1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

***NEW PRODUCT*** world first! 4G63 Rocker Blocker brackets

Posted by ec17pse, Oct 15, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Hello Tuners

Once again I have been working hard behind the scenes in my whacky lab (at work haha)

This time its not just DSM specific but 4G63 engine related, I have and always will offer my developments to you all here on DSMtuners first. Its a world first for this type of product for the 4G63!

IMG_20191004_064038.jpg IMG_20191004_064108.jpg

These are designed to keep the rockers on or contain it incase an event that causes them to try and jump off into another rocker thus limiting damage or even not getting any damage at all. You will either save your engine or lower costs of fixing it.

They do not get in anythings way on the camshaft or block any oil pathways.

So welcome to my product which I am calling the 4G63 rocker blocker.

It works in all 4G63 engines from DSM to EVO and fitment has been confirmed on both.
    **Evos require zero modification
    **DSM requires a small amount of trimming on the valve cover baffle legs that face towards the spark plug cover. Tin / aerospace snips will do this just fine and metal shaving free.
    Other then that nothing else needs doing.

Its made from 2mm Zintec steel precision laser cut and CNC folded for accuracy,

Whats in the kit!
    8x brackets for the cam caps.
    24x new high tensile flanged low profile bolts (complete cam cap bolt replacement).

Price includes shipping to lower 48 USA only, anywhere else please contact me so i can get a quote for you.

Price will be $150 USD but first batch orders will receive it discounted and pay only $135! This is just as a thank you to you all for the support over the years and to give back to you all. Payment will be required up front to get on the list for the discount.

If you have any questions as always please do ask.

Im going to have a cut off date on december 6th. After this first batch the price will be $150

##Simulation was tested on a dropped lifter / broken spring and it retains it well, its not something to use as a continued fix/solution but as a precaution and i suggest checking on them over time to see if you have a rocker jumping or hitting the bracket and fix your issue and not rely on this to band aid your issues! I cannot and wont be liable for engine negligence!##

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019

Road Race Build 8K  10  50

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Hey Bobby, have you been throwing rockers? I honestly wasn't aware this was a problem people are running into... Anybody have ideas about the cause of the problem instead of a fail-safe for after the problem occurs?

Street Build 60  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  8

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    YEP, don't let your timing pulley get loose on the crank and throw the timing off, creating HAVOC under the valve cover. If I had these on when that happened to me, I wouldn't have a broken valve cover and nasty marks inside the top of the head, where lifters just jumped off the band wagon willy nilly and got jammed between a cam lobe and the side of the head. Ruined 2 rockers, the valve cover, all 16 valves and I still don't have it fixed. That was 2 years ago. :banghead:
    Nice protective product Bobby! It wouldn't have saved my head but it would have cut down on the repair costs for sure. Keep up the good work! :thumb:
    Marty

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

399  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

400  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 574  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  4. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    I have not myself but asking many people its an issue and mainly due to lifter failiure.

I just want to protect myself on every angle possible as i like to do so LOL

An over rev or miss shift can cause a rocker to jump, regrinds are a main culprit of rockers jumping too so many effects of it doing so, alot of people i asked in the evo world said they had a lifter fail, you can opt for solid lifters but most dont want to

SAKJR and rabenne like this.
  5. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Very interesting. That makes good sense. Its so simple and elegant... Nice work! Maybe it will help keep more DSM head castings alive? LOL

I had never heard of that as an issue but if its wiping out motors or even just heads, it looks like a good investment. :thumb:

Street Build 60  5

awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  8

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Thank you. A camshaft could be called a consumeable and easily replaced if a rocker jumps and traps but if the rockers jumps and knocks off another rocker it could cause the pistons to hit a valve and ruin the block and thats more money then a camshaft.

I cannot solve every issue but i can certsinly try help it and this for me was a decent start

1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  7. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    I looked into 1 piece CNC caps but was costly and end user needed line boring so was a no go and opted for a simplistic option with best results.

If you google it you will be welcomed by a good amount of pictures / people having issues

8. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Yea the 1 pc caps would be super pricey... I really do think this is an elegant solution!

I took your advice and did a quick search, LOTS of results! Seems its mostly an issue with people running regrinds and shims under the lifters. Hopefully I wont have to worry about it, but I am glad you made me aware.

You must have access to some excellent tools, Bobby... Did you contract these out, or were they done in house? Pardon my ignorance, just curious because I am having trouble finding someone to prototype one of my designs. I guess nobody running a machine shop around here also has a DSM.

I know you are over the big pond, but I might just have to see if you can help point me in the right direction...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

Street Build 60  5

awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  8

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Issues range from many things so it can always change .

While i can do alot of things i cannot do this so we have people local we work with and i offer them work to keep it local and trades going.

I do all the initial developments and hand made ones as samples. But if you need help just ask as i will always see if i can help others out if i am able to

10. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    I hate to discourage people, but this is a BAAD IDEA. The rocker will not come off unless your valve train is out of control. The rocker coming off is telling you "hey dumbass, sh**s f***ed, fix me" . If you prevent the rocker from coming off, this message gets ignored, and then you have really really big problems, like dropped valves. So instead of a broken valve cover, you get a broken motor. When a head comes off a valve, you generally SCRAP EVERYTHING. This is more than just not enough spring, a bad lifter is also uncontrolled valve train, and will drop a valve.

Same deal on V8 sh** with valve guided rockers vs shaft mounts, or guideplates. If the valve guided rockers fail, your valve train is way out of control, and you need to fix it.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
    Dhan likes this.
  11. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    You cannot control a dropped lifter it just happens. So you cannot account for that and the rocker possibly jumping into another causing alot more damage, at least this way you get a chance to keep the valves working even if its half useable but not allow the rocker to escape.

I picked uo an evo head for free because a rocker kept jumping out, he changed the lifters and it did it again but this time knocking the next door rocker off and that resulted in causing the whole engine to break. If the rocker was able to be kept on then it would not of kicked its next doors buddy off and possibly just made light damage with the head only but instead it was the whole motor wrecked.

With these at least the valve still works even if it is half used due to the lifter being an issue. But the other end is just trying to prevent excess damage.

I understand your concerns. Not everything is ideal and well setup all the time and things happen like most things do and a small chance to prevent a major cost is a good direction i believe. Why would we not want to prevent excessive damage?

12. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Yes, but if a lifter drops, and it doesn't kick a rocker, and you keep running it, eventually that valve will break, and destroy everything. If it kicks a rocker it at least prevents further fatigue to the valve, and allerts you to the problem.

I hope you understand that the first and last portion of the ramps are the opening and closing ramps. These gently lift off, and gently set the valves back on the seat, avoiding fatigue. If you have a collapsed lifter you skip these soft ramps and go right into the main ramp. Essentially hammering the valve open, and slamming it shut, letting it bounce on the seat when it closes. This fatigues the valve and they break.

This is why big power N/A V8 guys spend thousands of dollars on a spin-tron machine to investigate how the valve train is performing to avoid this sort of issue.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  13. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    The first time it kicks a rocker you should fix the problem, instead of masking it. Seriously, there are hundreds of guys running very large cams on 4g's and not kicking rockers - because they are setup and maintained well. Christ, my car has seen 11k several times with basic kiggly street springs, old ass 1g lifters, and kelford 272's. There isn't a problem, and if there was I would want to know, so I could fix it before this happened.

Attached Files:

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  14. Mech Addict

Mech Addict Proven Member

Joined Jun 9, 2019
    Jackson, Wyoming
    interesting product and very catchy name. I like the simple construction, looks like a factory stamped item, the way real automakers build things (easy to mass-produce). No billet necessary. As far as whether they are needed, I agree that this is an easy add-on that could save a lot of damage, and has little down-side. Like a fire extinguisher. I don't intent to rap my motor above factory redline, and would be better off spending the time, effort, and money on simply bringing my car's bones back to factory correct (belts, bearings, hoses). But if I were looking at hotrodding, this might be on my list.

Street Build 275  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  15. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    I agree it should never happen if its setup right but it does happen no matter what setup or precautions you take, doing nothing still can ruin an engine so in your eyes nothing is right.
    I wish i could fully agree but i cannot just because my research has shown many extreme cases of total engine failiure/destroyed when a rocker jumps and causes a chain reaction. If you can prevent that the chances of saving it go up.

In one of my setups it was actually collecting the rocker and jamming it inbetween the blocker and casting holding it in place so it does not move around and lets the valve close sith out nothing touching it. So if thats a solution it can be re adjusted to mimic this, its a simple change in lower bend angle being done to the bracket.

16. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Thank you for your comment. I could have gone and over engineered this but keeping it simple was the easiest choice for ease or install because its alot less hastle for the end user, just bolt this in and trim that baffle leg and done.

No one wants to use any safety or protection like you say on the extinguisher but thats our lets call it insursnce policy! But its in place just in case and this is one of those cases.