The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

new to dsm need guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstarr01

Probationary Member
Apr 5, 2015
new berlin, Wisconsin
Alright so I'm new to dsm.. Not a total noob to the car world but enough to where I have questions I cannot answer myself.. I just bought a 1995 eclipse gst. The only problems I am running into are a high idle after drivING for a while and/or turning on and off (running erronds)(stopING and going freaquintly). I also have a few conce runs while looking for any type of vacuum leak I noticed the person before me installed a short ram air intake to the turbo. Left the original air filte. But there are two lines that lead to what looks to be a sensor that are not connected..would those cause a idle problem. I've tried looking for answers everywhere and cannot seem to find any original diagram or answer I am looking for. Another issue I am haVing is a overheat problem. I already know the main cause which was a broken fan
.that has been ordered and should be here within the next two days. My only concern is that I did notice while doing a oil change that two hoses in the general area of the oil filter seemed to be expanding as if under a lot of pressure. Could that be a thermostat issue or just a old hose issue? I do know the car sat For about two years before I bought it so I expected issues 8m just jot familiar and a little cautious with this type of engine/setup.. any advice would be helpful

Will do in the morning when it's light out. I didn't even notice them until I took out the short ram aND noticed two hoses directly beneath it conned to some sort of wires.. I do know that when I look up Short ram intake for 1995 eclipse gst that there are a connection on each side of it right after it hooks up to the maf

For the love of god, please proofread your posts for grammar and basic sentence structure!

Last edited:
Sorry I'm on my cell phone so sometimes the autocorrect and the website seem to disagree at least on this Website I've noticed it..and manual boost control. I honestly can say I have no IDea what that would or could be. Atlast I would think..again Ive never owned any dsm or turbo vehicle so I'm pretty thrown off by all of this..always had an interest but never know anybody who knew exactly what they were doing

For the love of god, please proofread your posts for grammar and basic sentence structure!
I'm sorry but I thought this website was for help full criticism not any grammar natziNess.. just looking for help never claimed to be a English major

I'm sorry but I thought this website was for help full criticism not any grammar natziNess.. just looking for help never claimed to be a English major

This website is helpful, nor does it take an English major to get help. It does however, make it difficult to understand what you are trying to say if you do not even take the time to read what you are posting. If you would at least take a look at the policies and rules, it will also reiterate that for you as well. Please take the time to read your first post to see if it even makes sense to you.

Here is an example of what I am trying to explain to to you:

I didn't even notice them until I took out the short ram aND noticed two hoses directly beneath it conned to some sort of wires..

Having hoses "connected" (maybe) to wires would definitely seem like a big problem. I assure you, I am not trying to be mean, but it is very difficult to understand what your problems are.

Alright so I'm about 90% sure that the hoses I see are hooked up to the EGR valve control switch solenoid. Would that possibly cause a high idle after the car is warmed up?

Here is the stock vacuum diagram.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This makes a lot more sense Now that I know what it is. I took a look at it and there is a vacuum line going from the wastegate to a air output pipe I think? I would post pictures but my phone won't take a picture small enough for me to post..

Send the picture to yourself and most phones will prompt you to resize it so when it does, resize it and then you can post it. It's what I have to do. Just a tip.

The diagram I posted has the location of each of those lines in the correct orientation.

Ok that's what I thought just wanted to show you to double check..there is no air fitting on the turbo where one of those lines should attach.. any spicific fitting I should use?

Ya but the top hose is supposed to hook up right after the mass air flow sensor right?

The shorter cable runs to the air intake (underneath). The longer cable runs towards the boost source nipple on the turbo but on a stock setup there should be a short cable with a T in it that is going from the boost source to the wastegate nipple. The longer cable going from the boost control solenoid (BCS) goes into the T. I can't see from your pics if the short cable with the T is there or not. It shows in the diagram and you can just get some vacuum line and a T and make your own.

If there is something already plugged into the turbo boost source and the wastegate you likely have a boost controller of some kind. If your BCS is not plugged in that would lead me to believe a boost controller of some sort is there. If your boost source and wastegate were just left without vacuum lines you would be having more trouble that you have described.

If those lines are there trace them back to the boost controller. If it is a manual one it will have a couple vacuum nipples and some kind of knob to make adjustments. An electronic one can vary but might look like a little black box.

If you don't have a functioning aftermarket boost gauge (not the stock one) and a wideband then I would sidebar the boost control in favor of the stock setup until you are ready for that sort of thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back