The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to DSM's and I'm kind of lost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCL84

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2012
McHenry, Illinois
Anyone in the Lake county area I can call on just in case I need advice or a helping hand? I am new to DSM's and I feel like I am getting in over my head with this GSX. I have a nice GSX from California that I am dropping a motor and trans into. Lots of performance parts came with the car that I am not sure how to install and I have a bunch of hardware I still need to order so I can piece this thing together. I live in McHenry but the car is stored at my friends in Waukegan. Im learning a lot but I don't want to make mistakes. Beer and pizza is on me if anyone is interested in giving a helping hand soon.

Last edited:
Im new to this too and im working on a build also but I think you should start with maintenance first. I started mine without really thinking it out but I should have started with that. Easiest things after that could be gauges, fuel pump, bov, spark plugs and wires, intake, etc. I would leave clutch, injectors, intercooler, manifold and all that for last.

I am definitely doing maintenance first. I will be installing a new Gates timing belt kit and water pump next week. I hate doing timing belts! I never done one on a 4G63 before, hopefully I don't mess it up.

Ive got all the maintenance stuff learned. I am just having a hard time figuring out my performance parts. Ive got a Full Blown dual pump hanger that I know I will have trouble installing. I am doing a 6 bolt swap but that doesn't seem to hard to figure out. Hopefully I don't run into too many problems and all goes somewhat smoothly.

It took me probably about 10 months of taking my sweet time to get from a roller to first startup after my build, and it's still not even complete. I can drive it around locally but that's all i feel comfortable with atm.

If you weren't so damn far north I would probably be able to lend a hand. I'm sure there is someone up that way you can find that might be familiar with these cars.

Im trying to get this thing done before summer is over. Ive had this car sitting for almost 2 years because of money problems. To finish this car off in time I think I need to sell my whole valve train set up. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to measure and install valve springs so I guess I will just sell them to get this thing running.

Yeah Bolingbrook is a little bit of a drive from me. It would be nice to know someone that has knowledge of these cars. I kind of just jump into the DSM game not knowing a damn thing.

Are you still in Waukegan? I'm from Niles, about a 40 min ride or so. I don't mind giving a brotha in need a helping hand :) Shoot me a pm, ill give you my number

I used to live right next to you bro! Sorry for moving LOL could have helped you a lot! My parent live right in lake villa pretty close! You need help with anything just post bro, plenty of use can help you no problem!

You didn't happen to know a guy named Angel that works in Lake Villa painting cars did you? He mentioned to me not to long ago that he knew a guy that was into DSM's but moved to Hawaii.

Are you still in Waukegan? I'm from Niles, about a 40 min ride or so. I don't mind giving a brotha in need a helping hand :) Shoot me a pm, ill give you my number

40mins isn't to bad of a drive. Thanks for offering a helping hand I appreciate it. Ill send you a pm soon with what I have going on at the moment with the car.

Yep Angel with the green talon that's him. I know he sold it a while ago for 6g's. It was a nice car, that Talon is what started to get me curious about dsm's. He wanted to buy my GSX off of me and I almost did it. I think I have meet brad that works there but only once.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back