The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

New motor *Help*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manny402

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
I purchased a built motor 4 years ago. My question is, when installed can I fire it rite up or is there something special I have to do before turning it on? Take into consideration it was sitting in a garage winter and summer. Also its a full long block put together ready to drop in. Any advice would help. THANKS

In cases like yours I use a big metal oil container from my machinist that is made so you can pressurize the container. I heat up oil to operating temp (in the container), hook the container up to the oil filter housing, pressurize the container, then open the valve and supply the engine with clean fresh oil at 20-30psi. I turn the crank by hand several rotations to make sure the entire engine has been lubricated. Then I disconnect the container and fire the car up. It might be a bit of overkill but it gives me peace of mind.

Then fill your car with oil, disconnect fuel and spark, crank the engine a whole bunch of times until you're sure it's lubricated. Another thing you can try, if the timing belt isn't installed yet, fill the engine with oil (on engine stand or in the car) then spin the oil pump sprocket with a drill to create oil pressure. Turn the crank by hand at the same time as you spin the drill to get everything lubricated. As long as you drop the engine in the car and fire it up within a reasonable amount of time everything should still be lubed. Even after doing the drill method, I still prime the engine with the cranking method before firing it up. Any of these methods should serve you well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back