The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

New stock 7-bolt block record

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice! We may have another 9s hx40 on our hands soon! Good luck, and car looks great.

Thanks Cory and Dave! I am going to pick up a Batmowheel for my HX-40 and then some Kelford cams and hopefully pick up some ET and MPH!

Congrats again Will!!!

Glad I could be there to see it and meet everyone!

Now, I'm coming after you .... :D:thumb::hellyeah:

That's what I like to hear!

How about a battle royale at the Shootout this year in the DSE class? Battle of the Stock 7 Bolt!

We should be bringing 3 or 4 capable cars (including myself) to compete in DSE.

Will, what's the weight on the 2g and, if you don't mind spilling the beans, what all have you stripped?

:dsm:

I never actually weighed the car with me in it, but I'd estimate 3200ish (conservatively) with me in it. I've removed the roof liner, all the seats, corbeau driver's seat, rear plastics, sound deadening, CF hood, CF hatch, AC, cruise control, ABS, and the carpeting. That's about it though.

Congrats!! It seems like a lot of people hate the 7 bolts. That's a lot of power to go through a stock bottom end. Stock rod bolts even?

Congrats!! It seems like a lot of people hate the 7 bolts. That's a lot of power to go through a stock bottom end. Stock rod bolts even?

I don't think its that anyone HATES them. The proof is in the pudding though. Aside from the crankwalk issues suffered from the early 7 bolts, they just have much lower limitations. Look at what the record is here and then look at the 6 bolt of 9.22@154. Not taking anything away from this as its amazing! That is a HUGE spread between the two records though.

Huge difference in OEM rod strength as well. Thinner OEM rods on higher-compression OEM pistons will definitely pose a problem.

Oh, I totally agree! I was just stating why you see so many people switch to the 6 bolt. Unless its built, I think the results speak for themselves...

Even though I have a 2.3 stroker assembly ready to go for my next block, I want to try a 6 bolt/ EVO ix piston setup with arp hardware. Not to set any kind of record, because I know its not stock, but just to see how far it can go since I haven't seen this combo put to the test yet.

I wonder what is the difference in limitations between stock 6 bolt, stock 2g 7 bolt, and stock Evo bottom end.

I hate to clutter this thread with all this so my apologies to the OP and Dexterholland. I WOULD like to say that my opinion on why the EVO 7 bolt is able to make so much more power lies in the entire combination, but HEAVIEST, I believe, on two things. The first being the ability to make more efficient power due to the superior stock head design and head AND block cooling. Secondly.....in the pistons. I feel this is truly what allows the weaker 7 bolt rods to hold what they do. From their lighter weight, semi-forged crown and ringlands, strategically placed ring spacing, and most of all, offset wristpins. All of these features, I feel, dramatically raise the knock thresholds and more evenly distribute thrust forces on the compression stroke through the rod. THIS is what intrigues me so about combining the EVO ix piston with the much stronger 6 bolt rods! Add the advantage of having a 22mm pin with 6 bolt rods and arp rod bolts, and I think you'd have the ultimate setup for a shortblock that could take a hell of a beating and still get a lot of daily driven miles out of it.

We're going to give it one more shot to best Will's 10.33 run before the shootout.

The old "HKS 272" cams are out, and a set of K272's from Delta are on their way!

Will also has to replace the rear axle he broke from the last track outting. :thumb:

Crap I came in here because I thought there WAS an update :D.

Keep up the great work can't wait to see how she runs with the new camshafts.

*quick update*

We've been very busy, but we're still running the stock 7 bolt. We're fixing to put it into the 9's this summer.

Will is currently deployed to Afghanistan, but he'll be back soon...then its GO time. :thumb:

You are correct.

It's a friendly battle which has been very fun. Will comes back from Afghanistan tomorrow and then it's nonstop work in the garage until we get to the track to try again. :thumbup:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back