The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New track time

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenGSX

DSM Wiseman
May 13, 2002
Rochester, New_York
I haven't had much time or luck at the dragstrip this year. I've been to busy chasing Tevenor at the autocross to really get some good numbers on the books. At the shootout I broke a shift fork and was only able to do 13.1 at 112mph without using second gear. With a "loaner" tranny I granny shifted to 12.6 at 114mph but I never felt that the car was running up to its full potential. I'm running a ETE32 which is a little big for autocrossing but should be killer at the strip. Well, the autocross season is over up here in Rochester and I just got back from my last day at the track so I concentrated this week on tuning the car for a shot at the 11's. I learned a few things along the way. First tune on race gas if you can. Were lucky up here in Rochester in that we can get 100 octane Deltasonic at the pump. Also I learned that my car doesn't like 50psi of base fuel pressure. The lower I set it the better my car ran. I finally settled on 40psi. The next task was timing advance. I finally installed my TMO ECU and man what a difference. Every time I start the car I get on the high octane timing map. I can get 25 degrees of advance at 6400 rpms in third and fourth. This thing hauls.

The first run I pumped out the 100 Deltasonic and re-filled with the C16. I didn't mess with any of the settings. I ran it like I do on the street. The cool thing is I was allready running knock free 24psi on the 100 octane so I don't think the C16 added anything. I thought the launch was good but the car came out of the box sideways so my 60' time suffered. I had the boost set at 24psi but I was only getting 21psi in gears 1-3 and 24psi in 4th. Here's my first run

temp 42F
Humidity 79%

60' 1.902
330 5.309
1/8 7.977
MPH 93.34
1000 10.258
1/4 12.167
MPH 119.11

Everything except my 60' times were personal bests for me. The
datalogger showed 24 degrees of advance at 6.4k with no knock until
4th gear. Even then the knock was only 5 and I still had great
timing advance. I knew with those times I had 11's with better
driving so I didn't touch anything. Here's my second pass.

temp 42F
Humidity 80%

60' 1.822
330 5.142
1/8 7.782
MPH 93.72
1000 10.052
1/4 11.956
MPH 119.22

That's right. I'm finally in the 11's. Just 1 tenth off the 60'
netted 2 tenths in the 1/4. The trap speed was the same because I
didn't change a thing from the first run. That run I got a knock sum
of 11 in second when the ECU pushed the timing to 25 degrees. It
pushed it to 25 degrees again in 3rd but the knock was less. I hit
25 in 4th but this time with no knock. the only thing I can think of
is either the FPR was a little slow or the C16 hadn't kicked in yet.

For my third run I tightened the wastegate arm and turned the boost
up a touch. I wanted to run a solid 26psi to see if I could get to
120mph trap speeds. That's when something broke. All day the car had been coming out of the box sideways and to the passenger side. This time it did it with a banging and crunching noise? It sounds like I broke an axle and I now have a good dose of "one-wheel peal" in the back. Also on every run my coolant overflow bottle was spewing coolant at a rate that could only mean the head was lifting a bit. It didn't really
bother me that much I think it just made running really high boost
tuff.

So that was the day for me. The car drives fine until I get on it. I can cruise in third and light up the drivers rear when the boost hits. Its gotta be a broken diff or an axle. I'll figure that out this week. With more boost, better 60' times, and a head gasket that holds I should be able to run in the 120's no problem. Anyway, that's just bench racing for next year.

Tim Harper
11.95 @ 119.22mph

Wow that is awesome. Im honestly surprised, you dont see many mutt turbo's et times ever. Just a question, since you were talking about coming out of the box sideways. Everytime I go to my local track I ususally launch pretty damg straight with a tiny wheelspin, but when I shift to second the rear end gets swirly every time and I know its hampering my times. Just curious if this happens to any of you guys

Seeing 25 degree's of advance you prolly could have turned up the boost a few pounds. You most likely woulda seen a 120mph + trap if you hadn't broke.

Nice times though!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back