The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

*NEW* Stiffer Shifter Base & Cable Bushings | 3D Printed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
I've been playing around with flexible filaments lately. 3D printing has great capabilities for printing replacements for old worn out rubber bushings. The great part about designing bushings, was that I can play with infills and TPU shore hardness in order to get my favourite feeling bushing. So I present to you: 3D printed shifter base and cable bushings.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I believe these fit all 91+ DSMs. It was modeled on a 2g DSM shifter, but from some research it seems like all shifters from 1991 onwards were the same. Please correct me otherwise.
These are printed out of 90A TPU. For the base bushings, they are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings, with zero play, but are still an elastic material. It's comparable to polyurethane. It makes the mounting more solid, but the material is still elastic to absorb vibrations.
I designed the cable bushings as well because I felt a bit of play in the linkages. These cable bushings went through a lot of iterations to get the fitment exact. 3D printing allows for to prototype for these tight tolerances, and make sure that it fits the exact same for every DSMer. I'm incredibly confident in the strength of these bushings, just see for yourself! I include a few bushing-washers, which I made to reduce some of the play in my short throw shifter. I only needed two, but there are 4 included in the kit. I figure these are misc. bushings that can be used to help with spacing/vibration damping anywhere you might need them. Also, you could try to tear one apart to see what the strength is like. They will speak for themselves.

The kit includes 15 bushings. 8 are the shifter base bushings, which are two-part. These utilize the stock metal sleeve out of the stock rubber bushings. If you don't have this sleeve, let me know! I can design them without. It's not ideal, but the bushings will still hold up. 2 bushings make up the connection for the throw shifter cable, and 1 bushing makes up the shifter gear selector cable (side-to-side one). There are also 4 misc. bushings included, that help with eliminating play in a short throw shifter, but can be used for anything.

From the bottom you can see the infill on the inside OMG It's gyroid, a pattern that relies on waves in all directions, to provide the best multi-directional strength.

These are selling for $45 USD shipped in NA. You also have the option to buy them from my site! www.shophef.com. You are free to choose to order through myself or the site, whichever works better for you. Let me know if you have any questions! I'd love to hear if anyone has any feedback. I'm also considering making a short install video to help everyone out. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_4920.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG
    628.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
You did a really nice job! I hope that you sell many of these, I can see that you put some real time and effort into these, as long as the word on them gets out to enough of the community I can see these moving for you pretty good.

Thank you! I'm actually really interested in the possibilities with printing bushings now. These things are really strong, and a little more printing magic and post-processing might make them strong enough for suspension components. I'm looking into it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back