The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

new to dsm's crankwalk Help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alltrac

Probationary Member
May 23, 2003
CaliforniaUS
Hi, i wasnt sure if this was the correct forum part to post this on, but here goes...

ive been reading the boards and it seems the crankwalk myth isnt an urban legend.... im considering going DSM , and i need some help .....

1) How much would a 6bolt go for?
2) If i got crankwalk and decided to keep my 7 bolt, how much would it cost to repair?
3) How much do thrust bearings go for?

According tot he poll seems like not that many people have it compared to not having it,I have read all the links but none of them really stated how much money it would cost... any price range would help, thanks

6-bolts are all over the place, very cheap.

And I can't help with the other questions cuz I never had a 2G.OMG

There are a range of things you can do if you get crankwalk. Some folks just replace the thrust bearing and figure they'll go a little further.

The surveys I've run into seem to indicate that once your engine gets it, it may very well get it again and sometimes in very few miles. My estimate, for my own purposes if my '97 crankwalks, is that I would need to put in a short block -- that's around $2K.

these are the quotes i had to deal with when my car walked.

Mitsubishit quotes
everyone knows that mitsu isnt exaclty the best place to go for this and heres some reasons why
-i was told a diagnosis is $500 and then they tell you if they have to replace the thrust bearing or the whole smallblock
-to replace the thrust bearing, they quoted $1200.
-to replace the 7-bolt smallblock, they quoted $7200
mind you this will not solve the problem of crankwalk so it can and has happended again to people who invested in mitsu's work. I doubt they would even attempt to try a 6-bolt conversion.

Road Race Engineering quotes
I'm having great service with them and will most like look to them for most of my DSM work. they dont bother with the 7-bolts so a you get a sixer from them. the prices range from around $3500 for a JDM GVR4 6-bolt swap, to around $5000 for a used 6-bolt swap, to around $7000 for basically a brand new six-bolt engine with HELLA goodies. Im talkin about forged pistons, new rods, high performace clutch, fidanza flywheel, porting of the o2 housing just to name a few of the top of my head.

as for the price of a new thrust bearing and a small block, it all depends whether you buy it used or new. i wouldnt think a used smallblock would go for much. of course if your able to do the work by yourself, unlike i could, the prices go down a hole lot. good luck with your search for a DSM and dont let crankwalk prevent you from gettin a bitchin car. i knew i could get it, got it, and im over it now.

Originally posted by 91 NT Eclipse
6-bolts are all over the place, very cheap.

exactly how cheap? ... and how long do these tend to last.... 100k miles tops? 200k miles tops?? plz more info!

mind you this will not solve the problem of crankwalk so it can and has happended again to people who invested in mitsu's work. I doubt they would even attempt to try a 6-bolt conversion.

good luck with your search for a DSM and dont let crankwalk prevent you from gettin a bitchin car. i knew i could get it, got it, and im over it now. [/B]

Damn mitsu!!!! can't fix your own wrong doings!!!

I think im going to stop worryinga bout crankwalk and think about how im gona fix it when/if it happens. Just hope it doesnt take a huge chunk out of my wallet :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back