The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Silvia is AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackAWD

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Redwood City, CA, California
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

http://www.7tune.com/silvia_001.html

It may come as a surprise as to why Nissan would choose a 4WD platform to replace the RWD S-series Silvia's which are immensely popular amongst the younger car enthusiasts, who use these cars extensively for ‘drifting', which is experiencing a worldwide boom right now.

The Nissan 240SX was popular in the USA while it was on sale there (and has regained popularity due to the D1 Drifting events held in California) and the 240SX name could very well be revived to cash in on Nissan's increasing cult status there. But FR platforms are very costly to develop and build so in order to maintain driver satisfaction, a front wheel drive based 4WD platform is the best compromise to keep costs down and ensure the all important driver satisfaction… even though most buyers will want a rear wheel drive platform. I guess you could say that the new Silvia is ‘name only', and that it will have more in common with upcoming Honda Civic SR coupe concept than Silvia's of old.

Nissan also feel justified in developing a 4 cylinder 4WD turbo as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru Impreza STi are very popular among young Americans, so Nissan want to push more into this market. Needless to say the next Silvia will also be sold in Japan, where Nissan's profile is still high due to Carlos Ghson, so to further increase Nissan's already high profile revival of the Silvia is near the top of the agenda… just after the Nissan/Infiniti GT-R.

Wow, talk about aerodynamic crap.

One good thing that could come out of it is IF they use an SR engine, and badge it as a 240sx in the U.S., that would make SR Swaps legal in older 240's since it'll be available in a newer one.

disclaimer: i'm no expert on this sorta thing, i'm just speculating

I don't really like the front end or the wheels.

OMG WTF ...and i thought the EVO X design was a ugly. Where are car designers getting their ideas from? :toobad:

DGajre777 said:
About freaking time someone made a new 2 door AWD turbo car! :thumb:

Too bad I think it looks like crap.. but maybe someone else will like it? :barf:

And just a bit more than stunningly unattractive. They've kind of lost their grip on the original re-body of the Roadster chassis, which was a damned good-looking car when it came out in the early sixties:

Attachments

• csp311white.jpg
    csp311white.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 740
The front resembles the G35 too much, actually the overall look is a 350z/G35 cross. If they improve the front and put different wheels on it, it will look quite nice imo.

bhop said:
One good thing that could come out of it is IF they use an SR engine, and badge it as a 240sx in the U.S., that would make SR Swaps legal in older 240's since it'll be available in a newer one.

disclaimer: i'm no expert on this sorta thing, i'm just speculating

The performance shop I work at does LEGAL and pass's smog on all are sr20 and rb series swaps, we do between 10+ swaps a month..

JessesTalon said:
The performance shop I work at does LEGAL and pass's smog on all are sr20 and rb series swaps, we do between 10+ swaps a month..

Legal in Cali?

I think all the car creators or whatever are trying to make all the new cars the "FUTURE" look as if they were gonna start flying...

ugh,

5 out of 10 for me :(

-az-

it looks alright except for the front bumper.. if it had more of a big opening mouth like the 2g it would look nice.. not to mention acompany a feature FMIC.. if its carrying the SR20DET.. matched up with AWD.. it will be a good seller for those who dont want a 4 door

On the front end:

Can anyone say Gallardo headlights meet 360 Modena bumper? First thing that popped in my mind.

OH DEAR GOD! what the hell is wrong with these frickin car companies?!?!?!?!?

that thing is butt-@$$ ugly! Lose the frikcin "big balla" wheels on the damn thing too!

compared to the beatiful design of the S15, that thing looks like a frickin obese chrysler crossfire

AWD? IMO, anything called a Silvia is RWD, not that abomination.

That thing is uglier than the Evo X, which was pretty bastardized in my opinion.

BTW- I drive an S13, so that is why Im freaking out

I could go on for hours, but instead im just going to drink and pretend that car doesnt exist.....I have yet to be impressed with any cars coming out in the near-future, they honestly all disguust me

alright, rant over

It's like every car designer is using AutoCAD to design their cars instead of a piece of pencil and paper.

I miss the days of Dick Teague. At least he knew how to make an ugly car look interesting.

IF they use an SR engine, and badge it as a 240sx in the U.S

SR? not likely...SR series motors are outdated (and so are RB's for that matter)....if anything it would probably have a VQ v6 (maybe de-tuned) or a variant of the QG/QR 4 cylinders like the newer Sentra's have.And yeah...this is justa concept...the chance that it would come to market looking outlandish as it does in these pics is pretty slim.

Sadly, car design is driven by consumers, not enthusiasts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back