The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New to me dsm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janesfam

Proven Member
Jul 9, 2021
Milwaukie, Oregon
Sold my last Exlipse gsx about 7 years ago and regretted the very next day. Life and kids and work kept me out of the time for the entire time. I recently spoke with a friend who has a monster 2.3 stroker 1997 gsx with relatively low miles. Worked out a good deal and I’m happy to announce she is getting picked up in about an hour.
She needs some parts but I’m told that the motor is super solid and it just needs some parts and put her back together. I’ll post some picks once I have her in hand. Super excited

Thanks man. Here she is before the wash 106k miles on a 7bolt 2.3 stroker made at English only around 3k miles on the completed build. 16g turbo, missing everything from the mani to the exhaust, so far I have an mhi stamped ported evo III turbo housing, a downpipe, a stock j pipe that goes in the wrong direction, and I have two stock eclipse 2nd gen turbo exhaust manifold, one to slap on and get her running and another to port and install as soon as I can manage it. It has some early 2k sparko seats, and the interior of a full grey in awesome shape. And it has a full custom car cover for it. Hahahaha pretty cool shit man

the transmission is built also. With ecm link and all the goodies, my good friend gave me a great deal on it and I couldn’t pass it up.

it has an older build thread on here I’ll find it and ad a link.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I didn’t have to work today, decided to get under the car and install the new Megan downpipe, and mocked it up to the new turbo downpipe, it all fits really well! Just have to get the wide band fitting tig welded on.

I was also able to bolt the rad center support on, its really jankie so I’ll have to get it cleaned up and tac it into place so no bolts are holding it in place, and then paint it to color match. After that I was then able to bolt on the bumper cover support and it really snugged the bumper and give a much better fit for the bumper cover.

So the last image is the driver lower rad mount section that was cut off from the previous half rad build. I have the replacement. Should I drill all those tacs out or just try to measure, cut, and weld up the replacement onto the existing mount that is left on the car? After that it’s just waiting on gaskets and hardware!

I run the stock on mine with an mls gasket on my hotside and they work great! Torque them to about 45-50lbs and make sure the conical lock washers are stacked in the correct orientation. I also used some high temp nichol antiseieze on the threads. Fp and Jnz have them with all 8 conical lock washers. The 02 bolts id use the same stock if I were you with metal gaskets.

I run the stock on mine with an mls gasket on my hotside and they work great! Torque them to about 45-50lbs and make sure the conical lock washers are stacked in the correct orientation. I also used some high temp nichol antiseieze on the threads. Fp and Jnz have them with all 8 conical lock washers. The 02 bolts id use the same stock if I were you with metal gaskets.

Where can I find those?

Slapped on an old 16g today to mock it up and figure out what I’m missing.
Intercooler piping from the j pipe to the intercooler. So I need a 90, a 180, and a runner that will connect them.

need those turbo housing bolts, and the turbo housing downpipe bolts.
j pipe gasket and turbo mounting gasket.
I need to get the wide band fitting tig welded onto my Megan downpipe. And I need to mig weld the dang rad mount replacement into the front clip. And some water lines.

Where can I find those?

Forced Performance and Jnz tuning has them as not all places include all 8 conical lock washers. Machv motorsports is the longer bolts only and street tuned motorsports have the 02 housing to downpipe studs/nuts. Extreme psi boostin and map performance have alot of dsm parts as well.

Last edited:
Well heck. The turbo j pipe I got second hand didnt fit right and didn’t look right. So I broke down and got a new cx racing j pipe, I’ve read on here that it’s the recommended fmic j pipe for the g series turbo. I have all my gaskets now as well.

just need the turbo mounting bolts and the fmic piping from the turbo the fmic. I had one lined up from a very cool guy here on the forums, but the connection to the j pipe would need modifications.

So far every used part I’ve gotten has been trouble, so I made a very long winded series of measurements, and did a days worth of eBay pipe hunting. I got more ets couplers and clamps. So I think I have all that finished and in route. Turned out to be almost 35$ cheaper also.

so the list is left with a 02 input to be tig welded onto the Megan downpipe for the wide band, the turbo mounting bolts, And the damn radiator mount. I have decided to drill the old tacs out and do the full mount replacement instead of trying to clean and weld onto the stump. I have a fresh titanium drill bit set and a bunch of batteries charged for my drill, hoping to tackle the removal in the next few days.

after that it’s fluids and hoses and I’ll start trying to fire the dang thing up.

So. Everything is ready to fire the car. But it has 1/4 tank of 5 years old has in it.
I know the 2gb doesn’t have a gas tank drain plug, and a couple of people have told me to fire up the fuel pump and eject the gas that way. But wouldn’t that be bad for the fuel pump or the pump screen? Wouldn’t that be really bad for the fuel filter?

So, I’m debating on pulling out the fuel pump
And assembly, syphon out the old gas, and then clean the tank based on what I can reach while it’s still in the car. My current location doesn’t allow me to drop the tank.

many advice? I’ve looked at some forum posts and haven’t come to a clear conclusion on this.

I’d replace the filter at the pump and the engine bay. I’d take a look inside. It maybe fine. I just remember the hose is a pia to remove on a 2g pump.

You should start a new thread btw

I’d replace the o2/downpipe gasket to mls. Your current gasket will eventually blow out.

Got everything installed and torqued, got all my oil lines and ofh restrictor installed, dry cranked to prime the turbo. Got the tank drained and added 5 gallons of super with an ounce of berrymans b12

she isn’t firing, cranks but no sputtering or anything at all, the fuel lab fpg is showing good fuel pressure numbers. The spark plug socket I had didn’t fit so I think I’ll get the right one when I return the torque wrench.

Pretty disappointed but I’m not giving up. Next up I’ll pull the plugs and test for spark, anything else that I might be overlooking? The ignition fuze looks great, all the fuses look great..

Last edited by a moderator:
So, took the injectors out today and they where completely locked up, went to injector masters here in Portland and they got these big ass 2150’s flowing like new. Re installed them and plugged everything back in. And she runs :)

After just a few minutes she is idling on her own, still very rough but not bad for sitting for 5 years

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back