The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

New SBR Manifold w/ External Wastegate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you're looking for quiet, I'd recirculate it back into the downpipe. I'm an old fart so there's only so much obnoxious noise I can tolerate before I want to fix it. I hated mine running open, but it's up to you.

Let us know what you decide and snap some pics if you have a chance.

Andy, that is the best recirc I may have ever seen, way downstream. I wish there was room to route a pipe all the way to near the flex, that would really rock.

I have a VPE o2 housing and it has the dump pipe. I was afraid of how loud it was gonna be, but after installing it and driving around its not to bad. Only get really loud around full boost. So if you drive around in a civil manner you wont be able to tell.

underradar92 said:
Andy, that is the best recirc I may have ever seen, way downstream. I wish there was room to route a pipe all the way to near the flex, that would really rock.

I'm glad you like it. It would be a bit cumbersone to remove the downpipe since everything is welded. The angle's not quite perfect either so that it pushes straight into the stream, but it seems to work well enough without creating a great deal of flow disruption. The best part is that it's quiet.

andymoraitis said:
I'm glad you like it. It would be a bit cumbersone to remove the downpipe since everything is welded. The angle's not quite perfect either so that it pushes straight into the stream, but it seems to work well enough without creating a great deal of flow disruption. The best part is that it's quiet.

Never thought I'd be old enough to agree with this. I hate mine now but I think I'm jsut sick of the car in general.

has anyone even got there SBR manifold i have had one on order all summer long and still have not got it yet. I have called and i keep hearing that they are shiping in a week or 2.

JrCRXHF said:
has anyone even got there SBR manifold i have had one on order all summer long and still have not got it yet. I have called and i keep hearing that they are shiping in a week or 2.

I've had mine for a good while now. The only thing that delayed my order was my injectors.

JrCRXHF said:

If i were you i would order the manifold from someone else. A few months ago i called SBR and they told me it would take 3-4 weeks for it to ship out. That wasn't good enough for me so i got mine from Dejontool and had the mani in 3 days.

well they called me and asked if i wanted to wait for a stainless cast so i said sure this was in june and i still do not have the mainfold.

After the newness of the dump wore off, I had mine recirculated just like Andy's (right at the downpipe bend and at a 45* angle) and the only problem I ran into is its a bit harder to take off the oil filter during oil changes. Performance was not affected (according to DSMLink) but the car was not as shocking when it took off...I think it was more of a 'placebo' thing.

Also, I was able to keep both stock fans with my SBR manifold and TiAL 38mm running a 50-trim.

blackGSX2g said:
Also, I was able to keep both stock fans with my SBR manifold and TiAL 38mm running a 50-trim.

Why is that, when the others had to go with slimlines?

Where does a 38mm wastegate become a restriction and a 44mm become mandatory or at least desired? I want this to be the last manifold I buy even if I decided to go to a FP30 later. But if that would require another upgrade, if I went with a DNP model with 44mm Tial setup, would that have an adverse affect using it with a small turbo like an EvoIII in the meantime?

^^I honestly have no idea, maybe they never tried it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My TiAL has held as little as 14psi and well over 30 psi with no problems. If you've already got the 38mm the only reason I'd upgrade is to get either a 4-bolt or v-band flange.

I had to hack up some of the cross braces on my stock passenger's side fan for clearance, but that's only because I run piping to the sidemount and not an FMIC. Good job and cramming 10 lbs. of crap in a 5 lb. bag Matt. I had no idea the stock A/C fan would actually fit in there.

GPTourer said:
Why is that, when the others had to go with slimlines?

Where does a 38mm wastegate become a restriction and a 44mm become mandatory or at least desired? I want this to be the last manifold I buy even if I decided to go to a FP30 later. But if that would require another upgrade, if I went with a DNP model with 44mm Tial setup, would that have an adverse affect using it with a small turbo like an EvoIII in the meantime?

I would stay away from the DNP exhaust manifold. It's OK for a light weight turbo but I cracked mine with a Holset and(here's the weight) a Bullseye turbine housing. The worst of it though is the small runners that apparently are not set-up in a jig with the flange having the runners correctly aligned. The Bullseye turbine has an excellent internal wastegate holding 30psi with an AGP billet actuator. My last manifold was the "old" SBR without the external port bolted in place but it had very large runners and the cost was around $179. couldn't beat that!
Depending upon how much hacking you wish to do the stock fans may fit depending on the turbo of your choice. mark

I didn't think it would either, but I have found the OEM fans to outperform any slimlines I've ever had on my car. I used to have just the OEM radiator fan with a slimline pusher on the driver side (mounted in front of the AC compressor). It worked just find until we had a few weeks of 90% humidity at like 100* and I wanted to drive with the A/C on. Coolant temps were around 216-218 which is way higher than I like to run. I have DSMLink programmed to flag the CEL at 213 and when it comes on I start to worry. After fitting the stock A/C fan back on, the light never came on again.

I found that to get it to fit you must remove the radiator fan and slide the A/C fan in from that side; you can't just slide it straight down. Its been installed for months like that and don't have any issues with melting fan blades.

GPTourer said:
I want this to be the last manifold I buy even if I decided to go to a FP30 later.
If your going to go with an fp30 at some point they use a 44mm vband tial. So yo8u wouldn't be able to use a manifold mounted one anyways. Unless you found a way to block off the vband outlet on the turbo.

It's not a special o2 housing. It's cast right into the turbine housing. So going another route would be difficult at best. They never intended for anybody to use a different method.

For anyone about to buy this manifold, BEWARE. I bought this manifold and It cracked really bad after the first Month it was on my car. Slowboy told me this was due to the port and polish job I paid them to perform and that the next one I got would not be ported and polished (Lost $50). Also this is on my everyday driver so I had to buy another one from slow boy, swap it and then ship the old one back to them to get a refund. Now 3 months later the new one cracked AGAIN! I called Slow boy and they don't have any in stock. Long story short they tell me to call every two weeks to see when they are getting more in. I have been calling for 2 months now.

FYI: I even asked them if they would let me return it and use the credit towards the purchase of a different manifold and they won't. So again I say beware on this purchase.

where did yours crack?
i've had mine for well over a year now.
not a problem with it at all. i get it hot as hell, and it still has its dull grey coating on it, not really any rust at all. i'm very impressed with this manifold.

i was able to keep my stock fans too.
i'm using a massive(external dimentionswise) turbonetics deltagate mark 2.(got it practically for free, doesn't leak, doesn't creep)
all i had to do was take a dremmel and cut off just one of the arms that goed from the fanshroud to the fan motor. The fan still works perfectly. it hads plenty of support, and i have zero problems.

I am very pleased.

oh btw, mine is ported as well.

I know I got to this thread kind of late, but...

What is everyones' opinion on the fact that it doesn't have that divider wall in the collector area? Isn't that wall very important, especially with the configuration of the runners (pointing at each other)? Now the exhaust pluses come out and ram straight into each other or blow into the opposite runner. This can't be good for reversion.

I was just about to buy this manifold until I saw that...

MyBeatGSX said:

What is everyones' opinion on the fact that it doesn't have that divider wall in the collector area? Isn't that wall very important, especially with the configuration of the runners (pointing at each other)? Now the exhaust pluses come out and ram straight into each other or blow into the opposite runner. This can't be good for reversion.

That is how it came with the porting ordered. I see no ill effects in spool or drivability, the wall is not cut down nearly as much as it appears in the pictures, it's just rounded out a lot.

Mine cracked at the colloctor between bolts 2 and 4 both times.

when looking at it from the front of the car bolts layed out in the following

When I contacted Slowboy they said they had a list of people who were waiting for replacements and they had issues with the first few batches. It really sucks because before this I was a big fan of Slowboy Racing. I have a Mitsu Club meet coming up October 14th and don't want a bunch of my club members staring at a cracked SBR manifold and knowing this is the second one I have had that cracked. I even tried to see if I could get a credit for it to move up to a different one but they wouldn't let me. I'll get pics for your viewing pleasure.

NeoZer0 said:
For anyone about to buy this manifold, BEWARE. I bought this manifold and It cracked really bad after the first Month it was on my car.

Your cases have been the only ones I have heard about their new manifolds cracking. I've had mine since last winter and drive mine daily year round with no problems at all. I also had the SBR port and polish job done on it. Did they replace your 2nd unit (assuming you didn't get the port and polish job again)?

MyBeatGSX said:

That scared me when I first saw the pics as well, so I called up SBR and talked to them about it. They said it was to increase exhaust flow and it wouldn't hurt spool-up at all. Syndicate is right, its not quite as bad as it looks in pics. There is enough of a the divider left to help divert the pulses. I figured I'd give it a shot and it's worked well for me. The only problem I've ever had is the threads for the wastegate stripped out once, but a $1 tap fixed that easily enough.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back