi. guess i'll buy a boost leak tester and see if there is any. but think my little project is going to just end up being a jdm engine. i'm sick of finding one problem after the next.

Sorry to hear you problem but you are going about it in the wrong way.

You need to diagnose you problem first.

Where is your car smoking from?

Instead of replacing parts left and right I would start with a compression test, then a leak down test, and a boost leak test. These will help you find out what is in spec within you car. Its most cost effective than a tear down and rebuild.

JDM 4g63 for is the same as the USDM 4g63 (minor difference: emission, compression ratio, turbos avaible) the internals are the same.....we dont play that jdm sh*t here homie :thumb:

weird this morning i drove it for about 20 minutes, and drove it hard. by the time i got home i stopped smoking completely. maybe there was still oil hiding somewhere i was blowing out for a half hour? score :hellyeah:

weird this morning i drove it for about 20 minutes, and drove it hard. by the time i got home i stopped smoking completely. maybe there was still oil hiding somewhere i was blowing out for a half hour? score :hellyeah:

If you engine was smoking then it was leaking, if you fixed the leak and didnt clean up the mess then the residual oil on the outside of the engine could have heated up and vaporized.

Sh*t rolls down hill, so the oil will drip down and back till it hits a hot exhaust piping and maybe vaporized. I have see with plenty of times with split fluids, tranny, oil, coolant etc. Now that you drive for a bit the fluid has evaporated and the symptom of smoking is gone.

that could be your answer.

If you engine was smoking then it was leaking, if you fixed the leak and didnt clean up the mess then the residual oil on the outside of the engine could have heated up and vaporized.

Sh*t rolls down hill, so the oil will drip down and back till it hits a hot exhaust piping and maybe vaporized. I have see with plenty of times with split fluids, tranny, oil, coolant etc. Now that you drive for a bit the fluid has evaporated and the symptom of smoking is gone.

that could be your answer.[/QUOTE

No, it was coming out of my exhaust. You couldn't see 200ft behind the car it was so bad.

I agree on the blt. If there are leaks or significant leaks it will smoke. Of course it wont be oil smoke but, fuel and carbon. I had this issue after doing fmic and hard pipes etc... Sure enough it smoked until I took care of every single little boost leak and some pretty big ones.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back