The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to DSM's - School Me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennyj1992

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Bay City, Michigan
Like the title says guys. I really know nothing about DSM's, and I just came here from the Cheverolet community. I was mainly into Cavalier's and the J-body scene and all of that. I'm sure I will go back one day, but for now am sticking around here for a minute. So here are a few questions I have.

1. What's the differences between models and turbo'ed compared to N/T?
2. I got this car at a steal from my buddy for $750 at 130k. Would it be smart to try and flip it for $3k and go for a turbo, or at least try to sell it for a lot more then I bought it for and get something quicker??? How about keeping it? It has been a great DD so far! :rocks:
3. Why do these cars hold so much value on craigslist? Even above KBB value! Are they rare or what?

I know it's a bit much for my first post, but in response, could everyone try to fit in and answer all of the questions above please? Thanks guys, and it's cool to be here. :p

As a previous JBODY.ORG member and Jbody fan I can tell you that it is a whole new world you are getting yourself into. I agree that if you are looking to make this into your "toy" car, even if it still happens to be your DD, you should try to find a GSX or TSI. With that being said understand that the 4g63 platform has been around the tuner community for a long time now and there are performance upgrades for practically every component you can think of. I owned a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire with the Ecotec and got frustrated when looking for upgrades. I was contemplating between buying my GSX or a 98 Z24 and I am glad of the choice I made.
With all that being said welcome to the community and congratulation on the wedding plans. This forum has an amazing database and the members are mostly eager to lend any information you can ask for.

Keep the car for now and save money. Once you get a turbo model you'll get a need for speed and either push the car hard and brake something or just want to push the car harder and spend money on go fast parts. Either way they become a money pit. Personally I got mine because it was a favorite as a kid and I totaled my truck. Found mine near by for $1200 in '09 and I've got 5,000+ into it now. Some of that was just maintenance and more of it was performance parts. As it was said before, it gets addictive!!!

I say fix it up and give it to the woman so down the road she will "LET YOU" get a toy after the wedding rather then going through the hassle of trying to fix it up while still staying in the sell for profit margin. it sounds like a good runner with just the usual rust issues for around your area. maybe you can get yourself a turbo model if you do some wheeling and dealing for one that has some issues. Im always coming across a craiglist ad where the owner needs to get a new car quick or doesnt know what they have but i fix cars for a living so i know how to knock down the price alot.

Yah, I was thinking that maybe I should just give this car to my wife after we get married. That way I can get into something faster, and much more enjoyably quick. It still handles amazingly, and since it's a 2gb (making it more rare I think?) and it's great on gas and reliable, I think I'm gonna hold on to it for now. I got such a wonderful deal on it, and it's a great DD for every day use for work and back too. Speed is definitively my game, but for now, just having a rarer car at such a young age is one thing I don't wanna miss out on. Having just another car on the road that everyone drives is kind of depressing to me. :barf:

Thanks for all the welcomes and congratulation posts so far everyone, and I'm sorry if I missed any replies that should of been answered on my part.

Even turbo models are pretty dang slow off the line. Unless you have launch control or anti-lag, you won't be impressing anyone by dropping the clutch. Once again, I suggest the Spyder GS. Tons of low end torque, very good looking, cheaper than any turbo DSM, easily converted to DOHC Turbo, and extremely reliable. I picked mine up bone stock, zero rust, and problem free with 90k for $3K. Not to mention I get 26mpg at 6,000ft above sea level.

Not a big convertible fan either, so everyone that suggested the Spyder, thanks, but no thanks. :idontknow: They get expensive with the hydraulic pumps (or lifts or whatever), and not to mention, winters are pretty harsh around where I live.

For now, I think I'm just gonna hold onto the 97'. It's great for getting me around where I need to go, and it's saving me money on gas and parts. Great trunk space for fireworks too! :thumb: I'm a huge fan, LOL.

After everything is said and done a few years down the road from now, I'm sure I'll get into something T/C'ed and play around with it, once I have a better paying job and all. Having a car that I want to constantly dump money into (to go faster) sounds like a lot of fun, but does get expensive, and I don't have that kind of cash, nor make it atm.

Excellent replies everyone! Thank for the fast, and amazing input on such a short notice. I'm impressed, since a lot of other dumb forums just bag on you for whatever questions you ask, whether it's legitimate or not.

Back to the topic...so everyone here thinks I should flip it then? I forget to mention this, but I also have a wedding I may need to start saving up for, including the honeymoon and everything. Does that change a matter of things? For those who think I can flip it, what could I get out of it? It has 131k on it now, and it's a 4 speed, like I said before. I heard the manuals are (of course faster) but more reliable then the auto's as well? Also seems to be a pain in the ass, but my check engine light just randomly came on while driving today.

Downright irritating. :banghead:

Hah, wow. I can't believe I totally forgot to tell you guys the main part LOL. It's an ESI N/T (which sucks, or else I would be keeping it for sure). :cry: Seems slow to me anyways, but my car before this was a 2200 Cavalier, and before that, the ol' 3.1 MPFI Z24 Cavalier. MUCH more torque off the line. This Talon is slow as shit off the line haha. It's all upper HP with these DSM's for sure.

IMO automatics are MORE reliable then the 5 speeds. Dsm tranny's are notoriously crappy sorry to say, the clutch is just touchy from the factory and shifting is usually notchy . Torque problems? it's just because it's n/a the 420a is a pefect daily driver but not so good for modding. If anything i would say sell off the 97 talon which is a rare dsm probably one of the hardest 2g's to find. and buy a 1g awd that will settle the torque problems:thumb: If you wanna see why a 97 talon is worth more find the dsm rarity link. diamond star stopped producing the talon in 98 making the 2gb harder to find, BTW 2ga talon owners would love to have the body from your 2gb talon. it just looks sexier if its original body LOL. post pics when you get a chance. and if you ever need help with anything automatic try talking to bud92gsx he's been a real help with me and my laser:thumb:

^ Thanks for the shoutout pal. Flint tropics in the hizzouse.

I think I will let this keep going untill I'm needed.There are plenty of knowlagable people on this thread allready.

^ Thanks for the shoutout pal. Flint tropics in the hizzouse.

I think I will let this keep going untill I'm needed.There are plenty of knowlagable people on this thread allready.

no problem bud you are usually the first to respond to most of my post's, just thought he could use your help if his tranny is acting up.

Aboslutely! Thank you two for the help so far. I'm tackling it one thing at a time. I did get an offer on the car today, but I'm still waiting for a call back. :confused:

Aboslutely! Thank you two for the help so far. I'm tackling it one thing at a time. I did get an offer on the car today, but I'm still waiting for a call back. :confused:

Thats good take care of the maintenance before you sell it, you won't wanna sell anybody a messed up car thats just mean LOL the guy i bought my car from lied to me about it well not really lied just didn't tell me every detail. i had to buy a ecu, transistor, coilpack and new calipers for the rear(they were seized in the off position) and he thought the ecu was the only thing wrong but that's alrite i feel i walked away with the win, the rims are worth more then what i payed for the car. but don't sweat the sale somebody will call like i said the 2gb talon is hard to find even a non turbo. i have only seen 1 in my lifetime it was my cousin's awd 5 speed sunroof it was a nice car. she sold it because it had a bad headgasket wish i wasn't only ten years old back then. she still sold it for 2k.

Well I can atleast do an oil change on this car, but I really would like to find another second generation z24, with a 5 speeeed in it. I've never owned a manual car, but want one. I know how to drive one, since my dad has a manual truck (I drive it all the time). :rocks:

always nice to have a turbo engine from the start then to make one turbo if you havent owen a boosted car before. gsx is a nice platform. awd for the win:hellyeah:

always nice to have a turbo engine from the start then to make one turbo if you havent owen a boosted car before. gsx is a nice platform. awd for the win:hellyeah:

Sounds like a lot of people on these forums all want the TSI for speed. The ESI makes a great car for reliability and every day driving so far though. It's got some pep to it too, which is nice! :thumb:

Sounds like a lot of people on these forums all want the TSI for speed. The ESI makes a great car for reliability and every day driving so far though. It's got some pep to it too, which is nice! :thumb:

did you ever drive a boosted dsm? If you sell your 2g you could easily get a 1g awd. any luck with the sale yet?

I don't think anyone touched on this but we all are horders LOL trying to find parts for dsms is a task LOL because what you need is buried in someone's garage LOL junkyards are useless that was my biggest shock starting out so the marketplace here is a godsend! And for the record I came from a z24 5speed cavi...ill take the reliability of a 4g63 over a quad4 any day LOL but whichever way u go more power to ya!

93Laser, no luck yet on the sale...at this point it's just a great car for work.

Quad4 or the Turbo 2.0 Talon? I would take the Talon any day. Faster, more MSRP value, and yes, the Turbo engine is a lot more reliable then the Quad4, absolutely.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back