The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

New Radiator w/o temp sensor bung

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I just got a new radiator that doesn't have a temp sensor bung in the bottom like the factor 1g radiator has. My question is, do I need that temperature sensor? I have searched and I can't find a clear cut answer as to what exactly that sensor's responsibility is. I am removing my a/c at the same time of the radiator install, and will only be running one slim fan as a puller for now.

If I do need the sensor, that's fine, I will just have to pay to get it welded in, but I would rather avoid that option if possible. This is the only diagram I could find that indicates I would need the sensor to power the main radiator fan. Thanks

Image courtesy of awdmonster1904 ->http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-electrical-wiring/345217-slim-fan-wiring-relay.html(12/3/2011)

Attachments

• FanWiringDiagramBig.jpg
    FanWiringDiagramBig.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 347
There are two sensors for coolant temp, the one that goes to the ecu to allow for open and closed loop, and one that goes to you gauge in your dash.

It is vital for the coolant temp sensor for the ECU to be used, your ecu need to know what temp the car is at.

The one for the gauge, is not needed. It is smart to have it to see if your car is over heating, but thats about all that its good for, without any quantitative information from that gauge its really useless unless you need to know, high and low temps.

A solution to not having the temp sensor bung in the radiator is to place it where the AC switch, that is if you dont have AC in your car anymore. It will work just as if the sensor was placed in the radiator.

goodluck

Perfect, so I can just pull the connector off the sensor in the thermostat housing for the a/c, and just plug in the connector that was in the radiator.

Perfect, so I can just pull the connector off the sensor in the thermostat housing for the a/c, and just plug in the connector that was in the radiator.

no you can not just swap connectors then AC switch needs to be removed then the sensor put in its place. Both thread holes are 3/8 BPST, so it should be an easy swap.

Edit: well you might be able to, but I dont know what temperature the AC switch activates, I would just swap with a coolant temp sensor and be done.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back