The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

New rims, but not tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMhelex

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2003
Du Bois, Pennsylvania
couple questions...
i have my stock tires on my talon now w/ stock rims.... theres still alot of tread left on my stock tires, considering its NEVER been driven in the winter and only has 24000 miles on it. anyway, my question is, what size are the stock rims on a 97 talon (16", right?), and should i get new tires with them?

i figure, if its better to get a combo, then i should get a bigger rim too...

any input would be appreciated...

You will probaly want to get new rims and tires. If you go with a set of aftermarcket 16's most of them will be wider than the stock tires. If you are after a performance based wheel. I would recomend going with 16's or 17's with a 225 or 235 wide tire.

Go with a 17" rim/tire combo from Whalentire.com if you don't really care that much about tires. They got great deals. If you want really good tires, I would get the rims from whoever has the ones you want for the cheapest and get your tires separate from Tirerack. For a decent set of 4 wheels and tires, you can spend about 1000 bux and get something real decent.

ok so if possible, i could get 16" rims, wrap them in my stock tires for a few months until my next paycheck, when i get enough for decent tires?
or should i just buy the rims and let them sit in my garage until i get money for tires, and put them on all at once....

the reason i ask is there is a sale on rims at a local store, and i only have enough for rims...

Originally posted by DSMhelex
ok so if possible, i could get 16" rims, wrap them in my stock tires for a few months until my next paycheck, when i get enough for decent tires?
or should i just buy the rims and let them sit in my garage until i get money for tires, and put them on all at once....

the reason i ask is there is a sale on rims at a local store, and i only have enough for rims...

Just buy 17" rims now and save for the tires later. Keep your stock wheels and tires on until you can afford new ones.. Trust me, the first option is a waste of funds..

If it was me I would just buy the rims now and just let em sit for a while. Thats what I did:) my mr7's are sittin in my room now. I was afraid if I waited I would waste the money on stupid stuff, it kills you that they're just sittin there but you can't pass up on a good deal. Also, I suggest you buy your tires from www.tires.com Shipping is free on any size order.

okay, i went to the store today, and i was talking to the guy there, and he was telling me i should go for chrome plated ones because "machined" rims always chip.... i personally think this is a load of BS, and i really like these rims, but it has me thinking... is this true?
the guy said if theres any dents, the paint on them will chip off, and look bad. does anyone have any experience on this or is this just bs?
i dont drive my car in the winter so im thinking it wont be as bad.

heres the rims i want:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Originally posted by DSMhelex
okay, i went to the store today, and i was talking to the guy there, and he was telling me i should go for chrome plated ones because "machined" rims always chip.... i personally think this is a load of BS, and i really like these rims, but it has me thinking... is this true?
the guy said if theres any dents, the paint on them will chip off, and look bad. does anyone have any experience on this or is this just bs?
i dont drive my car in the winter so im thinking it wont be as bad.

heres the rims i want:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If you take good care of your car in the summer time (or when you drive it) and wash your wheels, powdercoated wheels won't chip or flake off. I'm not a big fan of Bling-Bling chrome wheels but, whatever floats your boat. Typically the same rim in chrome is gonna cost you more money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back