The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

new to external wastegate, not boosting properly

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtimmyd

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2012
Government Camp, Oregon
I've gone through hell with this build but I'm almost there.

Got everything back together, with a turbonetics 50trim and turbosmart ultragate 38 on there. When I hit WOT and boost starts to build, I can hear the wastegate dumping and the boost keep climbing. It climbed all the way to fuel cut. Still on the stock 450 injectors with other fuel mods. (I have 1050's, but have to wait for DSM link). Took the wastegate apart and the standard 7lbs spring is in there. I'm wondering if the spring is bad or possible vacuum leak? He just had one vacuum line from the boost source to the wastegate with no MBC for now. Obviously the only way I can drive it is on wastegate pressure, but that is turning out to be almost 20psi at the moment. I bought a 10lb outer spring, and am waiting for it now.. At this time I just want to fix this boost problem, and get it into English to get the injectors in and DSM link. I also noticed he had the fuel pressure at like 60lbs or something that I thought was too high..

In addition to the wastegate spring I also bought, an OEM knock sensor (he has some weird subaru setup on there..), OEM slave/master (no clutch pedal pressure but engages), non cruise throttle cable (current one sticks, may have something to do with his throttle body rebuild).

I may just want to have English do all this as my mechanic isn't a DSM expert at all, but I am slowly becoming one myself... "DSM's turning drivers into mechanics daily" :hellyeah:

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have the boost controller hooked up backward ( if you have one) or a leak/crack in the waste gate vacuum line.

English are good guys, but they will charge you for every little thing and it wont be cheap. I didnt have too great a tuning experience with them cause they disnt even try to turn up the boost. Im making more power now with my own tune and 28psi on 94 oct then the 22 psi 400awhp 92 pump gas tune that aaron set me up with. Ill also mention they love to have pump gas afrs similar to e85 (12:1)

No MBC on right now, as I just want low boost until DSMlink, Leaky vacuum was my suspect too, going to try that with new WG spring. I hope that cures it, fuel cut does not feel good, especially with a fresh rebuild!!

Make sure your car is perfect or tey will jip your tune. They disnt change much at all just leaned me out and added 1 degree of timing. Charged me 300 for doing a base timing check and 5 dyno pulls. BS I SAY!

Granted i had a bent cam gear ( wasnt too bad) and a 7 bolt crank pulley on my 6 bolt. But i changed those now. BUT STILL they didnt really try. They will only really try if THEY built your car and know the motor 100%. Thats my experience. They are good at what they do. But they want to be represented 100% if they are gonna tune it balls out. Meaning, they did your block and head.

I lived by everett at the time and was also a decent 4 hr drive one way.

Well looks like we have a little work to do before I send it to them... I'll just make sure I am thorough with them about what I want. This will be the first tune this car has had ever, so I'm sure it'll be better than what it is now, especially with the SD tune. I'll make sure to share my experience when it happens, I trust they will do well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back