The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G new to DSM, Denver help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I21chardh

Probationary Member
Oct 10, 2022
Denver, Colorado
Hello all. I recently acquired my 1G GSX that I've always wanted since high school in the early 2000s. This is my first DSM and about to start the process of refreshening and restoring. I could certainly use some help over the next several months as this takes place if there is anyone in the Denver area that is around and can assist would be greatly appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know a little about these cars and can help answer questions.
"A little" ROFL......the forum is better with you on it my friend!
OP, Im in Kansas but am always trying to help and I own all 1g's. All the members here are super helpful, those close to you will be a godsend if you are new to the platform.

I’m also about as far from you as Marty, and also only own 1g—90 gsx (and agree with his comment about Steve!). There are definitely a few things about the 90 awd that are unique, and not always in a good way. But this forum is a lifesaver. Glad you finally were able to get your own. Looks like a nice find. Post some pics and complete your vehicle profile when you can.
Welcome!

My first order of business is getting this drivetrain up to par. Next month I will be pulling trans for a drag rebuild at jacks, as well upgrading my center diff. It does unfortunately have a stock rear 3 bolt diff. What all will I need aside of axles, diff and cups? Anyone in the area have a spare 4 bolt diff to sell?

I see these in the classified section fairly often. Post a WTB ad. I think the parts you listed are the the necessary ones to swap.
Opens up the rabbit hole of wheel bearings, subframe, maybe other stuff. You know, since you’ll already have done half the work by that point.
Also you get to decide to sell your 3-bolt stuff or squirrel them away for some future “just in case” scenario.

If you are breaking your 3 bolt, it likely is your own fault. That rear end will support more horsepower than you likely will ever make.

The only thing that varies is the cups on the axles. The pumpkin is the same and the axles are just as strong. Your time and money is better spent elsewhere.

If you are breaking your 3 bolt, it likely is your own fault. That rear end will support more horsepower than you likely will ever make.

The only thing that varies is the cups on the axles. The pumpkin is the same and the axles are just as strong. Your time and money is better spent elsewhere.
if you think I will be ok at 600whp I will just inspect, rebuild and run the 3 bolt rear then.

600hp is a long way away.

Breaking a rear end can happen on a stock vehicle if you are an idiot. Horsepower doesn’t determine its fuse. Bad driving and wheel hop do. And the more you launch it, the shorter that fuse. All things being stock that is.

Even the most expensive rear ends break. Spend your time and efforts elsewhere.

This car has already made 472whp on stock bottom end but is currently turned down to 23lbs(roughly 440) until Its been gone through, so not all that far away from being at 600 reliably.
It is currently on GM MAF E85 tune with no flexfuel sensor which I feel like should be addressed sooner than later. I need to switch to SD MAP sensor for this correct? Tune seems to be pretty good although I feel like I have an incorrect BOV spring as it flutters open over 20psi on a hard pull in 3rd. Having no prior knowledge of DSMlink I managed to get it up and running on my laptop to look around and check as much out as I could figure out but its configured for knock sensor alarm on CEL and stock boost gauge.

Last edited:
As stated. When you are ready to tune this thing give me a jingle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back