The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder New to DSM, Hi!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmmmrspicy

Probationary Member
Feb 19, 2023
Texas
Hello everyone!

I just bought a 1998 Spyder GST (120k mi) from my grandparents. It has a lot of sentimental value since I use to drive it when I was 16 (31 now). I have been reading through this forum like crazy and I love the information! I have been using the search bar a ton, so honestly I don’t have a lot of questions! I am planning on doing a resto-mod, with just some light aesthetic touches and mild bolt ons. Very excited for the project, I have lots to do. I love documenting things so I’m sure I will have updates & questions as I go. Just wanted to say hi! Tomorrow I will be getting it all clean, but here are my official “before” pics.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Welcome to the site @Mmmmrspicy ...interesting username... I thought I was stuttering...LOL
I agree with Steve... get after that rusted shock tower before your project is not worth working on.
Hopefully you can do a bit of wet sanding to get rid of the clear coat fade, but I would not worry about that, bro...shock tower first.

Welcome to the site @Mmmmrspicy ...interesting username... I thought I was stuttering...LOL
I agree with Steve... get after that rusted shock tower before your project is not worth working on.
Hopefully you can do a bit of wet sanding to get rid of the clear coat fade, but I would not worry about that, bro...shock tower first.
Absolutely, I was having it taken care of whenever the car goes over to have all of the body work & paint redone, but I’ll just get it sanded today. Good news is that it is very surface level. Looks a little darker in the picture.

Thanks for the advice!

You have your work cut out for you with that rusted out strut tower. Good Luck.
Well Steve, you were definitely right. I just finished removing all of the rust. It was deeper than I thought, but thankfully confined to about 2-3 inch section.

I got a picture after I used a dremel to clean all of the major rust chunks away to send to my body shop. I cleaned the rest of it with a rust dissolving gel to get the surface level orange rust color stuff away. Then wet sanded and brushed away the rest of the color. It’s all metal now, but I’ll probably end up needing to cut that section out and re-weld in a patch. Next weekend, I’ll take the fender and wheel off and attack the underside of the wheel well area to see what I’ve got going on there.

Dang. I love this story. This us gonna be a special car, once you fix the paint qnd that strut tower rust. Can we see more pictures?

You should fill out a vehicle profile > http://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

Absolutely! Car is taking a back seat to the roof right now, working with insurance to repair some tornado/ storm damage, but it won’t be long until I get going on the body/paint stuff. On a bright note, I found an extra Innovative Wideband afr gauge kit brand new in box in my garage in some of my old mustang stuff, so that will get put to use!

The rust spot is currently stripped of rust and filled with jb weld, while I wait to find a replacement panel/car that I can cut the section I need for it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back