The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G New to dsm, performance upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKOOOOJE

Probationary Member
Nov 25, 2022
Charleston, West_Virginia
I recently bought a 97 2g gst and I am currently doing all the maintenance suggested, but I'd like to do some performance upgrades and I would like some advice on where to start so if anyone could give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Complete the normal 60k timing belt/water pump job before getting into any upgrades. Beautiful car BTW!

Yes, go over everything first. Look for any leaks, oil or otherwise, and fix them.
Since you bought the engine as-is, do a compression test followed by a leak-down if your test results are low.
You don't have to be factory fresh but it helps any performance upgrades further if you don't have 100psi in any particular cylinder. Fixing things there means you also leak a lot less of that added power into the crankcase or past the valves.

Yes, go over everything first. Look for any leaks, oil or otherwise, and fix them.
Since you bought the engine as-is, do a compression test followed by a leak-down if your test results are low.
You don't have to be factory fresh but it helps any performance upgrades further if you don't have 100psi in any particular cylinder. Fixing things there means you also leak a lot less of that added power into the crankcase or past the valves.
I learned my lesson when I got it, put 3 extra pounds of boost to my engine with the new wastegate actuator it needed and now I'm replacing a headgasket so everything else has been went through very thoroughly

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back