The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

New Oil feed line for $10 or less!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I searched thru here trying to find answers to my questions about oil feed lines to no avail..i got a few replies, but none had the info i was looking for.....

but anyway here we go...

I have a 90 Laser RST fwd...the oil supply holes in the head were stripped out when i bought the car....So i need a way to get oil to the turbo....well, i soon found that there are Stainless Steel lines that reroute flow to come from the oil cooler to the turbo..thus bringing in clean and cool oil from the filter instead of the left over oil that had gone thru the rest of the engine first....These kits are sold online for $60 - $80.... I set out on my task of finding a cheaper way of acheiving this...I soon found and won a SS line from Ebay(which is now for sale) the line was the right size but requires fittings....Being the impatient DSM owner than most of us are(this took place at about 8pm Sat night)...i had to improvise...knowing what these lines are is important...the SS lines are basically fuel injector hose wrapped in SS with fitting on each end.....that being know, i went down to AutoZone and set out on my task...i took my old hard(stock) oil supply line with me...

Sorry this is so long and drawn out....

Anyway... cut the old line using a pipe cutter and flare the line at the cut...

1 peice of fuel injector line 26" in length.. (Free - should cost about $5)

1 3/8" NPT fitting with a nipple ( $.65)

2 hose clamps ( $1.69 pack of 4)

1 exhaust patch tape ( $1.99)
----------------------------------------

Total cost: $9.33

remove the plug from the oil cooler housing and install the 3/8" fitting...

wrap the hose with the exhaust tape....

put clamp on hose and put hose on fitting nipple....tighten the clamp and feen the line up(next to the fan).....

install the piece of the original oil line back onto the turbo(using the original banjo bolt) with the newly flared end facing the radiator....

place the 2nd clamp on the hose and push onto the line from the turbo....tighten teh 2nd hose clamp....

--------------------------------------------------

there you have it...your new oil cooler line for less than $10...

if you are worried about the new line being able to withstand things, keep in mind this:

1. fuel injector line is rated to 300psi ( our oil pressure is 30-50psi)

2. the exhaust tape sheilds temps upto 1200 degrees (our exhaust temps shouldn't reach over 800)

hopefully i can help someone else with all this info....

later,

~Tony

3 weeks and i found my first problem...the clamp on the tubo end startd coming loose.....got to find a different way to clamp the hose to the hard line, other than that all is well....

Er.... that's not a good place to be using flexible line. You might take those ends to a bearing supply shop near you, and they can probably make you up a braided stainless line for a lot less than that engine fire's gonna cost to fix when the rubber hose dies.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back