The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

New OEM pistons and rings, used block and crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91 AWD

Probationary Member
Apr 27, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Whats a fair price for a set of new OEM pistons, new OEM rings and pins?
The are one good used rods with new bearings. Never installed. brand new and STD size!!
They have been sitting in a box for a few years, but no rust on rods at all..

All so whats a fair price on a bare six bolt bock STD bore and mains, Deck looks good.

All so STD crank, could use polished. but in good shape.

Want to make a guy an offer, but want to be fair

i'll offer 200-300 or forget about the pistons and rings, offer him for just the block and crank for 100-150, but if he can give it to you for 200-300 on everything then its good.

The block has not been checked, we are just guessing it's still STD. It only had 89k on it. Can still see cross in the bore.
Just looking to do another OEM bottom end with some mild head work. Thinking maybe a HX35 at low boost, shooting for 12's maybe 11's. Going to go all ARP fasteners and a SCE copper head gasket with the built-in o-rings and maybe a kiggy to hold the bottom on tight.
$200-300 if it all checks out.. $600-$700 seems high, maybe if it was altogether...

I know that you didn't ask for opinions on your other ideas for the build but I can't resist maybe helping you save some money on unnecessary things! If I only had it to do all over again knowing what I know now...I built a forged motor 6 years ago, and I am only now getting close to the power level where I need it.

I have not heard ANY good things about the SCE copper HG!!! I did a lot of research when I chose my HG. I would go with a composite Felpro and ARPs. I'm running the felpro composite and L19s at 35-38 psi with no issues!

I wouldn't worry about getting ARP anything else for running low 12s/high 11s.

I also wouldn't waste the money on a main girdle at that power level either.

Just trying to help a fellow DSMer save some money! Good luck on the build!

I know that you didn't ask for opinions on your other ideas for the build but I can't resist maybe helping you save some money on unnecessary things! If I only had it to do all over again knowing what I know now...I built a forged motor 6 years ago, and I am only now getting close to the power level where I need it.

I have not heard ANY good things about the SCE copper HG!!! I did a lot of research when I chose my HG. I would go with a composite Felpro and ARPs. I'm running the felpro composite and L19s at 35-38 psi with no issues!

I wouldn't worry about getting ARP anything else for running low 12s/high 11s.

I also wouldn't waste the money on a main girdle at that power level either.

Just trying to help a fellow DSMer save some money! Good luck on the build!

Good looking out, I have a forged motor already in my 93' and already have one all OEM built motor, no extras.
Just looking to do it half right the 1st time, a little extra now helps a lot later. might end up going from low boost to higher boost, you know how that goes..
I haven't heard any thing bad about those head gaskets, maybe need to read up on them some more.. Just thought if FFWD carrys them they have to be good..:hmm:

I agree with my1glaser. A copper HG, O-rings, and Kiggly girdle are serious overkill for your goals. The stock 6-bolt block has gone 9's. Asking for 11/12's from a properly rebuilt and tuned 6-bolt is very reasonable. And IMO, there's no point in running a Holset at low boost. You might as well get something smaller and run it harder.

As for the parts, I would maybe consider the block, crank, and rods. Get them checked out by a machinist. Unless you have a dial bore gauge and calipers, you should assume nothing but the worst. For all you know, the cylinders are out of round, the crank needs to be cut, and the rods need to be honed. So then the pistons and bearings would be useless, and your down by hundreds to the machine shop. That's the exact reason I've never paid more than $100 for a running long block. For all I know it's junk.

You can get brand new NPR 2g (higher compression, bigger wrist pin) pistons for around $100. A decent set of street bearings will run $50-100 brand new. Order them after everything has been checked and worked by the machinist and everything will go much smoother.

I agree with my1glaser. A copper HG, O-rings, and Kiggly girdle are serious overkill for your goals. The stock 6-bolt block has gone 9's. Asking for 11/12's from a properly rebuilt and tuned 6-bolt is very reasonable. And IMO, there's no point in running a Holset at low boost. You might as well get something smaller and run it harder.

As for the parts, I would maybe consider the block, crank, and rods. Get them checked out by a machinist. Unless you have a dial bore gauge and calipers, you should assume nothing but the worst. For all you know, the cylinders are out of round, the crank needs to be cut, and the rods need to be honed. So then the pistons and bearings would be useless, and your down by hundreds to the machine shop. That's the exact reason I've never paid more than $100 for a running long block. For all I know it's junk.

You can get brand new NPR 2g (higher compression, bigger wrist pin) pistons for around $100. A decent set of street bearings will run $50-100 brand new. Order them after everything has been checked and worked by the machinist and everything will go much smoother.

For sure getting it all checked out before I buy anything, he's a good guy, he'll let me take it all and have it looked over before he'll even take any of my money.
Really, the number I gave is just the start. I'm sure after a few weeks I'll be beating on it. I'd rather havemore and not need it than need more and not have it.
I'd rather go with lower compression and make up for it in boost.
I do understand what you guys are saying, I just know I don't want to go back and do something I can do before hand. This motor is going to be built for my son's 90 awd and I'm making him do all the work. Kinda over building yes, but over the long run. To me money well spent to teach him what goes into a soild build. Thanks Guy's...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back