The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New Ride, What do i got here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper308

Proven Member
Dec 10, 2012
Bay City, Michigan
just picked up a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo AWD. This is my first foreign car, and im usually into very large pickups. It has 81000 miles and is garage kept. immaculate. not a single ding, and no scratches. Now these are some things i know are done to it:
3g Lifters
I am told it has a Stage 3 Turbo??( i could get numbers off this to find out the exact model)
K&N Intake.
Some sort of short shifter Not familiar with this
Suspension all redone, lowered an inch and all adjustable
Also has bars in the hatchback and under the hood that stretch the length of the car to handle torque(cant remember the name)
Performance exhaust 3 inch all the way back

Now you can see how unfamiliar i am...again im from the world of 70's muscle and very large pickups.... i am not going to play the know it all kid, im looking for serious info on what i need to look for, and maybe(hopefully) a better understand at what i got here.

i cant strees enough, i have no idea what i got myself into here and i literally just talked to a guy yesterday and was made to understand the mechanics of a turbo Lol. im in a whole new world here.

Thanks!

Probably for the most help, I'd recomend getting as many picks as you can for us and i'm sure people would gladly help you out.

Turbos don't come in stages, part #'s would help.

If the turbo is not stock, you best hope that the fuel system and ECU/Tune are set to support it.

If you can find any sort of boost controller but you don't have a wideband oxygen sensor and gauge in the car, and there is no form of tuning device you could have a real mess on your hands.

Pull some spark plugs to see whats going on in there and do a compression test if you have not done so.

Test the coolant system for hydrocarbons.

Buy a field service manual.

Spend lots of time researching on here.

If you can service a Small Block Ford or Chevy, you'll be right at home with your 4G63. Only difference is the snail hanging it off it and there's another cam.

If it's got 80k on the clock and the previous owner can't describe a full maintainence history for you, plan on changing the timing belt and tensioner.

Check crank end-play, and consider a balance shaft deletion for piece of mind.

Welcome to the forum.

Got some pics?? Also, these cars were built in Illinois. No foreign here! ;)

Stage 3 turbo?? Definitely will have to get some part numbers for us.

Those bars, are strut bars.. Not really needed and be careful, a lot of people will short the battery on them if the battery isnt secured.

The exhaust and 3g lifters are probably the only decent mod as of now, Im betting the previous owner cheaped out on that "stage 3 turbo".

Also, without maintenance caught up and supporting mods, that turbo is kind of pointless.

Start here DSM 4G63 Maintenance Guide - DSMtuners Then continue onto here Tech Guide: 2G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners

Ninja edit: Welcome to the site, start reading man. TONS of info on here.

Got some pics?? Also, these cars were built in Illinois. No foreign here! ;)

Stage 3 turbo?? Definitely will have to get some part numbers for us.

Those bars, are strut bars.. Not really needed and be careful, a lot of people will short the battery on them if the battery isnt secured.

The exhaust and 3g lifters are probably the only decent mod as of now, Im betting the previous owner cheaped out on that "stage 3 turbo".

Also, without maintenance caught up and supporting mods, that turbo is kind of pointless.

Start here DSM 4G63 Maintenance Guide - DSMtuners Then continue onto here Tech Guide: 2G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners

Stage 3 turbo... this isn't need for speed. Hate it when people say that. 14b, HX-35,T-25 all sound so much better as do all of the other larger turbos :). Pic of the engine bay would be nice :)

Welcome to the site. You will be able to find anything and everything that has happened to a dsm here. Those numbers on the turbo will be on the aluminum part of the turbo. You might have to takethe cold air intake pipe off to get a good read. Once you have those numbers, just type it in the search bar, and go from there.
Careful, these cars are addictive if you're patient, a hassle if you rush things.

Pics will definitely help you here as most of us can identify it quickly that way. Just make sure to take a picture of the turbo's compressor housing (to figure that one out) preferably with all the serial numbers stamped onto it. Either way, a 2g GSX is never a bad buy, a wallet muncher, but never a bad buy :p

Bought from T_scott from the Tri-cities area? That guy didn't cheap out on anything. One clean ass GSX. Good luck with it!

Can you link his fs thread so we can get some pics and a better idea as to what goodies lie within the car the OP just purchased?

OP: Yes, im with everyone else on this, if you are unable to tell us what you have exactly and wish to know more then pictures/part numbers will be required.

Yeah that was my old car. It has the stock turbo. Car is not hacked up at all. Basically the car is stock...

List of mods:
- Custom 3" turbo back exhaust (quiet)
- 3g lifters
- Injen Recirculating cold air intake
- Megan strut bars (front and rear)
- Megan Coilovers
- Fluidamper Harmonic Balancer
- Anti-Sway bars (front and rear)
- NGK plugs and wires
- Centerforce clutch with OEM throwout bearing
- B&M Short Throw Shifter and symbroski brass bushings
- Full tint
- Evo 8 rims (Plasti-Dip Black)
- Optima Red-Top Battery

Other:
- Passenger front and rear wheel bearings replaced as of 07/19/12
- New master and slave cylinder as of 08/10/12
- New driver side tie rod as of 08/17/12

Why do people always post a thread with their new car and never respond?! Do they forget their login info or something?

We wanna see the car, damnit!

Why do people always post a thread with their new car and never respond?! Do they forget their login info or something?

We wanna see the car, damnit!

They probably don't realize how active this forum is LOL. I know I was surprised at first.

So why did he think there was a "stage 3" turbo in it? Sounds like he was paying attention if he could name details like "3G Lifters"

I believe he is talking about the MHI EVO3 16G turbo that I told him I had. It is not in the car, however, and I told him it wasn't in the car.

my brother typed this up, my bad. yeah the turbo is stock as he said, just trying to get a better idea of maintenance and such, im out of my comfort zone here and just trying to get some quick tips, been in class all day and havn't had a chance to check back.

Nice seeing you T_Scott, its no surprise your on here seeing there isnt many decent sites in this regards...not nearly s big as the Jeep Community from what ive seen, hopefully im only scratching the surface. So this Turbo is not inner Cooled? whats that entail? is there any difference in upkeep on the two?

@T_Scott, i noticed the new gasket, that was you with the top half rebuilt wasn't it? Also i noticed there are some sync problems when shifting. ###### gotta pull the Engine for this??

ya wutevar br0 yur a scammar

(joke)

From what ive seen hes straight so far, no issues other than the sync. Clean Clean Car thus far. I might have said something to my brother that slipped him up when he was posting this. Lots of Stock on the car, i like it that way but you never know what ill get myself into.

Under The Hood
^^Thanks to T_Scott^^ i'll find time to scramble up some pics of my own soon.

Last edited:
my brother typed this up, my bad. yeah the turbo is stock as he said, just trying to get a better idea of maintenance and such, im out of my comfort zone here and just trying to get some quick tips, been in class all day and havn't had a chance to check back.

Nice seeing you T_Scott, its no surprise your on here seeing there isnt many decent sites in this regards...not nearly s big as the Jeep Community from what ive seen, hopefully im only scratching the surface. So this Turbo is not inner Cooled? whats that entail? is there any difference in upkeep on the two?

@T_Scott, i noticed the new gasket, that was you with the top half rebuilt wasn't it? Also i noticed there are some sync problems when shifting. ###### gotta pull the Engine for this??

From what ive seen hes straight so far, no issues other than the sync. Clean Clean Car thus far. I might have said something to my brother that slipped him up when he was posting this. Lots of Stock on the car, i like it that way but you never know what ill get myself into.

Under The Hood
^^Thanks to T_Scott^^ i'll find time to scramble up some pics of my own soon.

I have never once had a problem with that transmission. Try pressing the clutch down farther. The turbo is connected to the stock side mount intercooler located behind the front bumper on the passenger side.If you would like a front mount intercooler i have one with all of the piping for sale sitting in my garage.
And everything was redone when the 3G Lifters were put in. That, however, was done by the previous owner.

I have never once had a problem with that transmission. Try pressing the clutch down farther. The turbo is connected to the stock side mount intercooler located behind the front bumper on the passenger side.If you would like a front mount intercooler i have one with all of the piping for sale sitting in my garage.
And everything was redone when the 3G Lifters were put in. That, however, was done by the previous owner.

teeth are hitting in 3rd and 2nd, anytime your sitting still or coasting with the clutch to the floor and take it into gear slow it will grind, which would be a sync gear, normally from slamming gears when moving fast if im not mistaken(not pointing fingers, just an observation). It doesn't kick gears or anything, just a prolonged thing im scared it will wear. other than that smooth as a baby's ass.
Okay on the previous owner, i assumed it was all done in one swoop.
Yeah i seen the pipe going to the front bumper, again im still reading up on turbos and what nots. familiarizing myself.
It's definitely a fun Street car, this thing corners like a demon

And one last thing, any info on the timing belt? told they are rated at around 70k-80k miles.

i feel ya man, i came to dsm's from building mostly mustangs and a few nice turbo imports but my brain is still wired "ford" my best advise is read, read, read.. then read more.. then when your eyes bleed, read more... then keep reading.. then think.. sleep.. read.. eat, read.. then go to sleep again.. then read..

The really great thing i've found about dsms is the absolutely insane amount of info out there. It seems to me like all the moron ricer kids have moved on or grown out of cars and whats left in the DSM community are really mature, knowledgeable enthusiast. As new comers to the dsm world we truly are standing on the shoulders of giants. btw that car looks amazing.. im jellly.

Ahhh, I remember a year ago when I knew nothing about my dsm. Now ive completely rebuilt the entire motor, put in multiple gauges, exhaust, leather interior, safc's, avcr's, you name it. I dont think there is a bolt I havnt had a wrench on atleast once, most probably three times. Dude all you have to do is remember this website and utilize the search bar. It might take you some time, but you will find ANYTHING you ever need. I didn't buy a book for a long time thanks to this website. Congrats on the car and dont be too afraid, working on these cars is actually quite simplistic.

The 3g lifters have larger holes in them which decrease the chance of them getting clogged and/or collapsing which causes lifter tick. I just had those put into my car.

If your still learning about turbos dont do the newb thing and crank the boost up as high as you can. Leave it at stock until you get the supporting mods which should be in the link posted somewhere above.

Well I have never once had a problem with the transmission. Ever. My friend is a certified mechanic and even never had a problem when driving it.... The transmission shop looked at the car before I ordered the master and slave cylinder and said it was all fine. Water pump and timing belt were replaced at 69,621 miles.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back