The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to this site, trying to find out how much my 98 eclipse gst (automatic is worth) and how to sell it without hassle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegirl529

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2021
Lorain, Ohio
I just registered for this website so forgive me. I am interested in trying to sell my 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T. Its an automatic, hardtop, front wheel. It had the engine "ported and polished" because it threw a rod about a year ago. The car itself has 143,000 miles on it but only 400 since the engine rebuild. Other than that I dont know what upgrades it has had done. Is their some place I can call to get someone to "appraise" the car.. I hate to let it go for too cheap or ask too much for it. No check engine light on, passed e-check and now no longer requires one. PLEASE HELP. In Lorain, Ohio.

No appraiser is going to Give you a correct estimate, because the market for these cars is not going to follow typical KBB pricing. Join some of the Facebook Trader groups, and see what cars in similar condition as yours are selling for.

Just an FYI. The only part of an engine that can be “ported and polished” is the cylinder head (that’s the top half of the engine). That’s an expensive option if the head needed to be rebuilt. More than likely it was not done.

You should be able to get $4-5k easy for the car, as long as it’s in good running condition and the body isn’t rusted out. Try to find some local knowledgeable people that can identify any aftermarket parts, as those may increase the value of the car slightly.

Thank you!! I know nothing about cars. I do know though that “it” was ported and polished. It has a lot of modifications so I’ll need to figure out what those are. It’s in mint condition. Nice to know I can easily get 4-5k ! Thanks for your help!

I posted it! I don't plan on making any progress, but worth a try. Thank you

Thank you!! I know nothing about cars. I do know though that “it” was ported and polished. It has a lot of modifications so I’ll need to figure out what those are. It’s in mint condition. Nice to know I can easily get 4-5k ! Thanks for your help!
If you know nothing about cars how do you know its mint?? How can one say this with zero knowledge on cars in general?

Without out sounding harsh i think your going to struggle with the lack of knowledge on your own car and whats been done to it and what not and others will see this. So you best be ready for some weird folks and you will have issues with selling since well...... You know nothing abiut cars so how can you answer people questions that know about these cars! They will look at you like "ok whats this dude on" selling a car but has no clue about said car.

So selling it, yes it can be done. Hassle! You bet your going to get it. I would not buy any modified car from someone who knows little onnthe car im about to buy as i would ask so many questions so i know what im getting into or if im into a bad deal or not.

If you know nothing about cars how do you know its mint?? How can one say this with zero knowledge on cars in general?

Without out sounding harsh i think your going to struggle with the lack of knowledge on your own car and whats been done to it and what not and others will see this. So you best be ready for some weird folks and you will have issues with selling since well...... You know nothing abiut cars so how can you answer people questions that know about these cars! They will look at you like "ok whats this dude on" selling a car but has no clue about said car.

So selling it, yes it can be done. Hassle! You bet your going to get it. I would not buy any modified car from someone who knows little onnthe car im about to buy as i would ask so many questions so i know what im getting into or if im into a bad deal or not.
Ouch Bobby! A little harsh buddy but I understand where you’re coming from. She’s definitely going to get a billion questions.

How do you know the head was ported abs polished? Is there paper work showing the engine build to verify this?
Yes! I can call the shop near me that did it and get copy of paperwork

Yes I know. That's why I am going to end up keeping it! Mint meaning no rust, scratches, dings, no problems- near new condition! What else could mint mean? GEEZE. I am hoping someone will come look at it and recognize what it has had done and make me an offer. :p

Ouch Bobby! A little harsh buddy but I understand where you’re coming from. She’s definitely going to get a billion questions.
I did say its not able to be said without sounding harsh, im a straight forwards guy and says it as it is and how i would be if i was buying. I dont got time to side stepping to pretty the situation up LOL

I just don’t wanna deal with people. Even selling other items is awful, let alone a vehicle. People with no money who aren’t even serious about buying just wanna drive it and beat on it. :cry:

Yes I know. That's why I am going to end up keeping it! Mint meaning no rust, scratches, dings, no problems- near new condition! What else could mint mean? GEEZE. I am hoping someone will come look at it and recognize what it has had done and make me an offer. :p
I have seen so called MINT cars LOL. I went to look at a MINT type R ep3 and was far from it so throwing the word mint out is skeptical at best. Not saying yours is not but even the best looking and looked after DSM's have small rust on them, just not always seen as its inside other panels or covers.

Get some pics of it all up for us and then we can help advise but do get as much info as you can thats been done to the car and all receipts to back the work from shops

I can def take more pics but I just called the shop that did the engine work (Wallace and Dewitt engine) in Amherst,Oh. He said they don’t have records more than 3 years old. Ugh.

I can def take more pics but I just called the shop that did the engine work (Wallace and Dewitt engine) in Amherst,Oh. He said they don’t have records more than 3 years old. Ugh.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have seen so called MINT cars LOL. I went to look at a MINT type R ep3 and was far from it so throwing the word mint out is skeptical at best. Not saying yours is not but even the best looking and looked after DSM's have small rust on them, just not always seen as its inside other panels or covers.

Get some pics of it all up for us and then we can help advise but do get as much info as you can thats been done to the car and all receipts to back the work from shops
It was a Florida car before I had it so no salt ever got to it. I bought it 10 years ago and stored it in the garage and babied it ever since. Never even drove it in the rain LOL. I hate to sell it but I could use the room in my garage. Would be nice to get a somewhat accurate and fair selling price for it though.

It was a Florida car before I had it so no salt ever got to it. I bought it 10 years ago and stored it in the garage and babied it ever since. Never even drove it in the rain LOL. I hate to sell it but I could use the room in my garage. Would be nice to get a somewhat accurate and fair selling price for it though.
Im sure if you list everything out and pics of the car we can get you a rough idea on pricing. If its as good as you say it is then the right person will know and just buy it straight out

Based on what I've seen here and in your FS ad, I'd say $6-7k is reasonable. $11k is decently clean GSX 5 speed territory in today's market so that's a bit of a stretch. Things hurting your asking price are a general lack of knowledge on what's done, body mileage, and the fwd auto platform. GLWS regardless

Thing sure looks clean on the outside and having kept it for 10+ years it'd sure have sentimental value to you. Do yourself a favor and keep it but also drive it. Life is too short and before we know it they are gonna outlaw our poor ol' DSMs. People are mad about selling pretty much everything right now because of the pandemic but also because the herd mentality defines our society and what 99% of people do. Hell you can just build it a simple shed from some two by fours and cover it up. Trust me, you're gonna regret selling it.

/endramble

Nice lookin 2G...Personally, Id keep it, but thats because I LOVE Eclipses :D... With the elevated used car prices Im sure you could get at least $6K for it... Lots of desire on the Facebook Groups... not sure if its for automatics.. but its worth testing the waters at that price... Especially with a clean body like that in the Rust Belt... How is the interior?

If you don’t want a Hassle, then list the price as “firm”. If you pick a higher price ( ~7k), then you might have to wait a bit for the right buyer. How badly do you want the garage bay back? Lower price, likely faster sale. Folks who like these cars will find you, if you keep some ads up.
The car look really good in the photos. What you really need is a dsm member near you to at least look it over and provide a basic list of mods. Also, post that rebuild paperwork so folks can comment and give you a plain-language summary of what they actually did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back