The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

New Records - Mitsu FWD, FWD/Gas, and DSM Gas by Kiggly Racing at Brainerd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiggly

Supporting Vendor
Feb 17, 2003
Ann Arbor, Michigan
After some battles early this season, I finally was able to put down a few full and semi-full passes at MAPerformance's race in Brainerd this past weekend. We had a fantastic time and the facilities were great along with a bunch of friendly people at and around the track. It was a long drive, but beautiful countryside up in northern Minnesota. We ended up scrambling to make some IHRA->NHRA transfer licensing passes and winning Q16 at the end of the day.

The Q16 class was a little thin, but there was an 8.0sec supra and an 8.2sec ford probe converted to RWD with a supra engine. Those were the boostwerx cars, we pitted next to them and they were a couple very cool guys. Unfortunately for them, their cages were only certified to 8.50's and the officials weren't bending on that rule. They both just tried to set their cars up to run 8.50's. I was the only car in the class legal to run down to 7.50's.

First qualifying pass was a 'moderate' licensing pass. I had a decent launch at 1.376, then a 5.556 1/8th at a new best 134.97mph, lifted at the 1000' and coasted to 8.608 at 144.60mph.

Second qualifying pass was next to the Probe. It was actually a damn good race! I cut a 0.196 light to his 0.308 and the rest of the timeslip read:
1.350 60'
3.655 330'
5.522 @ 136.14 1/8th
7.110 1000'
8.456 @ 166.60 1/4
He ran 8.598 at 161.32mph, we were within a couple car lengths through the traps.

Third qualifying I let off after I heard a funny noise just past the 1/8th. It turned out the inlet pipe to the turbo came off.
1.372 60'
3.680 330'
5.540 @ 136.33 1/8th
coasted to 9.232 @ 115mph

First eliminations pass I got to run the 8.5's-today Supra. It was a hell of a fun race. He wheelied badly, lifted, wheelied again and rode it out.
Supra----Me----Marker
0.104---0.206---R/T - he tree'd me
1.239---1.346---60' - his was on the rear tires
3.669---3.638---330' - new best for me
5.634---5.499---1/8th - new best for me
126.02--136.17--1/8th mph
7.313---7.080---1000' - new best for me
8.797---8.424---1/4 - new FWD gas, FWD mitsu, and DSM gas record
143.02--166.52--1/4 mph
MOV 0.2713

He drove the hell out of it and I was just watching him for both of the wheelies deciding if I wanted to stay in it or not depending on how straight he was going. He kept it damn straight, so I didn't lift. This was a hell of a fun pass.

Next pass was a bye, then the finals was against a high 9-sec GM-powered Porsche 928. I spun the tires a little harder through 2nd and ran 8.478 at 167.07mph on a 1.385 60'

The first few passes were at ~40psi and the last couple at ~42psi. I think I have a good bit more power on the table with a couple other changes that we will hopefully get a chance to test next weekend. Brainerd hooked decent, but with all the radials running all day it wasn't anywhere near as good as a track that is being prepped on a day where everybody is running slicks. I was spinning the tires badly and I know some more ET is still hiding there. I couldn't be happier with the consistency though!

I'm also now revving the stroker to 9200rpm. It is at or a little over 9100rpm through the traps, but I was having trouble keeping it from bumping the revlimiter at least once in 1st gear. That shift is by feel and it is really making some steam up there now, so combined with the mediocre track conditions keeping it off the limiter was a little tricky.

Have to thank the guys that have been helping me out:
FP and their killer cams - Forced Performance
Wiseco Pistons - Wiseco Pistons
Precision Industries Torque Converter - Precision Industries
Borg Warner/Airwerks 74mm S400SX3 74/83 turbo - Airwerks
Monkeywrench Racing - Monkeywrench Racing

There are a couple videos on youtube and I'll hopefully get some other videos from people at the track to make my own compilation of the event.

For now, here is the run against the Supra in first round eliminations:

YouTube - Kiggly racing talon vs Boostwerx supra

And the finals against the 928:

YouTube - Kiggly Racing's FWD Laser @ Brainerd

Thanks for reading,

Kevin

Awesome write-up and a helluva good time it sounds like!

BIG CONGRATS on the new record.......i'm sure there is still more to come.

Pat

Did anyone else just get the butterfly feeling??

Thats sick man! love the 20+mph trap speed face rape!

Wow Kevin, that's great news. Sounds like it was a pretty exciting weekend. I can't wait to see you guys at E-town.

Congrats on the new DSM-GAS record!!!! That Laser moves out! It's come a long way since the 2004 shootout which is the last time I saw you run.

Holy balls dude! Great track times and ET's with AWESOME 60's Kevin!

I am seriously impressed with that setup man! I only hope that I can get anywhere into the 8's on my setup! I think I might need to do quite a bit of weight reduction and more suspension dial time to get there on a 5-speed though.

Congratulations on the new records! Especially now being the 3rd fastest all-turbo 4G63 car in the world! Freaking amazing dude!

I like the new vids especially the angle from way up top above the track VERY KOOL!

Wow Kevin I am sure that beast is gonna go faster . We need a Bells trip again :)

wow that inspired me to wanna keep building my fwd laser..its joke to many ppl but when you see fwd laser go 8s thats amazing.great runs

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back