The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New project screwed over on motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getatmydsm

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2010
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
I just bought this 93 laser guy told me it was in running order when he parked it. I get it home start tearing down the motor come to realize piston number 2 is just sitting in the cylinder. Upon further inspection the rod was ripped from the piston and is jammed in the crank. So yea kinda disappointing but any out there got any ideas and or short blocks

I have a 6 bolt .020 over block, it probably needs bored to the next spec though as the pistons were rather loose in their bores when I tore it down, I have a crank as well, but it would need a rod journal cut because it spun a rod bearing. Mind you the 4g63 cranks aren't supposed to be cut, but I leave that to your discretion if you're interested or not(I personally would nut use a cut crank). I do also have some factory sized pistons and rods from my donor engine if you find a usable stock bore block and need rods and pistons. Hard to say what it would take to use what you have without knowing the extent of the damage, is the cylinder bore tore up? is the crank tore up? are the other cylinders and pistons decent? Does it turn over nice and smooth by hand? And what do you mean by jammed in the crank?

Oh and fwiw, sorry to hear about your bad luck, if it makes you feel any better I've been screwed over big time on every performance car I've bought...after about $5k into my talon and most of the problems fixed, i drove it for a week before it spun a rod bearing. But at this point I'm so far into it I may as well keep fixing it, then at least I'll have a car that I know is done right.

I am interested in the pistons and rods you have. The rod was under the crank and was preventing the crank from turning

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back