The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to the world of coil-overs. (Impressions and Questions)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAWD

Retired
Supporting VIP
Jun 13, 2002
Hillsborough, North_Carolina
All right, so I've been digging through some threads on coil-overs, adjustments, mounts, alignments, etc and I haven't seen something that specifically answers the following question...

I just installed Koni/GC fronts and AGX/GC rears with currently unknown spring rates, though I can likely find out. Now, I know the suspension is going to be stiffer than my GR2/Pro-Kit setup was, as well as lower, but there have been a few bumps with the Konis on full-soft that seemed almost like I was hitting the bumpstop. I can't recreate travel of that nature with a buddy essentially jumping up and down on the corner, but that's what it feels like to me.

So, on to the question...I'm running the AGXs on 7 and the Konis on full-soft. For streetability I plan to soften the rear. If I firm up the fronts, will that solve the problem I described above by allowing less free travel in the strut?

Thanks in advance.

All right, so I've been digging through some threads on coil-overs, adjustments, mounts, alignments, etc and I haven't seen something that specifically answers the following question...

I just installed Koni/GC fronts and AGX/GC rears with currently unknown spring rates, though I can likely find out. Now, I know the suspension is going to be stiffer than my GR2/Pro-Kit setup was, as well as lower, but there have been a few bumps with the Konis on full-soft that seemed almost like I was hitting the bumpstop. I can't recreate travel of that nature with a buddy essentially jumping up and down on the corner, but that's what it feels like to me.

So, on to the question...I'm running the AGXs on 7 and the Konis on full-soft. For streetability I plan to soften the rear. If I firm up the fronts, will that solve the problem I described above by allowing less free travel in the strut?

Thanks in advance.

The rear AGX's are way to stiff. I would run them at 1 or 2 and bring the fronts up to half way.

There isn't a factory perch on the Konis, just the threaded/rotating perch for the GC unit. If I can get the car in the air this weekend, I can grab that spring measurement.

I can say that the ride is great on streets that are better than average, 'round here.

The rear AGX's are way to stiff. I would run them at 1 or 2 and bring the fronts up to half way.

I there a specific way of knowing how tight/loose the Konis are? I loosened them, then counted turns towards "tight" on the little dial tool over lunch. Will do on the softening suggestion, though.

...meaning...

I even went through his postings as part of the process. ;)

I found myself more confused after that post. (though I get the turn =/= the next turn)

I think a shock dyno would be helpful... ;)

It's just the adjustment "crapshoot" that kills me. (See the point about one shock being set ott hard, one to soft, then coming up the same)

I think a shock dyno would be helpful... ;)

It's just the adjustment "crapshoot" that kills me. (See the point about one shock being set ott hard, one to soft, then coming up the same)

Don't worry about it so much. Just adjust each side of the front to about half way and turn the rears down to 2. When you hit the road course or autocross leave the rears alone and put the fronts on full stiff. Then adjust the rear to get more or less (stiffer to softer) over steer.

I need to find the "hard " limit on the adjustment, then figure out a 50/50 point on turns.

Per the previous owner "The springs are 440 lbs./in. Front and 350 lbs./in"

Sadly, I'm going to the beach this weekend and won't be able to work on it for another week. :/

It's for a wedding, more so than fun.

As I drive more, I'm not sure it's bouncing off the bumpstop as much as just "clunking".

See beach post. ;)

I'll ping the previous owner and see if he knows, though.

It's for a wedding, more so than fun.

As I drive more, I'm not sure it's bouncing off the bumpstop as much as just "clunking".

Could the clunking be a strut mount?

i am putting my GC kit on today with my AGX's the ones I gotin the box were
375F
250R

I am thinking that I am going to end with a stiffer setup we will see though.

^^^Ding ding ding ding

I hopped my frame on the fender and rode the car like a Brahma bull. The strut is indeed moving visibly where it mounts to the tower. Not sure how I can get the damned bolts tighter, though. :/

^^^Ding ding ding ding

I hopped my frame on the fender and rode the car like a Brahma bull. The strut is indeed moving visibly where it mounts to the tower. Not sure how I can get the damned bolts tighter, though. :/

Probably time for new mounts, Mine had play in it it to. I didnt replace them bcause its more motivation to get the caster camber plates!!!

^^^Ding ding ding ding

I'm going to go with what GreenGSX said for adjustment. I've got all four corners set to one turn but I have all Koni's. On my 1g I left the rear AGX's set at 1 or 2 for street driving.

For my Galant (2g suspension) I ran into the same problem on the front shock's moving around in the upper bushing. The factory shocks use a sleeve inside the rubber bushing at the top but it is too narrow of an internal diameter to work with the Koni's. I went to the hardware store looking for options and hit the plumbing section. I bought some threaded steel pipe sections and stuck those into the rubber bushing at the top. If I remember right they were 1/2" diameter pipe and about 1.5"-2" long. I just jammed those into the rubber and tightened the nuts down on there. It seems to be working really well. It lets everything bend around like it should but top to bottom motion is basically gone. Just take one of the bushing pairs into the store with you so you can pick the right length/diameter pipe. The rears didn't need it but I don't recall why.

I still have the GR2s sitting. Is the sleeve inside the bumpstop? They are 100% complete minus the mounts (reused).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back