The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

New to DSM. Hi everyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyTalon

Probationary Member
Jul 30, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
Just bought my first DSM a few weeks ago and like a lot so far. I bought a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI. It has 115k miles on it. All stock and interior is very clean. My name is Jordan I live in Thornton Co. Plan to rebuild engine soon. I will post pics of the car later after work. Thanks for looking

It runs awesome. Just a few problems with it. I will do a compression test this weekend to be sure. But I was just going to do the rebuild so I knew it was good to go. The few problems it has is if clutch isn't smashed against floor it'll grind and it has a jumpy idle

Welcome aboard! Take a look around the forums, catch up on the maintenance and enjoy the Talon. Is it fwd or awd? You'll soon be consumed and addicted to the dsm.

It is the AWD. Lol I already have started to get addicted. Thanks for replies

Welcome, yea boy are these cars addicting haha, my girl hates it but loves my car to so its a love hate thng with these cars I swear... Here's something you might want to read over about your idle sounds kinda like idle surge... http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/191137-how-fix-your-idle-surge-problem.html
None the less, good thing you got a 1g, not many rolling around especially 90 all wheel drives. Also check your master cylinder under the dash for leakage and your clutch fork position under the trans when you get a chance, I had a similar issue with the having to press the clutch pedal hard all the way..

welcome buddy couple things to get you started dsm- diamond star motors, gs and rs come with a chrysler 420a the gst comes with the 4g63 fwd and the gsx has a mits 4g63 but awd dont know if you know theses things but wanna be safe so people dont chw you alive like they did when i first started LOL but anyways good luck and welcome to the dsm community

Awesome thanks everyone for all the great info. I will be looking into all this after work today. Im happy with the car the interior is great I'll get the pics posted up later today.

Hey and welcome to the boards/world of DSMs!

Once you check the compression of the motor, make sure your clutch is properly adjusted...see these following links to verifY:

Clutch Drag Kills Synchros! – Jacks Transmissions LLC
[ame="http://youtu.be/vYJxQyjIhUw"]http://youtu.be/vYJxQyjIhUw[/ame]
Clutch Pedeal Adjustment - Team Rip Engineering

Also, 1Gs are known for their (clutch) pedal assembly issues. If there is play in the pedal before it's actually doing anything, you're going to want this thread:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/389980-1g-clutch-pedal-removal-install.html

hi there Im also new to dsm's just got my first one a couple days ago 97 talon tsi

Hi everyone. And also thanks for that info TAZ. I didn't get to read much yet on those links but I'm assuming I'll probably need a whole new clutch assembly?

Some crappy cell pics. I'll have it all cleaned up and get some real pictures soon.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375224434542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375224434542.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 65
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375224453605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375224453605.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 69
Hey everyone, I too am pretty new to DSM's. I just bought my first about 5 months ago and I love it. I've got a 98 eclipse gst. Mine has a few mods like a front mount intercooler, aftermarket 3" exhaust, greddy bov, and I have a turbo header that I still need to bolt on. I was curious what others think about the turbo headers, are they actually worth swapping out from the stock manifold? I noticed a lot of people prefer to use the oem manifold over the headers. Of course I do have some other issues that I need to get fixed as well. The person I picked it up from did not like to do things the proper way so I have been going through the car a little by little trying to fix and correct his previous "REPAIRS". I have posted a couple pics , and will post more as I get the chance.

So instead of jacking with adjusting the clutch I'm just going to buy a new clutch assembly. Do you guys know the best place to get the highest quality one?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

man you are going about this all wrong. Don't buy a new one if its not broken. You are going to have to get under the dash and adjust the mastercylinder linkage. Do it before you destroy your synchros. I have a 90 tsi awd and absolutely love it! congrats.

So instead of jacking with adjusting the clutch I'm just going to buy a new clutch assembly. Do you guys know the best place to get the highest quality one?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Clutch adjustment costs you nothing but time. A new pedal assembly will be at least a couple hundred bucks and a fair chunk of time to remove the old one and install the new one (the time is the least of the issue, though...it is a huge PITA).

I would try checking/bleeding/adjusting everything first and then worry about your pedal assembly.

Is there play in your clutch pedal???

Hi everyone. And also thanks for that info TAZ. I didn't get to read much yet on those links but I'm assuming I'll probably need a whole new clutch assembly?

Some crappy cell pics. I'll have it all cleaned up and get some real pictures soon.

At least you have a 2g shift knob! the stock 1g ones are pretty big.

Nice interior dude. These 1g's are growing on me..... oh wait, its still a damned dsm LOL. Love hate as said above. When they run right, its a blast.

Hey guys! I'm new to DSM's too. And my name just so happens to be Jordan too. Just got my first about a week ago. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it so I haven't had the chance to drive it yet. But I am really looking forward to the project and when it'll be up and running.

Here is a pic of the rest of the car

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375810896965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375810896965.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 56
Got the fmic on and also tial bov

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380392385737.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380392385737.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 56
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back