The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

new to dsm but not new to cars accidently bought 1990 fwd laser

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasershark

Proven Member
May 17, 2013
over yander, Idaho
hey guys new to the dsm world but always been a car dude, so here's the scoop, I bought (last monday) a 90 laser turbo rs, i have been looking for an awd dsm for a while, found what I thought was a awd laser dude wanted 1000 for it 140,000 miles on it said it needed a new tps, well he didn't say that as his english wasnt the greatest, I asked him via text if it was awd he said yes i drove 75 miles to look at it. By the time i looked at it it was dusk and there was grass growing around the car I tried to get a peak at the rear diff but couldn't. so i drove it around the block motor was strong. I told myself when i first started driving it to pull over to peak under the car, i forgot! not LOL-ing. gave the dude 900 bucks for it and drove it the 75 miles home, long story short tps is fine (multi-meter verified) but the MAF is bad. found a dude selling a cheap GM maf with translater but Im at a loss. I want to sell it and return to my search for an awd but i will inevitably take a hit. i heard that 1g awd conversions are a pain in the ass compared to 2g plus not worth the money and effort.

would you guys put money into a fwd when you really wanted an awd or take the hit and sell it?

If you're not going to be satisfied with it, i say get what you really wanted in the first place. Never settle for less.

probably true I am probably just gonna get it running and sell it, taking a hit!
heck maybe I'll get lucky and find an awd 2g with a blown motor so i can make it a 6bolter for cheap

I love FWD!! Not nearly as many parts break when getting added hp and you can still go fast! I ran a 11.9 in a full weight 2g couple years ago, this was on a 16g. I now have a 90 laser FWD, and ran a 12.0@ 122 on only 17psi. Traction on the street sucks but I love my FWD!!

I love FWD!! Not nearly as many parts break when getting added hp and you can still go fast! I ran a 11.9 in a full weight 2g couple years ago, this was on a 16g. I now have a 90 laser FWD, and ran a 12.0@ 122 on only 17psi. Traction on the street sucks but I love my FWD!!

well now my break even point is 1200 after buying a maf-t for it, cheaper than a oem replacement and probably better for resale. but ya if i wait a bit i should be fine to break even or maybe come out on top a little

have you owned an awd ever? I never have, I have a m6 lt1 trans am and a hpt 98 c70 (fwd), so i just wanted a little piece of it all LOL

even with this laser not running right (bad maf) i break them loose around the corners

sorry new to here gotta figure out that auto merge thing

Last edited:
You might be able to find a awd shell and use the motor from the laser you got. If you want an awd and will not be satisfied with out then go for it. As others have said a fwd can still go fast as well, plus the weight less.

When quoting people on the bottom right on their post is a "quote" icon, when you select this it will automatically select that persons text for you in your reply showing who said it.

Mi"sma;153269519 said:
You might be able to find a awd shell and use the motor from the laser you got. If you want an awd and will not be satisfied with out then go for it. As others have said a fwd can still go fast as well, plus the weight less.

When quoting people on the bottom right on their post is a "quote" icon, when you select this it will automatically select that persons text for you in your reply showing who said it.

oK THANKS!
Im hoping i can find an awd shell as well but Idaho has poor selection for dsms
I like the 2g better so if i was gonna do a motor swap I'd do it with what i want i just thought i got lucky! but my mistake. I will probably just drive it around for a while to get the feel for the dsm world but as far as mods... I'll wait for an awd, i had the plan of doing a 92-94 front/rear end conversion for either a talon or eclipse because well i like it better but that fell through with my disappointment, but heck for a good running dsm for 900 i cant complain, at least I got my foot in the door!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back