The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

New to all this

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17andCrazy

Probationary Member
May 24, 2004
Apple Valley, Minnesota
ok so im into fbodys and am going to get one again sometime. right now i have a 93 trans am, and it was salvaged, so im getting rid of it. im just going to buy my winter car right now (which is going to be this $2000 talon TSI awd). interior is great, body is good, paint sucks, but its for a beater and to romp around town in anyway, engine has 187K miles. so heres the problem...

driving and accelerating felt just fine, pulled real well for a 4 banger and i only brought it to 4K in 2nd. thing is, at idle sittin in the guys garage it couldnt do it. it would be at 1000, then almost fall on it's face and drop to 500, then correct itself and get back to 1000. it did this at a steady pace. when we were driving it and it was time to stop we put the clutch in, hit the brakes, and the car just dies. it couldnt do idel at a roll. we turn it over and it starts right up. accelerating is fine, ideling it has issues. i think i cna get it for $1500, but whats the deal with it? if it's just a vaccum problem like IAC or something, is it an easy fix? could it be a shot piston/cylinder? what is the deal with it and will it be easy/cheap to fix?

So no bad piston? where should the oil pressure be at? this car was at the line on the left half of the gauge. is that about normal for a car like this?

is that rebuild site respectable?

thing is, i dont have high idle. my idle goes between 1000 and 500.

-I didn't say get the rebuild motor from them, on their site have instruction on how to check the ISC motor, you have to first find out why it won't keep the set idle, on the first link above, have most the possibilities of why it the idle is surging.

I spent a week chasing this problem.....

the final fix was to drain the tank. put in new gas and a bottle of dry gas. This may not be your problem but it was mine and is easy to do.

You may want to check if you are firing on all 4. do the simple thing and pull the wires one at a time making sure to short the wire you just pulled. This is important because the ignition uses a wasted spark method (which i keep forgetting :thumbdown: )

yes the pressure moves, but i meant at idle it sits about there

ok well should i get the car? seems like it isnt anyting too expensive to fix? should i have a mechanic look at it?

-The oil pressure increase as the engine's speed increase.
-As with any older cars, it comes with many problem, if this is your spare car then go ahead, but see if you can get it down to $1000.

but i need to know if this will be an expensive repair... expensive as in couple hundred dollars or more.

i think ill ask $1200, but im probably going to have a mechanic look at it tomorrow for $80 to check it ALL over for reliability.

17andCrazy said:
is that rebuild site respectable?

Crebotech is a very respectable site. I know Marcus Crebo personally and he is a great guy! Ive called his shop several times when im in a bind and hes always been super friendly\nice!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back